X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post

The simple way and actually moving forward is not for everyone ... analysis paralysis is what many suffer from :-)
    :Confused: put that in different words, kind of went over my head faster than my T-45 did.........LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrellmims View Post
      Well today was the day to get mine in the air for the first time and it didn't happen . I couldn't get enough speed to get the nose in the air ,it was not accelerating at all . I put a fish scale one the nose LG and all I could get is 5.8-6.1 Lbs pull .Manual says that it should be closer to 8. Yes I set the throttle on the ESC and tried another battery (60c) .There was a guy saying he did the same thing but I cant find what his was pulling . I fly off grass and it was cut low and a friends A-10 fly's perfectly fine . I will be calling Motion RC and if I don't get a good answer ,I'll trade this for a A-10 !!!
      From my experience, that's the best thrust you're going to get from the stock motor. That being said, I've flown this plane stock from two different grass fields. So my next thought is your grass runway is most likely the problem.

Did you try different flap settings? Or high rate elevator? Did you use the slats? There are several different take-off configurations you can use. I used half flaps and high rate elevator for takeoff. Takeoff roll was still about 350 feet on a "well manicured, grass runway", however, she got airborne.

Of course, if you know the A-10 will fly from your field, that might be a better choice.

Good luck,

​​​​​​​Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

:Confused: put that in different words, kind of went over my head faster than my T-45 did.........LOL
        Lol . I agree with your style, at times do what works and don't worry about what the "book says"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hemidoo View Post

Lol . I agree with your style, at times do what works and don't worry about what the "book says"
          Oh, thank you, didn't mean to sound stupid but I just didn't get that. :) I do hesitate to post things like setup and CG just because some things that work for you will not for others, I try to help out when I can and after 34 yrs of this hobby the fingertip CG method has never let me down.....:Cool:

Comment

• I think the grass will be the problem , thing is I've got a plane that I cannot fly . Id have to drive 4 hours to a field that will be good to try it out on .and I'll be going there next week to fly HHAEFI . Yes I tried every setting of Take Off configuration there is , just wont build the speed needed. Lets just say the grass is too thick and too tall , it was cut the day before. And there's about a 1000 Ft of it and 120 Ft wide

Comment

• Get a carpet runner of appropriate length... lay it on the grass and instant (very narrow) runway.

Probably not as practical for an EDF model of this size, but it works well for small slow electrics. You'd want a much longer and wider run of carpet, making the portable runway very heavy and a problem for transport and storage.
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• My apologies for jumping in, but please continue the issues with power/takeoff as needed. I just finished the build last night and am working with an 8 Channel spektrum radio. I used a 10 channel receiver so that I could utilize a gyro and my tentative plan was to Y the flaps with slats, while the airbrake would be separate. I've been doing some searching but wanted some feedback from the folks here. Basically the servo for the slats is functioning in reverse when attempting to Y with flaps (slats are deployed when flaps are up, and vise versa). I've tried about everything I could think of with the radio, yet still the same result. I've resorted to an in-line servo reverser for the slats as an "easy" fix, but I am hearing there are problems related with these. I figured worst case, I lose the slats and can eventually just replace the servo with a reverse servo if I want to keep with with the flaps.

Any ideas/help here would be appreciated. Thanks gents.

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                  My apologies for jumping in, but please continue the issues with power/takeoff as needed. I just finished the build last night and am working with an 8 Channel spektrum radio. I used a 10 channel receiver so that I could utilize a gyro and my tentative plan was to Y the flaps with slats, while the airbrake would be separate. I've been doing some searching but wanted some feedback from the folks here. Basically the servo for the slats is functioning in reverse when attempting to Y with flaps (slats are deployed when flaps are up, and vise versa). I've tried about everything I could think of with the radio, yet still the same result. I've resorted to an in-line servo reverser for the slats as an "easy" fix, but I am hearing there are problems related with these. I figured worst case, I lose the slats and can eventually just replace the servo with a reverse servo if I want to keep with with the flaps.

Jump back to page10 and read post #198 on down and you can read what I did about this issue.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                    My apologies for jumping in, but please continue the issues with power/takeoff as needed. I just finished the build last night and am working with an 8 Channel spektrum radio. I used a 10 channel receiver so that I could utilize a gyro and my tentative plan was to Y the flaps with slats, while the airbrake would be separate. I've been doing some searching but wanted some feedback from the folks here. Basically the servo for the slats is functioning in reverse when attempting to Y with flaps (slats are deployed when flaps are up, and vise versa). I've tried about everything I could think of with the radio, yet still the same result. I've resorted to an in-line servo reverser for the slats as an "easy" fix, but I am hearing there are problems related with these. I figured worst case, I lose the slats and can eventually just replace the servo with a reverse servo if I want to keep with with the flaps.

I.ve got a 9030T receiver in mine and the slats and flaps are on tow individual channels using a Dx9 transmitter .Aux turns into the flaps and aux 2 is the slats and aux 3 is the speed brake . If your using a grass runway then it has to be very short cut or use a fabric mat or something like that to get the optimum speed for takeoff .

Comment

I think the grass will be the problem , thing is I've got a plane that I cannot fly . Id have to drive 4 hours to a field that will be good to try it out on .and I'll be going there next week to fly HHAEFI . Yes I tried every setting of Take Off configuration there is , just wont build the speed needed. Lets just say the grass is too thick and too tall , it was cut the day before. And there's about a 1000 Ft of it and 120 Ft wide
                      I'll be at HHAEFI next week as well. That was one of the grass fields I've flown my T-45 from. The other is my home field just south of Auburn, AL.

