Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They mention the antenna as being internal in the description at HH. I’ve never had an issue. Also, the Spektrum logo can be pushed to activate the bind so no more plug. It also has a fly by telemetry which means short range telemetry.
    I’ve been flying since ‘79 and agree with the antennas going thru the fuse and rubber handed to the rudder.

Comment

• Quick Q. I'm looking for one of these and I really like the yellow one.
      Now... that one seems to have a dogtooth leading edge to aid the airflow whilst the red one has a boundary layer fence on the wing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DH4VAR0.png
Views:	1377
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	218209

Is the red one a later iteration with updates one should probably be getting?
      If it's just a look thing, then the yellow one's gotta be it for me.
      Too bad I'm not much of a DIY guy in terms of applying custom liveries, which is a pity, otherwise I'd have done that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASCII View Post
        Quick Q. I'm looking for one of these and I really like the yellow one.
        Now... that one seems to have a dogtooth leading edge to aid the airflow whilst the red one has a boundary layer fence on the wing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DH4VAR0.png
Views:	1377
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	218209

Is the red one a later iteration with updates one should probably be getting?
        If it's just a look thing, then the yellow one's gotta be it for me.
        Too bad I'm not much of a DIY guy in terms of applying custom liveries, which is a pity, otherwise I'd have done that.
        I have the red one and it has the Dogtooth Leading Edge with the wing fences. If I'm not mistaken, the yellow is exactly the same, although some of the photos of the yellow version in MRC's product description/purchase page do not have the wing fences installed. If you look at some of the photos in this thread of the yellow version, I believe they all have the same, Dogtooth Edges with wing fences. My Stinger 90 has the straight Leading Edge with a fence.

But don't take my word for it, just get whichever pleases your fancy and let it rip-you'll love flying it. Mine flies great on the 6000mah (couldn't tell any difference over the 5000mah)-with flight times over 5 minutes if I'm just cruising. I've let others at our club fly my Stinger, F-4 and F-16, but when they flew my Avanti, several immediately bought one. And they also fly the much larger $10,000 turbine jets and got an Avanti for stress free flying. One guy is on his 2nd Avanti, after buying the first just over a month ago and promptly putting 135 flights on it! He leaves it in his car and goes out to the field with it every morning. Guess I created an "Avanti Addict".
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Oh nice! Tnx. I just love the woooosshhjjjj sound it makes. And seems to handle so smoothly and controlled! Yellow one it is then.
          This vid really sold me on it, just seems like epic fun:

The one dude (shortly after 5 min mark): You know what would be really cool?!
          Both at the same time: NERF Vortex Howler whistles!

Comment

• We intended our Avanti to be flown either with or without the wing fences. Either way, it's one of our best performers in the Freewing lineup, so I'm certain you'll enjoy yours!
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• (UPDATE)

The replacement Avante has the same flap issue as the original one that crashed. But this time it was a little different. This happened on the 2nd flight of the new plane. I landed with flaps down no issues then I taxied back and when I went to put flaps up they both stayed down. I cycled the flaps a few times and then one freed up and would move. I kept cycling and one moved and one was still stuck. Cycled some more and the stuck flap started moving again. This was with only half a second of delay. I then set the flap movement speed to normal with no delay. Flew 4 more packs thru it after that without the flaps getting stuck. Running with normal flap speed does give a little ballooning but not bad.

I was getting ready for flight #7 and did my pre flight checks and found one Aleron servo arm was extremely loose and about to fall off. The screw had backed out in only 6 flights. That could have been real bad. Glad I caught it. I don't check servos and rods before every flight, just control surfaces, flaps, and gear. But from now on I will check everything.

Other than the hassle I have had with this model the plane is flying well and is fast and smooth. Fit and finish is very good on this model and it looks awesome.

Comment

• What exactly are the functions of the wing fences, do they have something to do with knife edge or aerobatics? Do they provide any benefits for the average RC pilot or the beginner EDF pilot like me?
                I just had my maiden flight with my first EDF, a Freewing Avanti and it was an awesome experience. It was so exhilarating that I am depressed that it may be several months before I get to fly it again thanks to my northern location.

Comment

• Mirion, as the fuselage moves through the air, it pushes the air aside. This creates a stream of air flowing out onto the wing moving spanwise. The "wing fence" is exactly that...a fence. It redirects the lateral airstream and forces it to flow rearward to the trailing edge. The results are more lift (especially at low airspeeds), higher stall speed, less 'boundary layer air turbulence' and less wing drag. Wing fences have often been used on full scale planes like this Mig-17.

Comment

• Originally posted by TedBull View Post
                    (UPDATE)

The replacement Avante has the same flap issue as the original one that crashed. But this time it was a little different. This happened on the 2nd flight of the new plane. I landed with flaps down no issues then I taxied back and when I went to put flaps up they both stayed down. I cycled the flaps a few times and then one freed up and would move. I kept cycling and one moved and one was still stuck. Cycled some more and the stuck flap started moving again. This was with only half a second of delay. I then set the flap movement speed to normal with no delay. Flew 4 more packs thru it after that without the flaps getting stuck. Running with normal flap speed does give a little ballooning but not bad.

