X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
    I had a hard landing last week with the T-45. Bent a main retract pin and damaged the nose gear mount. I had already placarded the speed brakes. To fix the nose gear mount I really need to just order a new fuselage. But I am not going to.
    The T-45 has been decommissioned. It's a good bird. But mine is now retired. I'll probably put the power system in another ARF+ bird eventually.
    Mine is totalled. If you decide to offload your parts let me know i pretty much need the entire air frame lol

Comment

• I bought my 1st 2 Freewing jets from Motion RC last summer( 90mm Stinger, 90mm T45 Goshawk). We fly off a well manicured grass runway. The Stinger is Great off the grass but I'm having trouble with the T-45...in 3 attempts it just doesn't want to rotate. Checked the CG- OK and the motor seems to be producing good power in stock form using a 60c 5000 batt. first 2 attempts were with no flaps & slats at zero...can't remember if I used flaps on the 3rd. Am I overlooking something here? Is anyone using a more rearward CG ? Are flaps necessary off grass and if so, how much10%? 20%?

On a different note, I believe I read somewhere about a possible main LG mount weakness but I can't seem to find the post now. I think it even described how to strengthen it.??

I set the Goshawk aside but I really like the plane and would love to get it flying.
      Any ideas?
      Bill
      Indy Damnbeenie

Comment

• Use half flaps and plenty of back pressure to get the nose wheel off the ground. After that she will accelerate and fly away. That is assuming that your battery is up to the task. This is the technique I use at our field which is grass. She should get airborne in about 150ft or so.

Make sure you are balanced at the correct CG point. Otherwise rotating could be a problem. I use the Admiral 6s 5000 and have it all the way forward. With a heavier battery you may need to run it a little further aft.

Also, ease into the throttle. She should be fast enough to launch before you even hit full throttle, if you ever do.
        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by billd3 View Post
          I bought my 1st 2 Freewing jets from Motion RC last summer( 90mm Stinger, 90mm T45 Goshawk). We fly off a well manicured grass runway. The Stinger is Great off the grass but I'm having trouble with the T-45...in 3 attempts it just doesn't want to rotate. Checked the CG- OK and the motor seems to be producing good power in stock form using a 60c 5000 batt. first 2 attempts were with no flaps & slats at zero...can't remember if I used flaps on the 3rd. Am I overlooking something here? Is anyone using a more rearward CG ? Are flaps necessary off grass and if so, how much10%? 20%?

On a different note, I believe I read somewhere about a possible main LG mount weakness but I can't seem to find the post now. I think it even described how to strengthen it.??

I set the Goshawk aside but I really like the plane and would love to get it flying.
          Any ideas?
          Bill
          We fly off of grass and I can say take offs can be a little hard at times. If the grass is wet or damp, the plane sticks like glue. I use a TP70C 5000 to fly. We have a 500 foot runway and if it is early in the morning with dew it's a now go. I have flown it maybe 10 to 15 times with about just as many aborted TOs. I have no problems with my AvantiS or A10. Place the plane as far back as possible, get to full quickly and keep back pressure on your elevator to get that nose off the ground and change the AOA. It's fun when you get it in the air.

GOOD LUCK

Comment

• I have an 8 ch radio and all 8 are plugged I in. With bec plug still to go . I understand the bec plug can be on a y harness plugged in to any ch including the throttle ch. Am I ok with this ? The plane is a T45 The radio is a Futaba T8FG with a Corona rec any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Sure, Y with Throttle or Retracts. Those are generally the best 2 choices.
              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Rcrmel View Post
                I have an 8 ch radio and all 8 are plugged I in. With bec plug still to go . I understand the bec plug can be on a y harness plugged in to any ch including the throttle ch. Am I ok with this ? The plane is a T45
                Yes you may use a Y harness in any channel to hook the UBEC into the Rx.
                If you have a Spektrum Rx with 8 channels and all are utilized there is still the bind port that can be used for the UBEC also.
                (Mentioned Spektrum because I no nothing about Futaba or other radios but they may also have a bind port to use too.)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I prefer to hook the UBEC into the board somewhere like an unused elevator channel. That way all the current isn't going through the RX. Rather it is distributed on the board.
                  Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Thank you guys. Now I have one more issue. Do you know where the plug for the main gear DOOR goes ? One gear door servo does not operate on the wing. Does anyone know where they plug in on the main wing.or does it plug in somewhere else. Before I start to dismantle everything perhaps one of you knows. THANKS

Comment

• The circuit board was the problem. I am good to go now .

Comment

• Hello to you all.
                        Did you Guys dialed in the throws as per manual.?

I appreciate your input.

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                          Here is my mod of the T-45 to the BAe Hawk T1.
                          Nice work man, it's a beautiful show piece.

Rudy

Comment

• Hey Fellow EDF Jet Jockey's
                            I could use some feedback. I have had two crashes with my T-45. They each seem to be because of brown outs using an AR9000 with one satellite RX. I'm using the basic power package with 6S 5500 mah 45C batteries. I did not separate the BEC from the RX and use a separate battery for the RX as several guys have suggested. I have been using batteries with T connectors with an EC5 adapter but had 10-15 uneventful flights before the first crash happened. After bringing the remains to the pits after the first crash the response to throttle and other control inputs were normal just minutes afterwards. The second crash followed a crash check of the RX by Horizon and a new fuse, added gyro and 2 uneventful flights. Then...disaster again with it being a total loss. I love the airplane and it flew beautifully but before I invest in another one I'd like some imput from the experienced T-45 pilots. Thanks.
                            John

Comment

• Could you explain your crashes as they happened? Maybe we can help you figure something out. I have had three of the T-45's, all stock, the only issue I had with one of them was a bad flap servo, other than that they were all running through the board and never had an issue, I did have one that did a high speed tip stall on me, was running to much elevator, so that is why I was asking if you could explain more of how or when the crashes happen.?

