Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION about elevator servo connection on the Avanti. There are 2 elevator servos but the Control Board has only 1 pin for elevator. Do I have to use a Y-Connector? If so, is a Y-Connector supposed to be included with the plane?

Comment

• Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
      QUESTION about elevator servo connection on the Avanti. There are 2 elevator servos but the Control Board has only 1 pin for elevator. Do I have to use a Y-Connector? If so, is a Y-Connector supposed to be included with the plane?
      The board has 2 Elevator connections. Light Light Gear Rudder Rudder Elevator Elevator If you do not use the board, you will need a Y cable or 2 channels on the receiver.

Comment

• Thanks Mach 9. I went back and looked at the control board and you're right. Just didn't see it before.

Comment

• Has anyone used the 9 or 12 blade OEM fan and used an inrunner motor on 8 cells ??? Or has everyone used a Jetfan, JP, or Schuebeler fan when upgrading to 8 cells ? I know I will have to go with a new ESC with the upgrade.
          Thanks.

Comment

• 3D printed an exhaust nozzle for my Avanti. I like it, it makes it fly faster Lol
            Attached Files

Comment

• I-fly-rc-aircraft What 3D printer do you use?

Comment

• RIP sweet Avanti. On only the 13th flight my favorite model made a sudden and uncomanded left roll at high speed 20 ft off the deck and dove straight in resulting in a spectacular disintegration! I called Motion rc the next day asking if the model had electrical issues and was told that they get calls like mine all the time, explaining that it could have been a glitch, brownout, or phase of the Moon, basically blowing me off. I can see their point but sheesh, I didn’t ask them to replace it but only to be sympathetic. Anyway I’ve rolled the dice again and ordered a replacement kit and will use the edf and motor controller from the obliterated model. Wish me luck on #2!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
                  RIP sweet Avanti. On only the 13th flight my favorite model made a sudden and uncomanded left roll at high speed 20 ft off the deck and dove straight in resulting in a spectacular disintegration! I called Motion rc the next day asking if the model had electrical issues and was told that they get calls like mine all the time, explaining that it could have been a glitch, brownout, or phase of the Moon, basically blowing me off. I can see their point but sheesh, I didn’t ask them to replace it but only to be sympathetic. Anyway I’ve rolled the dice again and ordered a replacement kit and will use the edf and motor controller from the obliterated model. Wish me luck on #2!
                  Can you tell if any control horns pulled out of the surfaces or any horns came off of the servos? Have you had any kind of flap problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mach9 View Post

Can you tell if any control horns pulled out of the surfaces or any horns came off of the servos? Have you had any kind of flap problem?
                    All servo arms, connecting rods and surface horns were normal, no problem with the flaps. I did recieve a telemetry warning a second before losing control about reciever battery voltage but had only been into the new and freshly charged 4500mh battery about a minute. Would this indicate a problem with the esc? My replacement Avanti Kit should be here this week and I plan on using the edf and esc from the wrecked bird. I really love the way this thing flys and can’t imagine not having one around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beachsideflyer View Post
                      RIP sweet Avanti. On only the 13th flight my favorite model made a sudden and uncomanded left roll at high speed 20 ft off the deck and dove straight in resulting in a spectacular disintegration! I called Motion rc the next day asking if the model had electrical issues and was told that they get calls like mine all the time, explaining that it could have been a glitch, brownout, or phase of the Moon, basically blowing me off. I can see their point but sheesh, I didn’t ask them to replace it but only to be sympathetic. Anyway I’ve rolled the dice again and ordered a replacement kit and will use the edf and motor controller from the obliterated model. Wish me luck on #2!
                      Yup , Motion is a money gobbling machine like most others now as well ... all about the bottom line . Great place while it lasted

Comment

• [QUOTE=Hemidoo;n223834]

Yup , Motion is a money gobbling machine like most others now as well ... all about the bottom line . Great place while it lasted

10-4 Hemidoo,I have balsa planes that are 30 years old with hundreds of flights on them using old Futaba systems and I’m using a Spectrum DX8 G2 now with Spectrum receivers . I had planned on doing the same with these new, pre-built models that are ready to fly. I’m thinking that the money machine might just be playing the odds on these things, but they sure are nice when they work! I have a Stinger 64hp arriving soon and my Avanti should be here tomorrow. Hoping for the best but I just don’t have the time or inclination to build anymore. If something Stange happens to my new MRC birds (which have an excellent reputation) I may have to move on to another source. Good luck with all your endeavors!

Comment

• It becomes very difficult who to believe. Nothing against your true values, but its not as if there is multiple threads about this same issue, and YT videos with similar issues.

There is no way of telling if its a QC issue, malfunction or pilot error.

As bad as Motion RC may sound, there are many instances where they have move forward to help out the customer, including myself for damagef fuselage. Sometimes some resolution can be agreed and it all depends on the approach when calling them about the mishap.

