Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Castle, Assian 61. take off full throttle straight down the runway. Slows down your control input of turning to keep it you from flipping it or possible doing wing scrapes.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I've heard of it, but know nothing about it. Could you tell me a bit about it, or where I can get some more info on it??

Thanks,

davegee
       The Assan AG61 is designed for RC Airplane with front steering wheel. The gyroscope controls the steering angle of the steering wheel, corrects the airplane off tracking tendency, and accurately responds to the direction of the rocker steering action to improve the airplane

You hook the nose steering servo and nose retract directly to this device. When the gear is UP, the steering is defeated. The steering on the ground is instantaneously corrected for straight line heading. When you manually steer it, it responds in a "mushy" way and it also comes back to neutral in a mushy way, thereby dampening the steering response to avoid sudden left/right darting. Once it's lined up, it will hold that line without much input. I'm using this thing in a lot of my planes (trike gear only) that have a tendency to "wander" on the roll (take off and landing).

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
         The Assan AG61 is designed for RC Airplane with front steering wheel. The gyroscope controls the steering angle of the steering wheel, corrects the airplane off tracking tendency, and accurately responds to the direction of the rocker steering action to improve the airplane

You hook the nose steering servo and nose retract directly to this device. When the gear is UP, the steering is defeated. The steering on the ground is instantaneously corrected for straight line heading. When you manually steer it, it responds in a "mushy" way and it also comes back to neutral in a mushy way, thereby dampening the steering response to avoid sudden left/right darting. Once it's lined up, it will hold that line without much input. I'm using this thing in a lot of my planes (trike gear only) that have a tendency to "wander" on the roll (take off and landing).
        Hi xviper: thanks for the info on the Assan nose wheel steering gyro. Question: I have a 6 channel Spektrum receiver on my B-2. So, all the ports are full, with the UBEC on the channel 6 port. Do I have to have a dedicated free port to connect the receiver to the steering gyro? Sorry, I'm sorta a "rube" on these things, sometimes! Maybe I could use a Y harness to connect the UBEC to the port going into the battery on the receiver and free up channel 6 port? Maybe you have a better or simpler solution.

I think it would probably help the steering issue with the B-2 with its short coupled gear and bumpy runway. I did see a video for setup, but he omitted exactly how and where you plug in the cables, so if you could amplify that a bit, I'll probably go ahead and order one from RC Castle.

Thanks,

Davegee

Comment

• davegee The steering servo goes into the steering gyro and then you Y that in with the rudder.

Might order a few, you are already paying for shipping. You'll like them for a bumpy runway.

Comment

• davegee No, you don't need a dedicated channel for the Assan. It merely intervenes between the servo signals and the servos.
            IE. Isolate the steering servo lead and plug it into the Assan (all leads are clearly labeled). For the Assan to get the steering signal, you put a Y into the rudder channel. One side of the Y is whatever was there before and the other is a new lead you add to go to the Assan. That takes care of the steering. (You don't want to bridge where the steering servo originally came from on the control box because that output is gyro controlled by the stock gyro, hence the Y directly into the rudder port on the RX.)
            As for the nose retract, you can do something similar ................. isolate the retract lead and plug it into the Assan. For the Assan to get the retract signal, wherever the retract was plugged into originally, you use a lead that goes into those pins and hooks up to the Assan. This is how the Assan knows when the retract is UP and prevents the steering servo from working.
            IMPORTANT NOTE: Not all Assan steering gyros will work properly until it is initially calibrated. That is, if the steering doesn't work when the gear is DOWN and only works when the gear is UP or if the direction of steering is opposite to what it ought to be, that's when the calibration must be done. Of note is that when you follow the intructions for calibration, it says to move the rudder stick at a certain time quickly several times. That really should read "VERY quickly". In fact, as quickly as you can physically move the stick. Too slow and it will NOT calibrate. This has fooled several people, making them think the Assan is a dud.

Comment

• Originally posted by avanti127 View Post
              RC Castle, Assian 61. take off full throttle straight down the runway. Slows down your control input of turning to keep it you from flipping it or possible doing wing scrapes.
              Rudder and throttle control ( left stick ) does that same for me.