Comment

• Originally posted by jpjet View Post
                                Hey Fellow EDF Jet Jockey's
                                I could use some feedback. I have had two crashes with my T-45. They each seem to be because of brown outs using an AR9000 with one satellite RX. I'm using the basic power package with 6S 5500 mah 45C batteries. I did not separate the BEC from the RX and use a separate battery for the RX as several guys have suggested. I have been using batteries with T connectors with an EC5 adapter but had 10-15 uneventful flights before the first crash happened. After bringing the remains to the pits after the first crash the response to throttle and other control inputs were normal just minutes afterwards. The second crash followed a crash check of the RX by Horizon and a new fuse, added gyro and 2 uneventful flights. Then...disaster again with it being a total loss. I love the airplane and it flew beautifully but before I invest in another one I'd like some imput from the experienced T-45 pilots. Thanks.
                                John
                                I feel sorry John.
                                Two crashes is hard to take. I'm not a T-45 pilot yet, will do the maiden though as soon the snow melts. I enjoy my FW Stinger 90mm very much. They call me the jetman in our little club. Lol
                                I have a AR8000 in my RC Powers F-14. It is a DSM2 like your AR9000. I started to have binding problems every now and than when arming the plane because the conductivity in the plugs to the remote RX was bad.I little Dielectric Grease in to the female plugs solved the problem.
                                I think if the RX looses communication with the remote RX it would result in a brownout. Could be that.

If I understand right you are connecting the BEC and a separate battery to power the RX ?? I think It should be only one or the other, not the two together. If a battery is used, check the servos specs for the maximum voltage they can be driven.

Rudy

Comment

• Hi you all.
                                  I'm aiming to have the CG right on the money for this Model to do the maiden. Would you guys please have a look at those three picks below. That would give me an additional assurance with 63mm CG in the manual.
                                  The battery is Admiral 6S 5000mAh 50C and gear is down.

Thank you
                                  Rudy

Comment

• Hey Pilots,
                                    thanks for the comments on my recent crashes. I have no clear idea of why. I think I can only start over and do several things differently, which are; separate the Bec from the rx. and use a separate battery for the rx. Go to EC5 connectors and eliminate the Deans adapter and maybe add a third satellite rx. Beyond that Im at a loss.
                                    John

Comment

• EDF Pilots,
                                      I'm back to say, thanks for all of the input. I've been licking my wounds for the past 6 weeks but I'm back. DCcorsair I don't have anything else to explain about the crashes. Again, it seems that changing to a different RX, using EC5 connectors and separating the BEC from the RX using a separate battery for the RX are the only changes I might make to solve this problem. I will also go to 50C or higher discharge rate batteries. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new RTF T-45 as I write this. I'll keep you guys informed.
                                      Thanks, John

Comment

• I TOO HAVE HAD AN UNEXPLAINED CRASH WITH MY T45. FIRST 2 FLIGHTS NO PROBLEM, THIRD , AS SOON AS PLANE LEFT THE GROUND IT WENT ALMOST UNCONTROLLABLE PITCHING AND ROLLING SO BAD I HAD TO PUT IT DOWN, RESULTING IN A BROKEN LEFT WING AND LANDING GEAR DAMAGE. RECEIVER WAS A BRAND NEW SPECTRUM AR 8010. I SENT IT BACK TO HORIZON THEY CHECKED IT OUT AND SAID NOTHING WRONG. IN THE MEANTIME I PUT AN AR8000 IN IT AND HAVE FLOWN A FEW TIMES WITH NO ISSUES. I'M RUNNING 6S 5000 50C WITH THE BEC. THE ONLY OTHER ISSUE I'VE HAD IS THE NOSE GEAR NOT RETRACTING , I TOOK THE PLUG OUT AND BACK IN AND SEEMS TO WORK OK. CG IS ALMOST ALL THE WAY FORWARD WITH THOSE BATS BUT I'M GOING TO USE A 6000 WHICH WEIGHS ABOUT SAME AS THE 5000 FOR MORE FLIGHT TIME. HOPE TO TRY THAT SOON AS WE GET SOME FAVORABLE WIND . I'M IN FLORIDA , IT'S WARM BUT WINDY THIS TIME OF THE YEAR. I ALSO TOOK OUT THE WING SLATS SERVOS ETC. AND SAVED SOME WEIGHT, THEY LOOK COOL BUT YOU DON'T REALLY NEED THEM TO LAND SLOW. THE T45 IS A REALLY COOL AIRPLANE AND HOPEFULLY YOU GUYS CAN GET THEM BACK IN THE AIR SOON WITH NO PROBLEMS.

Comment

• Swofly, glad to hear you've had success with the T-45. I would recommend separating the Rx from the Bec with a separate battery pack despite your run of good luck, so far. As I said, I had 15 uneventful flights before the first disaster and 2 before the second, each were with the stock Bec setup. If I jump back in to EDF's I will make the changes listed in my previous post. good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                          X