X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh,
    Thank you for the information. Also good to know that you are able to takeoff from grass as well. My field is grass. We keep it well manicured and cut very low, so I didn’t think it would be an issue. All my other EDF’s don’t have a problem with it.
    Travis

Comment

• Hey guys! I'm wondering if someone can take some measurements for me on their F-16? I'm trying to determine if the landing gear would be an appropriate size for a scratch built A-7 Corsair I'm working on. The F-16 main gear isn't exactly correct for the A-7, but it's similar enough to the A-7 gear that I think I can make it work. The issue is it seems as if the main gear is all one unit, meaning if it's not a wide enough track for my fuselage then it won't work. So, could someone measure the wheel to wheel distance when extended, and also the distance between the hinge points on the main struts where they pivot? Thanks much! Here's an in-progress picture of my A-7 just for fun. :)

Chris

Comment

• About to buy the 90mm F16
        I see it comes with a pre installed afterburner. How is this fitted into receiver IE what channel in the receiver does it plug into and do you have to set it up in the transmitter has well ????

Comment

• By the instructions it's "Y'ed" to the throttle channel. Some don't like the point where it starts to go orange so they plug it into a separate channel and mix it.

Comment

• thanks Evan D That is what I needed to know.Nothing to comlicated ..Was going to get the Eflite F16 but given up waiting for them to come back in stock over here in the UK.

Comment

• Hi all, today I finished the conversion of the F-16C of the US Air Force to the F-16AM of the Belgian Air Component in the "XTM Tiger" livery. Painting was a pain in the a... but worth it. I also constructed and 3D-printed a new rudder section as it is typcial for the AM-versions. The yellow Xs are decals from Callie graphics and they look fantastic (thx Callie). What do you think?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165255_2.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	377892Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_164247_2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	377893Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_164902_2.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	377894Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165240_2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	377895Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165536_2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	377896Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_164911_2.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	377897Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165332_2.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	377898Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165436_2.jpg
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	377899Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165147_2.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	377900Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165459_2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	377901

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Gottwald View Post
                Hi all, today I finished the conversion of the F-16C of the US Air Force to the F-16AM of the Belgian Air Component in the "XTM Tiger" livery. Painting was a pain in the a... but worth it. I also constructed and 3D-printed a new rudder section as it is typcial for the AM-versions. The yellow Xs are decals from Callie graphics and they look fantastic (thx Callie). What do you think?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165255_2.jpg
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	377892Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_164247_2.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	377893Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_164902_2.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	377894Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165240_2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	377895Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165536_2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	377896Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_164911_2.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	377897Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165332_2.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	377898Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165436_2.jpg
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	377899Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165147_2.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	377900Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_165459_2.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	377901
                Eric, that is absolutely super fantastic! IMO, one of the best, if not the best looking F16 I've seen. Looks quite nefarious.

Since I conversed with you several months ago, I started flying my F16 again as it's been in dry dock awhile forfeiting flight time to others. Forgot how well it flies and gets into a nice high AOA on landing. Doesn't float as much as the Mig or SU, but after remembering to bring it in with a little power and let it drop slowly with it's nose in an FU attitude and a slight kick of thrust just before touch down it's sweet.

I'm now tempted to do another in your scheme. Imitation is the biggest form of flattery.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Dear Hugh,
                  thx for the appreciation. It was a lot of work, as I said, but I am definitely a little bit proud of my masterpiece 😁. Hopefully, she will not end up as a hangar queen. I've had one F-16 before (which I painted in another beautiful Belgian Air Component scheme (the 2012/2013 demo team version)) but sold her due to the bad landing behaviour (which was due to the incorrect CG that was provided). However, with the correct CG (what is yours?), I hope the next pictures will be of her in the air. I will keep you posted.

Best, Eric

Comment

• Eric Gottwald, um WOW!! One of the best livery jobs I have seen on this model. Simply fabulous. Bravo Zulu!
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Dear Hugh,
                      thx for the appreciation. It was a lot of work, as I said, but I am definitely a little bit proud of my masterpiece 😁. Hopefully, she will not end up as a hangar queen. I've had one F-16 before (which I painted in another beautiful Belgian Air Component scheme (the 2012/2013 demo team version)) but sold her due to the bad landing behaviour (which was due to the incorrect CG that was provided). However, with the correct CG (what is yours?), I hope the next pictures will be of her in the air. I will keep you posted.

Best, Eric
                      Eric,

If I remember correctly, the recommended CG is something like 118-128mm. I'm flying mine at 125mm with the gear down / 128mm with the gear up and I use flaperons as well. I initially tried several different further aft cg locations and noticed that from 130mm to 140mm it didn't really fly much different but at 140mm and further aft there was a specific slow enough speed on landing that it immediately severely raised it's nose (without any additional up elevator), ballooned up a few feet then came straight down. I was attempting to help it get off grass easier and moved the battery back too far to see if that would help, which it really didn't help much, so I settled at 128mm and haven't noticed any issues since. The only thing I found was that I still need to come in with a little power (about 32% throttle) and it get's it's nose up and sinks nicely, but doesn't glide like some others so I can't cut the throttle until it touches down. In fact I give it a slight throttle bump seconds before the gear touch and it settles down nicely. Probably if I move the cg forward to maybe 120mm, it may land easier but I'm used to landing now as it is.
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Eric,

