X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garyss View Post

What is minimum C rating so as to not "puff"?
    If you use a 6s 4000mAh Lipo 40c will be just fine 4 amps x 40c = 160 Amps continuous that would be just fine for this Jet :)

Comment

• Yeah, but that's assuming the battery will actually discharge at 40C, which many batteries on the market will not do or st least not do well without degradation. It's a safer bet to use 25C as a bench mark for a majority of LiPo's on the market. Things are beginning to change with higher actual discharge capabilities, but it's still not the "norm" quite yet :).

4A (aka 4000mah) X 25C = 100A

That is still within reason for this jet as it draws under 100A at full throttle. :Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

Wow... I wonder what she'd do on that 8s JF80 with a proper thrust tube? 140? 150?
        That's definitely hard to tell, but fun to test I plan to keep it light on a Jetfan 6S. However, I do have a Jetfan 8S and 10S setup as well if I wanted to some testing. The crappy part is the physics. Haha. The faster you try to go, the more ridiculous the power has to get speed to improve as forces are working against us. LOL

Comment

• I'll be trying out some new 60c 5000 graphenes in this one. Heavy batt though, but by all reports well worth it. (First time I'll use them, got em for the a10). If she flies a bit heavy I'll try my zippys and see what a 4000 is like as well. But think the graphenes will be fine, especially in the wind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG
Views:	955
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	70375Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG
Views:	947
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	70376Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.JPG
Views:	916
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	70377

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
            I'll be trying out some new 60c 5000 graphenes in this one. Heavy batt though, but by all reports well worth it. (First time I'll use them, got em for the a10). If she flies a bit heavy I'll try my zippys and see what a 4000 is like as well. But think the graphenes will be fine, especially in the wind.

I think you'll like them from a performance and durability stand point, especially on high powered setups. For lower current setups, a lighter battery will no doubt do fine and be worth the lower weight. However, I don't buy too many different kinds just to use on certain planes over others. I'd rather have a one size fits all in most of the jets. For the larger 80mm and my 90mm jets, I have the Turnigy 6S 5000mah 65C batteries. Even on 120A setups, these batteries come down at room temp so to speak. They are being barely taxed, which is pretty fantastic and helps with their longevity in comparison to pushing a battery to the limits (which some 5000mah batteries I've tried are having a rough time at the 120-140A mark). They stay hard packed, cell matching is good, balances well, and wrapped well, at least all of this is to this point. We'll see how they hold up over much more use. There is always a penalty as everyone knows with added weight, but for higher current setups I'm okay with that for added durability and potential for better voltage held under heavy loads (and the better power that comes with that).

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
              Yeah, but that's assuming the battery will actually discharge at 40C, which many batteries on the market will not do or st least not do well without degradation. It's a safer bet to use 25C as a bench mark for a majority of LiPo's on the market. Things are beginning to change with higher actual discharge capabilities, but it's still not the "norm" quite yet :).

4A (aka 4000mah) X 25C = 100A

That is still within reason for this jet as it draws under 100A at full throttle. :Cool:
              This is the reality of LiPo batteries. It's been posted here that one of the best batteries today is the HobbyKing Turnigy Graphene. The 65C Graphene was tested and documented as putting out an actual 30 - 31C, so less than 1/2 what is states on the battery. Imagine that a much lesser brand and model of LiPo will likely not even put out 1/2 of what's printed on the label. I personally have determine "by my butt dyno", that a 65C Graphene in the same plane will far out-perform a "lesser" brand of battery of the same C rating.
              Some may say that it's a waste of money and is overkill, but I will always buy the highest C rated battery that I can justifiable afford at the time. My other choices for LiPos are Admirals, Gens Ace and Revolectrix (when they are on sale).

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                I'll be trying out some new 60c 5000 graphenes in this one. Heavy batt though, but by all reports well worth it. (First time I'll use them, got em for the a10). If she flies a bit heavy I'll try my zippys and see what a 4000 is like as well. But think the graphenes will be fine, especially in the wind.

I have found that Graphenes are equivalent in flight times of a much larger battery (mah), non-Graphene. A 5000mah, 6s, 65C Graphene will be similar to a 6000mah non-Graphene battery. Too bad they didn't make a 4400 or 4500 Graphene since this would be more equivalent to a non-Graphene 5000mah. I think you'll find that a 4000mah Graphene will be quite close in flight time (maybe slightly less) and performance. I typically use a 3000mah, 65C, 6S in place of a 3600mah, 6s Admiral Pro in my FW 70mm Yak 130 and SebArt twin 70mm Mig 29 and flying them the same, the times are nearly identical but the Graphene gives a significant and noticeable increase in punch. Where my older Admiral Pro comes down hot and slightly soft, the Graphene is just warm and solid.

Comment

That's definitely hard to tell, but fun to test I plan to keep it light on a Jetfan 6S. However, I do have a Jetfan 8S and 10S setup as well if I wanted to some testing. The crappy part is the physics. Haha. The faster you try to go, the more ridiculous the power has to get speed to improve as forces are working against us. LOL
                  I may try both... 6s and 8s JFs and see how it transfers. Exciting! : )

Comment

Not to mention added extra weight working against you...;)..I think with the Avanti especially if one loves aerobatics a hot 6s would be a compromise for Speed & Aerobatics...& lighter battery..Now where's that container???:)

Comment

• Question for MotionRC............ I will be painting my canopy with the paint color treatment used in the prototype. So, since it is not seen, would I be able to omit the cockpit panel and floor from the model, or it that piece part of the integral structure and essential for strength?

Comment

• Well it's payday so I joined the club and snagged one today! I can't wait for my first real sport jet and it looks like it will be worth the wait!

Garyss...You should be able to remove the cockpit panel and floor without any structural issues, but Alpha is the expert on that.
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                          Well it's payday so I joined the club and snagged one today! I can't wait for my first real sport jet and it looks like it will be worth the wait!
                          Welcome to the club Aros! We've got 1 week down in April now. Do you know of any updates on the ETA?

Comment

• Congrats! That's awesome.

Comment

• Thanks! Sorry no specific updates on ETA. The good news is that they haven't had me change it to May. ;) LOL
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Alpha , When will the Manual be online as well as another video ( Possibly a walk around ) for those of us that feel like 8 year olds waiting for Dec 25th . :wacky

Comment

• Manual won't be online probably until around the time they ship. Not sure about another video...Maybe xplaneguy can help with that. LOL
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    Not sure about another video...
                                    What about MotionRc's Capt. Mike & Ryan movie production company??

Comment

• I don't know if they have received one yet.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

That's what I'm waiting for! ;)

Comment

Alpha mentioned back on Apr 2, that he had sent one that day for them to do thier magic. Shouldn't be long now.......

Comment

Working...
                                          X