Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I try to figure out why I've had 2 crashes with my T-45 I just checked the wrecked motor, fan and ESC for the second time with an Astroflight wattmeter and could only get a read of 69 amps. This was with a fully charged 6S 5500ma 45C battery with EC5 connectors. I'm continuing to try to determine why I initially got 15 great flights, then a crash and then after a new fuse, 2 more flights before the second disaster.
    This is with the stock motor, fan and ESC. Probable brownouts with the Spektrum AR9000 Rx I'm told but maybe a faulty ESC if I'm only getting a 69 amp draw to begin with. Heck of a learning curve for me but it's necessary. Any thoughts from the experience from my fellow EDF pilots.
    Thanks,
    JpJet

Comment

• Recalibrate your ESC and check your watts again.

Comment

• RCJDude,
        I'm a newbie with electrics and in buying the T-45 from Motion RC I assume that the esc is correctly calibrated when sold. How do you recalibrate it and with what device??
        Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by jpjet View Post
          RCJDude,
          I'm a newbie with electrics and in buying the T-45 from Motion RC I assume that the esc is correctly calibrated when sold. How do you recalibrate it and with what device??
          Thanks
          You have to set the throttle range by turning your radio on, move the throttle to full throttle then plug the battery in on the plane, after you hear two beeps move the throttle to zero.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks, TRGB,
            I did it twice and still got no more than 60.45amps! ????

Comment

• Being a newbie with electrics my guess, at this point, is I have an ESC that went bad after performing well for awhile. I did not set the throttle range, as you instructed me to, in the beginning of the first 16 flawless flights. So if 69.50 amps is the max and it flew well for 16 flights, maybe voltage drop eventually occurred and that is the reason for. the brownouts that maybe used the crash. Just speculating...
              Thanks, for the help all around.

Comment

• All,

I love this plane but wanted something different. So I removed all the slat servos/linkages and the airbrake servos saving 6 oz. Then swapped the stock 1550kv 12B for the new 1750kv 9B (the one used in the FW F-4). Swapped the nose gear for the FW F-15's. Removed the T-45 unique appendages. Added the T1 ventral fins. Used Testors gloss red and dark blue paint with Callie Graphics.

In short, thrust to weight with an RT 5000/70C went from .78 stock to .86 with the 9B. Now this plane performs! I also have the FMS T1 Hawk 80mm, and although that flies great out of the box, I can say my converted FW 90mm flies even better. However, my flight time goes from 3:30 on the 80mm to 3:00 on the 90mm, using the same 5000/70C.

So ideally, if you want to make a good flying T-45 fly even better, lose some weight and drop in the FW 1750kv 9B.

Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post
                  All,

I love this plane but wanted something different. So I removed all the slat servos/linkages and the airbrake servos saving 6 oz. Then swapped the stock 1550kv 12B for the new 1750kv 9B (the one used in the FW F-4). Swapped the nose gear for the FW F-15's. Removed the T-45 unique appendages. Added the T1 ventral fins. Used Testors gloss red and dark blue paint with Callie Graphics.

In short, thrust to weight with an RT 5000/70C went from .78 stock to .86 with the 9B. Now this plane performs! I also have the FMS T1 Hawk 80mm, and although that flies great out of the box, I can say my converted FW 90mm flies even better. However, my flight time goes from 3:30 on the 80mm to 3:00 on the 90mm, using the same 5000/70C.

So ideally, if you want to make a good flying T-45 fly even better, lose some weight and drop in the FW 1750kv 9B.

Sean
                  That turned out great! Thanks for the information. My buddy George has the same fan in his. It came from my F-4 when I converted it to 8S.

Comment

• Thats exactly what I’d like too and asked the question many pages back. Would love the size of a T45 90mm without all the fluff of Leading edge slats, airbrakes and an efficient motor. I bet you could almost cut out a pound of weight. A V2 version would be really nice. And yes, Ive seen the new FMS 70 mm but would really like a 90mm and who wants to buy a whole new set of 6S 3300mah batteries when we all have 6S 5,000’s?

Comment

• I like the slats. They really help me get out of our grass field with obstacles (pine trees) on one end. The speed brakes though are tough to get adjusted the same. And then the servos are too small. Plus they are glued in, which makes removing them a pain as you can easily damage the exhaust duct. That being said, its a great jet to fly in stock configuration. The sound is incredible. And everyone loves it at the field. And I have a new one on order...
                      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Assembled my new T-45 today hoping to fly it this weekend. Nope. Bad flap servo and elevator servos. Needless to say It's disappointing.

However, Motion has sent me replacements already plus some other parts as well. They have earned my business for sure.

Comment

• Maidened the new T-45 this evening. Got 4 flights on her.

On flights 1 and 2, I had an issue with the gear not fully retracting. As it turned out, I had plugged the esc power lead into an unused elevator channel on the board. My thinking was that the board would distribute the power rather than the RX.
                          So I plugged that esc power into an unused channel on the RX (X8R receiver, RSSI port) and all went back to normal. Lesson learned.

I flew her with default low timing. I hit the pattern at 2 minutes and rolled up to the bench by 3 minutes. Batteries were all at 3.85/cell.

