X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
    I will choose Freewing any day over FMS. I think FMS still has quality issues. I have been flying models since 1979 and know quality when I see it. Does any one recall the Cox .049 motor? This was my first motor. I
    My daughter Evelyn and I still fly Cox powered models and love these little birds.

Comment

• I think I could do flybies like the pros on MOTION RC...hee hee...............

Comment

• I've been in this hobby since 1985. Back then power was mostly glow. Planes were either kits or scratch built. Then ARF's came along. I assembled (not built) my first ARF around 1991. They were okay but not great. Fast forward to today. Glow is fading to gas power mostly due to cost of glow fuel versus gasoline. ARF's are now the norm and mostly pretty good quality. Foam models are now very popular instead of balsa and lite ply. Real jet fuel, kerosene, or diesel burning turbines are more common all the time. AND power is now mostly electric (I was saving that for last).

My club uses predominantly electric power (75%) then us die hard gas or glow flyers (20%), and a few gas fueled turbines. I simply can't afford the real turbines along with all the related things you need to operate them with. However, I have really been impressed with EDF's. Some of them sound really neat and they look so cool making high speed passes with gear up. So I have joined up and placed my order for the Avanti. Now, after all that long winded preface, I have a question about the motor. I see that it is an outrunner rather than an inrunner. I had thought that an inrunner was more appropriate for EDF's than an outrunner. My understanding was that an inrunner can turn at higher rpm's than an outrunner. I'm sure FW chose the proper power setup for this model but could someone set me straight about my understanding between the two types of motors.

Also a question for MRC. Do you expect to be able to fill all the preorders from the first shipment? Looks like quite a few preorders have been placed.

Thanks
        GMB

Comment

• Originally posted by GMB View Post
          I've been in this hobby since 1985. Back then power was mostly glow. Planes were either kits or scratch built. Then ARF's came along. I assembled (not built) my first ARF around 1991. They were okay but not great. Fast forward to today. Glow is fading to gas power mostly due to cost of glow fuel versus gasoline. ARF's are now the norm and mostly pretty good quality. Foam models are now very popular instead of balsa and lite ply. Real jet fuel, kerosene, or diesel burning turbines are more common all the time. AND power is now mostly electric (I was saving that for last).

My club uses predominantly electric power (75%) then us die hard gas or glow flyers (20%), and a few gas fueled turbines. I simply can't afford the real turbines along with all the related things you need to operate them with. However, I have really been impressed with EDF's. Some of them sound really neat and they look so cool making high speed passes with gear up. So I have joined up and placed my order for the Avanti. Now, after all that long winded preface, I have a question about the motor. I see that it is an outrunner rather than an inrunner. I had thought that an inrunner was more appropriate for EDF's than an outrunner. My understanding was that an inrunner can turn at higher rpm's than an outrunner. I'm sure FW chose the proper power setup for this model but could someone set me straight about my understanding between the two types of motors.

Also a question for MRC. Do you expect to be able to fill all the preorders from the first shipment? Looks like quite a few preorders have been placed.

Thanks
          GMB
          From what I have read in this thread they have only used the outrunner motor in this jet. I'm sure there will be people out there experimenting with different inrunner motors. where did you read about the different motor option?
          Cheers

Comment

• Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not aware of any specific inrunner motor as an option to what comes with the plane. I was just thinking that inrunners may be the more common choice for EDF power than outrunners. I'm pretty new to electric power. I could be totally wrong. I would think both types of motors would work as long as motor, ESC,, fan, and battery were all compatible. I was just curious as to why an outrunner was preferred over an inrunner for EDF power.

GMB

Comment

• A outrunner motor has a direct drive to the propeller. An inrunner motor has a gear box.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corey Thunes View Post
                A outrunner motor has a direct drive to the propeller. An inrunner motor has a gear box.
                Not always. An inrunner just tends to have higher speed, lower torque, so a gearbox might help get into the range of the prop you want to use. With EDF (small high-speed fan), you are more likely to be able to use an inrunner without a gearbox. The only EDF I have has an inrunner without a gearbox. In fact, I think the entire reason inrunners are more prevalent in EDF is that you can run without a gearbox, so it becomes more practical and cost-effective in that application (versus a prop plane, which almost always needs a gearbox with an inrunner to use a reasonable prop). At least that is my impression...somebody please educate me if that is wrong.

Comment

• Hey Aros...Apparently the 90mm Yak130's are back in stock so obviously a container has arrived....Does that mean the 80mm Avantis are here as well or around the proverbial corner??? :)

Comment

• I have EDFs with both type of motors I have never seen an inrunner with a gear box for an EDF. In my experience the inrunners are a bit more expensive but run a little more efficiently. They also have a longer can, more torque, than an outrunner. Price is the main reason that most of our EDFs come with outrunners. If you look into most high thrust EDFs, they will be inrunners. I believe also that inrunners can spin more rpms than out runners. The other advantage to inrunners is that they are more compact and hence allow more airflow out the back. I'm no expert on EDF power units, but this bit of info is what I know from experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
                      Hey Aros...Apparently the 90mm Yak130's are back in stock so obviously a container has arrived....Does that mean the 80mm Avantis are here as well or around the proverbial corner??? :)
                      Yes the 90mm Yaks Are Back, but the Avanti's didn't join that party. Rest assured they are on their way! :)

My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Thanks Aros...I won't pop the cork just yet...LOL

Comment

• Since seeing this plane fly at the Arizona Electric Festival, it has nagged me that I needed one. Happy to report that my order is placed! Woohooo!
                          MRC: Avanti S, F7F Tigercat. Eflite: Carbon Z Cub, A-10, P-47, Micro Radian. Flex Innovations: QQ300, Night Cessna 150, HK Night Walrus, Parkzone F-27 Stryker, Micro F-27 Stryker, Night Vapor, Micro Mosquito

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	611
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	71194Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	71192
                            My production version has arrived. Stay tuned for pics and an assembly video. It looks fantastic! I only had a chance to Unbox and unbag the parts. Here's a few cell phone pics.

Comment

• not fair where is mine...

Comment

• Rub it in Ryan...:Crying:

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	709
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	71205 ....
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Very nice.....really wish I had mine to follow along..;)

Comment

• Ryan, you know you don't want that jet. So, just please send it over my way so you can get it out of your way. I'm doing you a large favor that way LOL:P:). Oh, hold on. Aren't I supposed to make something up too, like it's a horrible jet, not worth it, etc. to take away your interest in just how amazing this jet really is with its oh so delicious looks, excellent flight characteristics, amazing value, quality components, etc.??!!

Comment

• Nice try T-CAT...

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                          Nice try T-CAT...
                                          It was worth a shot :):):)!

On a side note, I just love these little new emoticons. So cool!

Comment

Working...
                                          X