Do you have someone from the club as witness? and I mean a senior member, who can have leverage if a letter is written explaining how the accident happened. Are you a AMA member and since when?
                          In situations where its you vs their word and no other proof, the above may help.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrVoyagerx View Post
                            It becomes very difficult who to believe. Nothing against your true values, but its not as if there is multiple threads about this same issue, and YT videos with similar issues.

There is no way of telling if its a QC issue, malfunction or pilot error.

As bad as Motion RC may sound, there are many instances where they have move forward to help out the customer, including myself for damagef fuselage. Sometimes some resolution can be agreed and it all depends on the approach when calling them about the mishap.

Do you have someone from the club as witness? and I mean a senior member, who can have leverage if a letter is written explaining how the accident happened. Are you a AMA member and since when?
                            In situations where its you vs their word and no other proof, the above may help.
                            Im hip MrVoyagerx! I am a senior member of our club, and have been in the AMA since the 70s. The only other member present at the time of the mishap had been watching me fly just moments before impact and had only heard the crash after looking away to tend to his models preflight. I had just pulled out of a split S and was straight and level over the runway when my beautiful model rolled over and dove inverted into the tarmac. I had time to try to correct the roll but no response was noted. Just before the out of control condition occurred, my Spectrum DX8 G2 Trans announced a reciever voltage warning (fly by telemetry) and I am concerned that this may have something to do with the Original esc that I plan on using in the replacement airframe. Of course everything checked out on the ground after the incident including a range check. All servo arms and surface horns were intact and attached to their respective mounts. I do not believe that this was pilot error as the ship was at high speed and in Level flight under excellent weather conditions and happened almost directly in front of me. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

Comment

• I'll share my recent loss of signal on takeoff with the Avanti. It was the 2nd flight of the day and about :25 since the 1st flight. On takeoff run, I get the "telemetry loss" voice from my Jumper T16 and frsky X8R rec. and was unable to keep it on the centerline. Total loss of all control. It ended up becoming temporary airborne, shredding parts and ended up in a field unable to shutdown till I arrived and disconnected the battery. Everything worked afterwards on the bench
                              So, I have replaced the fuselage, since the nose broke into several parts as well as a few other items.
                              Now, what to do. I have aquired a Castle BEC, and will replace the receiver with a RX8R, even though I've upgraded the firmware on the X8R receivers I have.
                              I've run a couple batterys with the suspect battery and rec.
                              All good.
                              It was like the rec latched to run at full power. Failsafe didn't shutdown the EDF. I am suspecting the BEC in the ESC.
                              Any other thoughts?
                              I've heard of the FW A10 at our field losing all control airborne.
                              The first time he got it back, the 2nd was a total loss.

Comment

• vortex00 If the ESC was not being sent a signal from the receiver, I think it shuts off the motor. You can unplug the wire while it is running to test that. That may point to the ESC if it keeps running or to the receiver if it shuts off. The Freewing Scorpion I had spewed radio noise from the BEC in the ESC. I could use a flight pack and the problem went away. I ended up replacing the ESC with a ZTW Gecko. The Scorpion had many problems right out of the box and quickly became junk. EDIT BTW I had a crash result from a worn out transmitter. The left gimbal quit working and even though the stick was moved the signal stayed the same. I have not seen inside, but maybe the wires finally broke off.

Comment

• This thing flys like magic, still upfront in the line up

rc flyin addict

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                                    This thing flys like magic, still upfront in the line up

Beautiful flight, I think we all love our Avanti's, wish I would have picked up one earlier, but now that I have it, it usually always is one of the birds that ends up in the truck when I head out to the field. BTW, I like your after burner. Installed one in mine and even though it technically shouldn't have one, it sure adds additional WOW points.
                                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thanks Hugh, Happy landings !
                                      rc flyin addict

Comment

• Amazing timing on this after seeing the recent issues, I have had my Avanti (Red) now for about 3.5 months and she has been absolutely rock solid until this past Sunday... Roughly about 4min into my flight I banked hard right and started to roll (clockwise) to bank back left and once it was inverted it locked up (Thank god this thing tracks like a pattern plane) a few heart beats and a large gasp I got it back threw the gear and touched down safely. immediately started checking things over, surfaces were all solid, horns seemed locked on servo, battery was at 22.80 (~3.8v/Cell), performed range check and everything was good. After a bit I put another pack in and flew it again and just cruised around for the first min then started to roll and do some vertical stuff, on a Half Cuban 8 I started to roll it back over and it 'twitched' like a glitch almost could of been thought as something caused by the wind but it was dead calm, it had the same thing happen (same direction even) when I performed knife edge.
                                        So somethings that I have that are different then others, I bypassed all boards and went straight into the receiver. The radio (ix12) shows 0 frame losses and 0 holds and even in range check mode it says i have 98% signal strength at 3/4 throttle.
                                        So with all that considered, could it be the aileron servo(s) slowly going out? As these are all happening after some form of roll? Bad servo causing brown outs? Just trying to find the solution before...well i ain't gonna say that lol
                                        Any help or ideas are appreciated, and happy new years!

Turn and Burn,

Comment

Working...
                                        X