X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TwistedGrin View Post
    I have yet to maiden as the weather has not provided opportunity for me yet to test it out.

TwistedGrin
    You are not alone, I’ll likely maiden off of grass as well and dang the weather hasn’t cooperated at all for a maiden. Maybe Saturday; the forecast is looking promising. 🤞

Comment

• The difficulty taking off from grass may not be resolved simply be putting bigger tires on the front. Yesterday, when I flew my B-2, I accidentally landed on the grass just beside the runway. It was a perfect mains down first scenario. What really shocked me was just how much the grass grabbed those main "trucks". As soon as they touched down, it was throwing out an anchor. Driving it out of the grass took tremendous thrust and effort. Overcoming that huge drag on the mains is what's going to limit the rolling speed of this plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        The difficulty taking off from grass may not be resolved simply be putting bigger tires on the front. Yesterday, when I flew my B-2, I accidentally landed on the grass just beside the runway. It was a perfect mains down first scenario. What really shocked me was just how much the grass grabbed those main "trucks". As soon as they touched down, it was throwing out an anchor. Driving it out of the grass took tremendous thrust and effort. Overcoming that huge drag on the mains is what's going to limit the rolling speed of this plane.
        10:4 Based on this observation then the single wheel mains are well advised...will follow through with the modifications

TwistedGrin

Comment

10:4 Based on this observation then the single wheel mains are well advised...will follow through with the modifications

TwistedGrin
          You can always try it first. Your grass may well be far more manicured than the stuff beside my runway. However, unless it's close to a golf green (before mowing), it may not be manicured enough.

Comment

• If you do the mod right it's fairly trivial to swap between lower struts with a single wheel and the standard lowers with the 4 wheel trucks.

Comment

TwistedGrin
              I'd give it a shot first. Considering I got my 70mm F-104 to takeoff from our grass, I'd say there is a good chance it may be ok. I only plan on flying mine from the paved runway at Thunderbird due to all my gear mods though.

Comment

• Curious about how the nose gear support area is holding up on grass ops. After repairing my nose gear “rip-out” caused by trying a different landing technique (never again)….there are some potentially weak areas in the front end that could be problematic on grass. AND…maybe not.

Pretty sure will all the support area re-enforcing I did, the only thing that’ll break now is the servo and/or strut pins.

-GG

By the way, both times I have messed up a landing that placed stress on the nose gear…the servo sustained damage. Good to have some spare servos for this on hand. Reference post 953 below

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

I'd give it a shot first. Considering I got my 70mm F-104 to takeoff from our grass, I'd say there is a good chance it may be ok. I only plan on flying mine from the paved runway at Thunderbird due to all my gear mods though.
                  Aye 10:4 on Thunderbirds....but I have to pack my lunch to get there and back it's a long haul out there.....however still worth the drive for a dedicated B2 flight day and maybe to see a former P-47 airframe!!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    You can always try it first. Your grass may well be far more manicured than the stuff beside my runway. However, unless it's close to a golf green (before mowing), it may not be manicured enough.
                    Possible - our grass field is indeed next to golf course concourse shortnap manicured cut grass......but being a former City Dump....the runway is pretty wavy. So long runouts may not be possible without bouncing up green...thus the ensuing cartwheel death. A short as possible take off will do best

I'll try to get a video of the B2 taking or attempting to take off from our grass field.....as soon as I get the opportunity

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Successful grass ops are more about the ground underneath the grass than the grass itself. One guy flew off grass no problem in Georgia, but the ground underneath is hard packed red clay. Down here in Florida, even though our grass is bermuda cut short, it has soft sandy ground underneath. I couldn't get enough speed to rotate.
                      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                        Curious about how the nose gear support area is holding up on grass ops. After repairing my nose gear “rip-out” caused by trying a different landing technique (never again)….there are some potentially weak areas in the front end that could be problematic on grass. AND…maybe not.

Pretty sure will all the support area re-enforcing I did, the only thing that’ll break now is the servo and/or strut pins.

-GG

By the way, both times I have messed up a landing that placed stress on the nose gear…the servo sustained damage. Good to have some spare servos for this on hand.
                        A lot of their older models seem to be weak around the retract mounts (Su-35, F-14, F-104, Eurofighter) but recent models seem better in this regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

A lot of their older models seem to be weak around the retract mounts (Su-35, F-14, F-104, Eurofighter) but recent models seem better in this regard.
                          They actually starting using glue instead of waving the bottle of the areas... :)

Comment

• For your files…..

Response from MRC Support / Retract servos bare

SKU: ET8402 Freewing Electronic Nose Retract for 5.1mm Diameter Shafts - Type D (with strut pin included) X 1 required

SKU: E840 Freewing Electronic Main Retract for 5.1mm Diameter Shafts - Type B (without strut pin) X 2 required

-GG

Comment

• GG, that info is on the B-2 parts page at Motion. Granted it's on the second page but it's been there...

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                Successful grass ops are more about the ground underneath the grass than the grass itself. One guy flew off grass no problem in Georgia, but the ground underneath is hard packed red clay. Down here in Florida, even though our grass is bermuda cut short, it has soft sandy ground underneath. I couldn't get enough speed to rotate.
                                Agree - Grass is difficult to desribe accurately for most ....the topside turf is indeed only half of the story for a runway as the ground itself is also a contributing factor of the field. Water saturation and turf or "Thatch" concetration also greatly affect how the wheels and weight can roll

TwistedGrin

Comment

• Would it help to take off grass, if you started on a piece of card board first. Undo a box a lay it down. Get the aircraft rolling first then onto the grass?

Comment

• Originally posted by MeyerVW View Post
                                    Would it help to take off grass, if you started on a piece of card board first. Undo a box a lay it down. Get the aircraft rolling first then onto the grass?
                                    I guess you could try it but I have a feeling that won't be enough smooth distance to do anything. As soon as it comes off the box, those trucks hit the grass and it's like you hit the brakes. I remember the Petrincic brothers got theirs some weeks ago and they immediately did an unboxing. We've never seen a maiden flight of it. I'm thinking they couldn't get it off that narrow little rubber strip they use or they used that paved road and cartwheeled it on landing. Probably not video worthy.

Comment

• Replaced my broken servo arm on the port clam shell and hooked everything back up but I'm still off. How much deflection should there be when moving the RIGHT stick left and right (ailerons)? I won't dare maiden until I have these clams where they need to be on both sides. Thanks for any assistance!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                        Replaced my broken servo arm on the port clam shell and hooked everything back up but I'm still off. How much deflection should there be when moving the RIGHT stick left and right (ailerons)? I won't dare maiden until I have these clams where they need to be on both sides. Thanks for any assistance!
                                        I did the RC Air Marshall set up for the control surfaces and it was much easier and straight forward. Once done, I didn't really worry too much about the drag rudder response to AIL input. It just works. I had to go about 65% travel on the rudder channel. Air Marshall went with 70% and others went with 60%. I do however, recall that when going full AIL stick, the wing going UP has it's drag rudder almost fully closed. Flying it is easy. Taking off can be tricky if the plane starts to track to one side too quickly. My Assan steering gyro cures that. The most dangerous is landing with a bounce. If it bounces, FLOOR IT!
                                        I started with about 12mm on the inners based on my friends maiden. It doesn't matter what the outers are if you follow Air Marshalls way. Those will be just what they need to be. I had to DOWN trim ELE several clicks, ending up with what the book says (~8mm and 4mm).

Comment

• Excellent thanks xviper
                                          My YouTube RC videos:
                                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
                                          X