Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of brownouts, I was having some weirdness with the speed brakes. Sometimes one would not open. Then sometimes one would not close. I thought it was a bad servo. But on one test flight, after landing, both were acting weak on closing. Like they didn't want to close.
    I changed out my circuit board and moved the UBEC further up and back away from the board. I also cleaned up my wiring to get it away from the board too. I think that fixed the issue.

My conclusion is that I was getting interference, either electro magnetic or heat or both, from the UBEC. Also my original board did not have the metal foil shield on it. It was messed up from the factory.
    BTW the UBEC is apparently a switching power supply, hence the RF choke on the power lead. Not good to have the UBEC so close to anything control related.

No problema since that fix.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Hey everyone. I have a couple questions for you all.

1.) I am returning to R/C flying after being away for almost 10 years. Prior to leaving the hobby, I was flying really fast King Kobras, Midwest AT6's, Super Sportsters, etc. with what I feel was better than average skills. My question is; I have never flown electric anything but I LOVE jets. Would this be a good first EDF for me to start with?

2.) Will this jet fly off of a grass field ok?

Thanks
      ZM

Comment

Welcome back and welcome to Hobby Squawk Snoopy! The Freewing F-86 is a great first EDF and does good on grass.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I do not recommend the T-45 as a first jet.
          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
            The Freewing F-86 is a great first EDF and does good on grass.
            So, you would recommend the F-86 over the T-45?

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
              I do not recommend the T-45 as a first jet.
              What would Freewing EDF would you recommend?

Comment

I agree, don't get the T-45 for your first jet, for sure the F-86, great first EDF jet....:Cool:

Comment

Can you guys please explain the differences in the F-86 and T-45 in regards to a first EDF? Thanks

Comment

I have both and the Scooter, all Great airframes in their own right. But for a 1st EDF , F-86 all the way! 4 min on a 4K. really predictable flight envelope and glide slope. The T-45 also awesome.. just heavier, more complicated less flight time, but if you can land the f-86 consistently you will be fine! And the Scooter... man what a great plane. I find it to be FAST !!! Hope this helps. :-)
                    Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy47 View Post
                      Can you guys please explain the differences in the F-86 and T-45 in regards to a first EDF? Thanks
                      Better handling and much cheaper.
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

This is perfect info. I appreciate all the input. I will focus on the F-86.

Comment

But,,,,, If you are like me, get both and invite your friends over to look at the pretty lights and the cool slats and the air brakes.... and drink beer, Then... FLY the SH*T out of the f-86. I can't believe what you get for the $$$. LOVE this hobby/obsession
                          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post
                            But,,,,, If you are like me, get both and invite your friends over to look at the pretty lights and the cool slats and the air brakes.... and drink beer, Then... FLY the SH*T out of the f-86. I can't believe what you get for the $$$. LOVE this hobby/obsession
                            Hahahaha, I just might do that too. What are you guys using for a transmitter?

Comment

you will love it. I fly off 180 ft of tarmac. one click of flaps for take off ,also look for the "Tip Test " in the forum. to check the CG.( I had to move my ESC back a bit to Obtain the proper CG,) You should be carrying 4mm up elevator at neutral.

CG Test Vid!
                              video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Fly a DX8 but may be moving to a DX 9 or a Fr Sky.

Comment

Fly a DX8 but may be moving to a DX 9 or a Fr Sky.
                                  This is great info. I really appreciate it. I was looking at a DX9.

Comment

you will love it. I fly off 180 ft of tarmac. one click of flaps for take off ,also look for the "Tip Test " in the forum. to check the CG.( I had to move my ESC back a bit to Obtain the proper CG,) You should be carrying 4mm up elevator at neutral.
                                    Very curious recommendation. I have not heard nor seen others doing that for the F-86.
                                    Must require a boat load of down pressure to hold level inverted flight.
                                    Normally a neutral elevator trim is the standard of appropriately CG'd airframes.;)
                                    One of the rare exceptions is like the FL P-38 where the manual instructed and it needed 4mm up to hold level upright flight but that is because the structural design of the wing l/e spar prevent aft positioning of the lipo's to achieve appropriate CG. Myself, I loaded 2 ounces of lead on the H stab and used only 1mm up E for the Lightning.
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I agree OV. I neglected to do this on the maiden and needed my co pilot to add copious amount of up. This all in addition to the Balance technique in the vid. I will post a pic of where my 6s 4K is. located.
                                      I had to unscrew the ESC and move it back. to obtain this CG. but it flies like a dream! Rotates smoothes with just a hint of back pressure and one click of flaps!

Now. I may be getting all this WRONG! totally open to that ! :-) I certainly don't know everything, actually I am quite humbled by the sh*t i do not know.

Comment

I always try to get my CG set so that the mechanical E trim is as neutral as possible for both inverted and upright flight envelopes.
                                        Work that Lipo backwards on the Sabre until you can achieve the above suggestion;)
                                        The first time I flew that P-38 with the manuals suggested 4 mm up setting and rolled her over on her back I damn near had my down pressure all the way to the stop just to hold level:Scared:
                                        Now with the lead in the tail it is much more docile inverted and just requires a touch of down pressure.:Cool:
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Solid Copy ! :-) I think there was an issue getting the battery back far enough. At bit a tail weight may be in order!

Comment

Working...
                                          X