X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
    First let me say that I am sorry to see that you lost a T-45. I know what that feels like.
    As far as the loss of control goes, it doesn't sound like a brown out to me. The T-45 has a nice BEC that can handle anything it has on board. On the T-45, however, you have to be careful where you put your antennas.

Do you have some way of range checking the aircraft and looking at RSSI numbers?

I don't fly Spektrum any more. My radio is a Tarannis X9D. On my radio I can see a readout of radio signal strength as seen from the receiver. My radio also has a feature where you can reduce the range to about 1/30 for range checking on ground. This allows me to walk out 100ft, check the numbers (usually around 49 to 51db for the T-45) instead of just wiggling controls, then switch back to normal mode. I then know that out to 3000ft I will have 49-51 db signal strength. The accuracy of this test has been proven time and again in the air. I log these readings in real time as I fly. In the air I will get a warning if the signal strength goes below a certain point that I designate. On the ground, I can see maximum and minimum RSSI values for the flight. The range check feature on the Tarannis has proven to be very accurate. But I am sure other radios can do the same or similar thing to help you range check. I'm pretty sure Spektrum can show you RSSI values.

Also, depending on your antenna placement in the aircraft, you may want to re-orient your antenna on the transmitter if you have that option. I know on my A-4, if i rotate my transmitter antenna to the side, then I get a little better signal strength than if it is vertical. It all depends on your installation and transmitter of course. But I would do some tests with the old and the new receiver to see if that is what it was.
    Just to know... How can I see the RSSI level on the Spektrum DX9? That will help me know if my receiver has been placed in the proper way.

thanks in advanced. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Better handling and much cheaper.
      T-45 is my favorite jet. It handles like a dream. All jets are bricks when they get slow. I love flying the T-45. You cannot beat the sound. And mine goes like a scalded dog. If your T-45 is not fast, then you are set up wrong. And mine is a stock outrunner.
      However for a beginner to EDF's, it could be a challenge. Just rely on your own experience. If you think you can handle it, go for it. That's what makes this hobby fun.

I would recommend something like one of the 80mm jets as a first edf. They fly more like the heavier jets than the 70mm jets do. The A-4 is such a floater that it might be a good first jet too. It is rugged and can get out of tight spaces.
      I mention the 80mm jets because they are lighter and therefore more forgiving than their big brothers.

my 2 cents
      Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraskojones View Post

Just to know... How can I see the RSSI level on the Spektrum DX9? That will help me know if my receiver has been placed in the proper way.

thanks in advanced. ;)
        The DX9 does not have the capability to monitor/show RSSI.
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post

T-45 is my favorite jet. It handles like a dream. All jets are bricks when they get slow. I love flying the T-45. You cannot beat the sound. And mine goes like a scalded dog. If your T-45 is not fast, then you are set up wrong. And mine is a stock outrunner.
          However for a beginner to EDF's, it could be a challenge. Just rely on your own experience. If you think you can handle it, go for it. That's what makes this hobby fun.

I would recommend something like one of the 80mm jets as a first edf. They fly more like the heavier jets than the 70mm jets do. The A-4 is such a floater that it might be a good first jet too. It is rugged and can get out of tight spaces.
          I mention the 80mm jets because they are lighter and therefore more forgiving than their big brothers.

my 2 cents
          And.... better flight time with the 80mm stuff.
          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Can you guys please tell me about these:

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Since I am returning to R/C there are a few new brands of radios that I am unfamiliar with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoopy47 View Post
              Can you guys please tell me about these:

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Since I am returning to R/C there are a few new brands of radios that I am unfamiliar with.
              You'd probably stand a better chance of getting a response if you move/repost to the Radio's, Receivers and Accessories section of the forum ;)
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• With the new FMS fan coming out and working really well in my F-104, I am thinking of getting a kit plus and trying the fan in this plane! It would shift the CG forward just a tad but the weight would go way down! Man... too many ideas now!! LOL
                Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• I'm modding mine to a BAe Hawk T1 version. I have removed the slats, speed brakes and their respective servos. I have the new FMS 90mm fan in it and I did have to move the battery back in the compartment to maintain the same CG location.

Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                  With the new FMS fan coming out and working really well in my F-104, I am thinking of getting a kit plus and trying the fan in this plane! It would shift the CG forward just a tad but the weight would go way down! Man... too many ideas now!! LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                    I'm modding mine to a BAe Hawk T1 version. I have removed the slats, speed brakes and their respective servos. I have the new FMS 90mm fan in it and I did have to move the battery back in the compartment to maintain the same CG location.

Looking good there. :Cool:

Comment

I'm modding mine to a BAe Hawk T1 version. I have removed the slats, speed brakes and their respective servos. I have the new FMS 90mm fan in it and I did have to move the battery back in the compartment to maintain the same CG location.

I will be skipping the 90mm and going with the 80mm Red Arrow from FMS... no work required on that one!
                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Sounds like an awesome project vduniec. Keep us posted! That thing will be a rocket with the weight removed. I do love the slats and brakes on my T-45 though. I routinely land with speed brakes as I can keep a little more throttle in on final. Also I have to dive in over trees here.

Comment

• Still waiting for my graphics so I keep fiddling with it. Added some exposed fasteners effects and other painted details.

This shot shows my speed brake mod. After removing the actuating servos, I cut the protruding portion of the speed brakes off and glued them closed. I then used Scotch Magic Tape to cover the areas. If you zoom in, you'll be able to see it but with this dark paint scheme it disappears only a foot or two away.

Comment

• Flight 26 on the repainted T-45.

Yesterday I got carried away at the club meet and landed the T-45 with a really low battery. So low that I hit LVC after landing. Battery was an Admiral 6S 5000 50C (new version) and was at or about 3% at landing. After an overnight wait, the cells were showing around 5% or 3.5v per cell on all cells. So I charged it up this morning and she charged evenly and quickly. Flew the same battery today for 3 full minutes in the A-4. On landing it was showing 43% or about 3.84 per cell. Damn good batteries!

Anyway here is my checkout flight today just to make sure the T-45 didn't have any wierdness going on with the electronics. Just some lazy 1/2 throttle flying. Yesterday I had yet another speed brake servo failure (one of the factory original servos). I have decided to just placard the speed brakes as INOP for the rest of the T-45's days.

Comment

• Here is my mod of the T-45 to the BAe Hawk T1.

Comment

• Man that looks great!
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Yes it does! Great job, Vduniec!
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Well done sir!

Comment

• For those of you pilots using a DX8 could you show me your settings for the flaps/slats mix? For some reason I just can’t get the slats to work as intended. Flaps work but slats are inop. Thanks!

Comment

Here is my mod of the T-45 to the BAe Hawk T1.
                                        Man what a good looking bird!!!! Great job!!

Comment

• I had a hard landing last week with the T-45. Bent a main retract pin and damaged the nose gear mount. I had already placarded the speed brakes. To fix the nose gear mount I really need to just order a new fuselage. But I am not going to.
                                          The T-45 has been decommissioned. It's a good bird. But mine is now retired. I'll probably put the power system in another ARF+ bird eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                          X