If I remember correctly, the recommended CG is something like 118-128mm. I'm flying mine at 125mm with the gear down / 128mm with the gear up and I use flaperons as well. I initially tried several different further aft cg locations and noticed that from 130mm to 140mm it didn't really fly much different but at 140mm and further aft there was a specific slow enough speed on landing that it immediately severely raised it's nose (without any additional up elevator), ballooned up a few feet then came straight down. I was attempting to help it get off grass easier and moved the battery back too far to see if that would help, which it really didn't help much, so I settled at 128mm and haven't noticed any issues since. The only thing I found was that I still need to come in with a little power (about 32% throttle) and it get's it's nose up and sinks nicely, but doesn't glide like some others so I can't cut the throttle until it touches down. In fact I give it a slight throttle bump seconds before the gear touch and it settles down nicely. Probably if I move the cg forward to maybe 120mm, it may land easier but I'm used to landing now as it is.
                        Hi Hugh,

yes, these were the recommended CG data which which I have flown my first one (123 mm) and from what you described, mine landed exactly like yours. I could bring her down with an extra power "shot" when touching the ground but overall this is no behaviour I would describe as "usual" for a plane. However, the videos and blogs I have seen recommend 115 mm for the CG. Let's hope it works 😉.

Thanks, Eric

Comment

Hi Hugh,

yes, these were the recommended CG data which which I have flown my first one (123 mm) and from what you described, mine landed exactly like yours. I could bring her down with an extra power "shot" when touching the ground but overall this is no behaviour I would describe as "usual" for a plane. However, the videos and blogs I have seen recommend 115 mm for the CG. Let's hope it works 😉.

Thanks, Eric
                          Let me know if it changes landing behavior farther forward. I'll fly mine as well the next time out and try it around 115mm as well. I generally fly my EDF warbirds at least 10-20mm further aft then recommended (while the prop warbirds more on the nose heavy side), especially since I'm trying to get off grass better, but you may be on to something with the F-16. This is definitely the only one I have that lands like that, although both my F-18's exhibit it to a significantly less degree and those I fly 15mm further aft.
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I have owned seven FW F-16's and flew with the CG at 118mm, that seems to be the best all around CG for flying and landing, requires just a little up trim but it will still do high Alpha, lands so much better, 115mm works to, I flew my first three around there, lands great as well, I would never go past 120mm though, just flies weird to me and landings are easy as long as you do the same approach every time, if not and you get behind it on power it can get ugly quick, I did get into a high alpha lock as some call it, one time on approach and had no control at all, nose pointed almost straight up, it just stayed that way as I kept adding power and using rudder I was able to wiggle out of it, never did that again, but it never did stall either, love the F-16, just had so many of them I got bored and sold my last one not to long ago.

Comment

Let me know if it changes landing behavior farther forward. I'll fly mine as well the next time out and try it around 115mm as well. I generally fly my EDF warbirds at least 10-20mm further aft then recommended (while the prop warbirds more on the nose heavy side), especially since I'm trying to get off grass better, but you may be on to something with the F-16. This is definitely the only one I have that lands like that, although both my F-18's exhibit it to a significantly less degree and those I fly 15mm further aft.
                              Dear Hugh,
                              as long as you feel comfortable with it, fly her like that. I didn't feel comfortable at all with that behaviour and, as also DCORSAIR, pointed out, if you move the CG forward, the landings become much more stressless.

Comment

Dear Hugh,
                                as long as you feel comfortable with it, fly her like that. I didn't feel comfortable at all with that behaviour and, as also DCORSAIR, pointed out, if you move the CG forward, the landings become much more stressless.
                                Next flight out I am moving the CG forward as I'm of the opinion that you "Can teach Old Dogs New Tricks". Landing is about the only occasional stressing situation for me that any better approach is welcome in my world. Thanks DCORSAIR and Eric for showing the way to improved performance.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Next flight out I am moving the CG forward as I'm of the opinion that you "Can teach Old Dogs New Tricks". Landing is about the only occasional stressing situation for me that any better approach is welcome in my world. Thanks DCORSAIR and Eric for showing the way to improved performance.
                                  Dear Hugh,
                                  very well said👍. Have fun with the new CG😉.

Comment

• Thanks for the CG discussion fellas! I'm hoping to get this beauty into the air and back on Sunday! Click image for larger version

Name:	20230526_170044.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	378289

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup
                                      Thanks for the CG discussion fellas! I'm hoping to get this beauty into the air and back on Sunday!
                                      That looks like it’ll be hard to see in flight though definitely cool looking.

Comment

• jetpltrich Yeah, it will be easier to see later in the summer when everything dries out. But your right it's too camo for the green of spring. I'm trying to make it easier on myself, my planes are starting to follow a common theme, green camo for the fall, desert camo for the spring. Red is great too.

Comment

• After 2 years as my prize hanger queen my 90mm F-16 Thunderbird had her maiden flight. Was nerve racking on first flight till I got her dialed in with some trims. 2nd & 3rd flights she was on point and flew great. Wondering why it took me so long to get her in the air? Only been flying a couple years so wanted to get my landings down on these big jets. She has a 8s FMS 1500Kv EDF, Spectrum AR8360T receiver, Castle Creations 130amp ESC and Hitec D85MG servos for the elevators. Have some mixes added in , but will wait to try them out.
                                          Flying weather is finally here on Cape Cod Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3843.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	378563Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3844.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	378564 so the birds are in the air where they belong....​

Comment

Working...
                                          X