I cannot say how much I love this jet. It's a truly great model. And you cannot beat the sound.

Flight 3 of 4
                          First flight of the day where all the gear tucked up nicely. (at 0:33 the words are "all tucked up". I know it sounded like something else...but it wasn't)

Comment

• Looks great and nice flight, had me worried though if you were going to make it in time on that take off.:Scared:

Just got mine back together after a mishap with a fence, maiden this weekend I hope. Also is yours all stock? I know you said you like the sound but if you decide to upgrade, try the FW 4068-1680kv, the sound is even better than stock and very smooth too, I took the 1680kv out after I crashed mine, used it in a Yak 130 so now that I have it back together I put a 9 blade power plant from the F-4, just for fun I wanted to see how it performs in the T-45 then I will switch back to the 1680kv.

Comment

• Yeah our grass had not been cut in 4 days. Plus it was probably our hottest day so far, and muggy. So takeoff performance was marginal.
                              With a fresh cut, she will launch in about 125ft. This video shows a typical takeoff on our field. I used about 150 ft. But the grass was high.
                              And yes, bone stock.

I may try that 4068-1680 in the future. Do you think it would help me get off the grass quicker?

Here is the maiden.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                                Looks great and nice flight, had me worried though if you were going to make it in time on that take off.:Scared:

Just got mine back together after a mishap with a fence, maiden this weekend I hope. Also is yours all stock? I know you said you like the sound but if you decide to upgrade, try the FW 4068-1680kv, the sound is even better than stock and very smooth too, I took the 1680kv out after I crashed mine, used it in a Yak 130 so now that I have it back together I put a 9 blade power plant from the F-4, just for fun I wanted to see how it performs in the T-45 then I will switch back to the 1680kv.
                                I'm interested to hear what you think about the 1750kv 9B compared to the 1680kv 12B. I put the 1750 in mine and removed 6 oz by pulling all the slat and speed brake hardware...the increase in performance is significant.

Sean

Comment

• I would like to see the difference in your configuration and mine EDFjetpilot. You are just down the road you know...

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                    I would like to see the difference in your configuration and mine EDFjetpilot. You are just down the road you know...
                                    I saw your posts on the Jet Fest thread in TN...are you going? I'm planning to and plan on bringing my T-45/T1 conversion. So maybe we can compare there.

I considered using the 1680kv for my conversion, then chose against it since it's heavier and costs more than the new 1750kv. Admittedly, the 1750kv has more whine to it than the stock 1550kv. However, that's easy to overlook once you fly it.

I also fly from grass and realize a heavier plane sinks further into the grass thus creating more drag on takeoff and a longer takeoff roll. So that was another reason for making my conversion lighter by removing the slat/speed brake hardware and going with a lighter EDF unit. I use 5000mah batteries flying from grass since my 6000s also increase that weight and takeoff roll distance.

I'm looking forward to flying it off pavement at the Jet Fest. Hope to meet you there.

​​​​​​​Sean

Comment

• Originally posted by EDFjetpilot View Post

I'm interested to hear what you think about the 1750kv 9B compared to the 1680kv 12B. I put the 1750 in mine and removed 6 oz by pulling all the slat and speed brake hardware...the increase in performance is significant.

Sean
                                      Okay, will up date you guys on performance of the 9 blade, I did run it up and what a big difference in sound, the 9 blade has a high whine to it, the 12 blade 1680kv has a nice smooth woooosh to it, I like sound more than performance so I will be going back to the 1680.

seaviper,

I think the 1680kv will help you get airborn sooner but where I noticed it helped the most, was the climb out, it pulls longer and vertical is better, speed wise it is just a little faster but not much. If the tail comes tomorrow then I will maiden this weekend and see how the 9 blade does.

Comment

• Thanks for the info on the 1680kv. I did the FMS 90mm/yep 150 conversion on my F-4. I like the sound better than the stock power. But performance is about the same. But I like the sound better.

As far as power goes, I may experiment with higher timing settings and just keep the stock setup.

Have any of you ever run the stock power on high timing? I may try it out this weekend.

Reference the slats and brakes... I have read several posts where people took out the slat mechs and brake gear. That's fine. But for me, I really like those features.
                                        My programming is such that at flaps 1, no slats come out. I use this for entering the downwind and for a no-slat takeoff setting. At flaps 2 (full), if gear are down and throttle has been below 30% for at least 1 second, then the brakes come out on a 2 second slow down. If throttle goes back up above 30% ,or flaps come up a notch, or gear comes up (read TOGA), then the brakes go back in. It all works rather seamlessly and automagically. But it really does help make very steep approaches into our short field. The programming is a little more involved than described here. But I can share the model settings with anyone interested. I fly the Taranis X9D Plus SE.

And I don't know if it's in the book or not, but I also have a little flap-elevator mixing as well. I really like it.

Sean...Man I might go. I don't know. I would like to bring the RV. I think I can shoe-horn a couple planes in there.

Comment

• Just pulled the trigger on a T-45. Couldn't wait on project Foil any longer. Sure to be announced in the next 48 hours.:)

Comment

Working...
                                          X