Mike
              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                davegee No, you don't need a dedicated channel for the Assan. It merely intervenes between the servo signals and the servos.
                IE. Isolate the steering servo lead and plug it into the Assan (all leads are clearly labeled). For the Assan to get the steering signal, you put a Y into the rudder channel. One side of the Y is whatever was there before and the other is a new lead you add to go to the Assan. That takes care of the steering. (You don't want to bridge where the steering servo originally came from on the control box because that output is gyro controlled by the stock gyro, hence the Y directly into the rudder port on the RX.)
                As for the nose retract, you can do something similar ................. isolate the retract lead and plug it into the Assan. For the Assan to get the retract signal, wherever the retract was plugged into originally, you use a lead that goes into those pins and hooks up to the Assan. This is how the Assan knows when the retract is UP and prevents the steering servo from working.
                IMPORTANT NOTE: Not all Assan steering gyros will work properly until it is initially calibrated. That is, if the steering doesn't work when the gear is DOWN and only works when the gear is UP or if the direction of steering is opposite to what it ought to be, that's when the calibration must be done. Of note is that when you follow the intructions for calibration, it says to move the rudder stick at a certain time quickly several times. That really should read "VERY quickly". In fact, as quickly as you can physically move the stick. Too slow and it will NOT calibrate. This has fooled several people, making them think the Assan is a dud.
                That's great info, xviper! Really appreciate it. I will order one from RC Castle. I'll let you know if I have any question/issues with the plugging in and calibrating of the Assan gyro once I get it. I think that will be a big help for the B-2. I was very impressed with a test video they did on a foamie jet with a line painted on their dirt runway and how close it followed the straight line until liftoff.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                  davegee The steering servo goes into the steering gyro and then you Y that in with the rudder.

Might order a few, you are already paying for shipping. You'll like them for a bumpy runway.
                  Thanks! Good point!

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post

Rudder and throttle control ( left stick ) does that same for me.

Mike
                    Sure.

The fastest measured human reaction time is something over 100ms in a top athlete, and 270ms is average. And that's after you've noticed something that needs correcting.

See what yours is here: https://calcpark.com/reaction-time-test

The gyro will react to an anomaly in about 25ms.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Sure.

The fastest measured human reaction time is something over 100ms in a top athlete, and 270ms is average. And that's after you've noticed something that needs correcting.

See what yours is here: https://calcpark.com/reaction-time-test

The gyro will react to an anomaly in about 25ms.
                      LOL. I must be superhuman or maybe just a good pilot. .

Mike

Comment

LOL. I must be superhuman or maybe just a good pilot. .

Mike
                        Or maybe just really impressed with yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

Or maybe just really impressed with yourself!
                          He's from Texas. 'Nuff said.

Comment

• After 40 years of flying this stuff you kinda get the hang ( if you try) of ground handling , crosswinds and so on. Jumping on me for actually flying airplanes is ridiculous. That left stick is there for a reason. Your free to use anything you like after all it's a hobby.

Mike

Comment

• Get ready for the posts saying gyros don't fly the plane, that every plane should have one and that it makes a good flying plane fly bigger or better...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                Get ready for the posts saying gyros don't fly the plane, that every plane should have one and that it makes a good flying plane fly bigger or better...
                                LOL
                                Mike

Comment

After 40 years of flying this stuff . . .

Mike
                                  Newbie!

Comment

• And questioning your flying ability and telling you all about your plane, how it flies, balance, mods etc... When they don't own or have ever flown the plane...

Originally posted by MikeT View Post

LOL
                                    Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                      And questioning your flying ability and telling you all about your plane, how it flies, balance, mods etc... When they don't own or have ever flown the plane...

How well do you do? Can you beat 25ms?

Reaction time test to find out how fast you really are. A human benchmark test which helps you to measure your simple reaction time.

Comment

• Don't know or care John...

Comment

• A human eye blink is 100ms. To be as fast as a gyro, yes, you'd have to be "superhuman" OR, have pre-cognition, which is basically guessing when something is about to happen and reacting at about the time it happens. That becomes "supernatural".

BTW, I can fall out of my chair at the bar faster than I can blink.

Comment

Working...
                                          X