I'll also be bringing some spare T-45 parts to sell while at HHAEFI and some 6S demo batteries, in case you're interested.

Hope we get a chance to meet and look forward to getting your T-45 airborne. You can find me at the RC Jetwerx tent.

Sean

Comment

• I hope to bring it and a couple of other planes if I can get someone to haul them for me . I'm limited on cargo space !

Comment

• Got the first flight in today and was surprised how well it flew and how nervous I was . Only got about 2 1/2 min flight as the telemetry was squawking 22.6 volts ,Made about 2and a half laps around the field . sure eats up a lot of MaH's in a hurry. Lot of stuff going on for the first flight with no helper . Not enough time to check all the functions ,like the slats /flap , slow flight stuff. Take off w/flaps half , slats down , then clean up the airframe then think about landing . It's not a beginners EDF for sure .

Comment

Got the first flight in today and was surprised how well it flew and how nervous I was . Only got about 2 1/2 min flight as the telemetry was squawking 22.6 volts ,Made about 2and a half laps around the field . sure eats up a lot of MaH's in a hurry. Lot of stuff going on for the first flight with no helper . Not enough time to check all the functions ,like the slats /flap , slow flight stuff. Take off w/flaps half , slats down , then clean up the airframe then think about landing . It's not a beginners EDF for sure .
                            Congrats on a successful maiden! We're you able to fly from your home field?

Be sure to test slow flight characteristics at altitude...she will tip stall if she gets too slow. Also, stay on the power when she's dirty since airspeed will drop quickly with everything hanging out. FWIW, I never used slats or speed brakes in the air, only for the "cool" factor on the ground. I only used half flaps for takeoff and landing.

She is a good flyer...and the more you fly her the more you'll enjoy her.

Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post

Be sure to test slow flight characteristics at altitude...she will tip stall if she gets too slow. Also, stay on the power when she's dirty since airspeed will drop quickly with everything hanging out. FWIW, I never used slats or speed brakes in the air, only for the "cool" factor on the ground. I only used half flaps for takeoff and landing.

Sean
                              I have to tell you, Sean is right about the airspeed drops quickly when down and dirty. I have owned three of these T-45 and have many flights on them, but one day I was doing a long scale approach with everything out including the speed brakes as well, and it slowed down on me faster than I expected and just as I was clearing a chain link fence it decided it wasn't flying anymore, so even after many landings this way, it only took a dumb thumb mistake and dropped it into the fence, so be careful when flying it dirty, other than that it is a great flyer and is now all repaired with many more flights on it and with a little more respect it deserves.:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

I have to tell you, Sean is right about the airspeed drops quickly when down and dirty. I have owned three of these T-45 and have many flights on them, but one day I was doing a long scale approach with everything out including the speed brakes as well, and it slowed down on me faster than I expected and just as I was clearing a chain link fence it decided it wasn't flying anymore, so even after many landings this way, it only took a dumb thumb mistake and dropped it into the fence, so be careful when flying it dirty, other than that it is a great flyer and is now all repaired with many more flights on it and with a little more respect it deserves.:Cool:
                                Roger that! It has been a few months since I have flow the T-45, but when she is dirty and draggy, I think at least a half throttle approach is appropriate if you are setting the AOA with elevator.... Seems wrong, but it will fall out of the sky if you don't keep the power on... (just like a full scale) LOL

Comment

• But I love the plane. Wish there was a magic bullet to make it fly longer.... I need 7-10m with this bird to get it all done l!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post

Sean
                                    Thanks , it was a heart stopping experience ( well kind of ) I used half flap for T O . I'm wondering if the slats really make much difference at all. I think its better to just keep it simple . Been around Large Corporate Jets for about 30 years and know the risks . Yes it was from my home field ,just had to get the grass low as possible and clear the clippings . These a A-10 flying there and soon a F-4 ( not mine )

Comment

• Feeling a little better with the T-45 and adding to the flight time a little. Still 2:40 is very short time and bumping it up to 3:00 is some what better , just not wanting to get too low a voltage . Tried a 5500 60c Gens Ace which is about two ounces heaver ,the take off roll was about 25 Ft longer and climb out was not as steep it seemed to fly just fine .( I had it all the way back in the compartment ) Gear strut doors are not made for grass landing unless they are perfect . Over all it's not a bad performer and looks great on low flybys .

Comment

Feeling a little better with the T-45 and adding to the flight time a little. Still 2:40 is very short time and bumping it up to 3:00 is some what better , just not wanting to get too low a voltage . Tried a 5500 60c Gens Ace which is about two ounces heaver ,the take off roll was about 25 Ft longer and climb out was not as steep it seemed to fly just fine .( I had it all the way back in the compartment ) Gear strut doors are not made for grass landing unless they are perfect . Over all it's not a bad performer and looks great on low flybys .
                                        Be very careful with 3 minutes, I tried to get away with that one time, thought one more touch and go won't hurt, WRONG, took off and just as I was climbing out the LVC kicked in and down it went in a hurry, it's like a ship throwing and anchor overboard, not even close to making it back to the runway, had to put it down in a vineyard, got lucky though and only had to replace the tail parts and wings, I think total was like $100 in parts.

Comment

• Here's my formula for getting more flight time out of the T45, I'm using 6000 mah batteries from HRB. Yes they're a little heavier so I removed the slats and airbrakes to save weight. I'm flying off of a mat runway that's 300 feet long so I've got plenty of space but it still has plenty of get up and go with 1/2 flaps on takeoff and landings are no problem with a little power and 1/2 flaps. This may not work on grass but I'm getting a full 3 minutes with this set up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X