I was getting ready for flight #7 and did my pre flight checks and found one Aleron servo arm was extremely loose and about to fall off. The screw had backed out in only 6 flights. That could have been real bad. Glad I caught it. I don't check servos and rods before every flight, just control surfaces, flaps, and gear. But from now on I will check everything.

Other than the hassle I have had with this model the plane is flying well and is fast and smooth. Fit and finish is very good on this model and it looks awesome.
                    So the flap issue is worse instead of better. :( Come on Freewing, figure it out. The delay is not the source of the problem but info shows it does make it worse. They glue the servos to the painted foam so if the paint pulls from the foam the servos come out. As I stated earlier, my newest model had all of the servo horn screws loose and falling out! Can't tighten them without ripping out the servos! Can't really check them well without ripping them out unless you can see it backed out or the arm has backed out and is against the foam...holding it on! The servos have metal screws with metal shafts and really NEED thread lock. I like VC-3 because it is reusable and not a one time application. It would be nice if the servos had pockets, but that would add to the cost. Perhaps they could put a dot/mark on each servo that has been tightened and thread locked at the factory so everyone knows they have been checked. Guys n Gals, check your servo arms! If you can move them on the shaft with a screwdriver, they are loose!

Comment

• Hey guys. What's the best glue to use to mount the servos in the wings? All I have on hand is the glue that is included with the freewing planes.

Tom

Comment

• the Avanti is nice, but the Futura is a win for me, its in my Xmas list. I just got to double up in Ramen, lol.
                        Use the glue sent by them, just easy when applying it to the surfaces. Remove the stickers and sand the servo case. And this is just me, I put a drop of hot glue on each corner (under arm) of the servo just to be safe, the two outer mounting lips, just underneath. CA glue frkm Dollar Tree and finish it w two drops of hot glue, done, thats what I do and so far no servo has come off. The key is not to overkill it and put too much weifght and if in the future you need to swap the servo make it easier to take out.

Comment

• The glue that comes with it is good. My go-to glue for epo foam is E6000. I think Amazing Goop and Shoe Goo are also good. Most glues don't bond well to epo foam AND different types of plastics. I suggest that you remove the paint (if any) from the foam while the servo is out. Some people wrap the servo in tape and then glue it in to make it easier to remove later. I have not tried that, but it sounds good. I am still wondering about the fumes of some glues penetrating the seams of unsealed servos and coating the potentiometer carbon slide. Maybe that is what happens to the flap servos. If that were the case, you would think that all the glued in servos would be at risk. I know the grease on the gears in the case must be electronic safe for that reason.

Comment

• MrVoyagerx What are some things you like better about the Futura? I don't have one of those.

Comment

• The Avanti looks like a larger size Stinger, has the extra wing area, and at the bottom a type of bottom fuselage stabilizer. All is good for low speed flying, but its more drag at high speeds. It has 9g servos compared to 13g of the Futura V2.

​​​​​Why make a visible dual seat cabin, but no pilots? And anyway, this is no scale contest and at the speeds they will be flown having a pilot is unnecessary weight.

The Avanti, if not mistaken, parts are glued, while on the Futura its bolt on, like all other FMS models. A part is broken, unbolt and replace, or if need to access to remove a servo and so on.

Its a matter of preference, and what appeals to each, just like most things, but would not hurt to view FMS model site (not spamming).

The landing gear and electronics seems about the same, 1850kv on the Avanti vs the 2100kv, so a little more high revving motor on the Futura while the Avanti more torque.

Comment

• I’m just wondering what people are using to darken or black out there canopy?? Or what spray is best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apriliamgt View Post
                                  I’m just wondering what people are using to darken or black out there canopy?? Or what spray is best.
                                  I spray black rattle can paint on the inside if I don't use a pilot. I think someone posted they left the tint and painted the cockpit black. That might look good but I would think it would be hot in the sun. Edit: I also drill two small holes through the cockpit on mould marks and one in the canopy at the top for venting.

Comment

• And just to follow up as another suggestion, I bought carbon finish sheets and used it on a rc glider, made it look real cool. There is also transparent paint, and gives it this cool tint finish to the plastic. Back in the day most of my rc.cars had it, the bodies acquired a nice shine.

Good idea on making the vent holes

Comment

• Maybe I’ve missed something , but what’s this part for ??

Comment

Maybe I’ve missed something , but what’s this part for ??
                                        Freewings trash was full.

Comment

Maybe I’ve missed something , but what’s this part for ??
                                          There is a notch in the foam behind the battery tray for it in case you want to mount something there.

Comment

Working...
                                          X