X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 90mm T-45 Goshawk Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 90mm EDF T-45 Goshawk. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

What an awesome new jet that has finally arrived. I received mine on Thursday and immediately opened it to get started on the assembly.
    I wanted to provide some information that would be helpful to those considering this jet. Freewing makes really outstanding EDF jets, and they went over the top with this one.

There are a few things to take note of in some areas of the assembly, so that you can prevent future problems. The attached video shows a few of the things I ran into during the assembly. Some of which were also noted by some others who recently purchased this beautiful bird.

They aren't serious issues, but just take note and take care of these things early so you can enjoy this jet. The things I cover aren't necessarily what you'd get, but some other new owners are also experiencing similar things to note. Then others say they have no issues at all.

I can't wait to get this jet in the air for the maiden.

Thanks Motion RC for providing such an awesome jet! And thanks for the support during one of the questions I had during the assembly.

Ryan at Motion received his as well, and gave an outstanding report on the flight characteristics. Alpha posted a mobius video from inside the cockpit. It definitely shows how stable and smooth it flies.

I'll post a maiden video some time next week. Our winds are very high this week in N. Texas.

Let's fly!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__QTSj-Xj20

Comment

RE: New Freewing T-45 1st assembly highlights

Originally posted by Sky Wolf
      What an awesome new jet that has finally arrived. I received mine on Thursday and immediately opened it to get started on the assembly.
      I wanted to provide some information that would be helpful to those considering this jet. Freewing makes really outstanding EDF jets, and they went over the top with this one.

There are a few things to take note of in some areas of the assembly, so that you can prevent future problems. The attached video shows a few of the things I ran into during the assembly. Some of which were also noted by some others who recently purchased this beautiful bird.

They aren't serious issues, but just take note and take care of these things early so you can enjoy this jet. The things I cover aren't necessarily what you'd get, but some other new owners are also experiencing similar things to note. Then others say they have no issues at all.

Thanks Motion RC for providing such an awesome jet! And thanks for the support during one of the questions I had during the assembly.

Ryan at Motion received his as well, and gave an outstanding report on the flight characteristics. Alpha posted a mobius video from inside the cockpit. It definitely shows how stable and smooth it flies.

I'll post a maiden video some time next week. Our winds are very high this week in N. Texas.

Let's fly!!!

Nice video and report but I must say you are more forgiving than I think I might be receiving my "brand new" aircraft looking somewhat suspiciously "handled". Sometimes being one of the first owners of a new product has some risks like early production problems. Still, looks like an awesome jet for the price and I'm
      very jealous ;) . Good luck on the maiden and looking forward to a flight video.

Thanks
      Steve
      AMA 95495
      Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
      Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Originally posted by rc-eflyer

Let's fly!!!

Nice video and report but I must say you are more forgiving than I think I might be receiving my "brand new" aircraft looking somewhat suspiciously "handled". Sometimes being one of the first owners of a new product has some risks like early production problems. Still, looks like an awesome jet for the price and I'm
        very jealous ;) .  Good luck on the maiden and looking forward to a flight video.

Thanks
        Steve
        Thanks Steve! Honestly, I briefly considered sending it back to Motion. But after waiting 4 months for this to arrive it just didn't make sense. It's not their fault anyway. Motion has always been extremely fair to me, and really takes great care of me when something suspicious goes bad. Even when it wasn't their fault. It just didn't seem right to make them pay for what Freewing should be doing. 

I just hope they are aware of some of the QC issues and addresses it with them. Besides, I was just tired of waiting and ready to fly my $500.

If you can, you should get one at some point. I'll post a flight video as soon as I can get her airborne.

Comment

Should we be combining flaps slats or keep the two on separate switches?????

Comment

Originally posted by garyjet
            Should we be combining flaps slats or keep the two  on separate switches?????
            Depending on what kind of radio yo use, I've read that some are able to program them to work together. I personally haven't looked into it yet. For now I have them on separate channels. I'm sure you've discovered that they are reversed from each other when set up on a Y-connector.  I also read that one guy may use a servo reverser on the slats. 

Comment

Thanks for posting your video and honest thoughts, Sky Wolf, we appreciate it!

Garyjet, I combine slats and flaps onto the same three position switch. I create a mix:

Position 0: Slats up, Flaps up. I use this for takeoff and normal flight.
              Position 1: Slats up, Flaps down ~15 degrees. I use this for takeoff, sometimes, to shorten the takeoff roll if there isn't a headwind.
              Position 2: Slats down, Flaps down ~45-55 degrees. I use this for landing.

I have the air brakes on a rotary lever, so I can dial in as much or as little as I want. The model lands easily without any flaps, slats, or speed brakes. Learning how and when and how much to deploy those three components is part of the fun with this model. It is a slight learning curve but should be easy for most pilots operating an aircraft of this caliber.

Per the manual, I also have down elevator mixed in with the flaps.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks Alpha I have a DX-8 transmitter

Comment

I fly Hitec, not Spektrum, but I do know their DX-8 has a three position switch so you'll be fine if you wanted to configure it like I did. This weekend we maidened two T-45s for pilots at my field. One configured it like I did, and the other opted instead to assign slats, flaps, and brakes to three separate switches. Go with what you're comfortable with.

Comment

Let's fly!!!

Great overview !!!! Seems that the first production batch will implement a few tweaks for the next . I know you waited a while to get and that the issues are NOT MRC faults but hopefully they will pass on the things you have brought to light . Great job and its a beauty looking forward to seeing your flight videos...

Bryan    
                    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                      Thanks for posting your video and honest thoughts, Sky Wolf, we appreciate it!

Garyjet, I combine slats and flaps onto the same three position switch. I create a mix:

Position 0: Slats up, Flaps up. I use this for takeoff and normal flight.
                      Position 1: Slats up, Flaps down ~15 degrees. I use this for takeoff, sometimes, to shorten the takeoff roll if there isn't a headwind.
                      Position 2: Slats down, Flaps down ~45-55 degrees. I use this for landing.

I have the air brakes on a rotary lever, so I can dial in as much or as little as I want. The model lands easily without any flaps, slats, or speed brakes. Learning how and when and how much to deploy those three components is part of the fun with this model. It is a slight learning curve but should be easy for most pilots operating an aircraft of this caliber.

Per the manual, I also have down elevator mixed in with the flaps.
                      Thanks Alpha! And thanks for sharing your slat/flaps set up info. I'll be trying the same set-up on my DX9.

Comment

I fly Hitec, not Spektrum, but I do know their DX-8 has a three position switch so you'll be fine if you wanted to configure it like I did. This weekend we maidened two T-45s for pilots at my field. One configured it like I did, and the other opted instead to assign slats, flaps, and brakes to three separate switches. Go with what you're comfortable with.
                        Good luck on the maiden flights waiting on the batteries for mine then up into the wild blue...thanks agine for the info on settings.

Comment

A little late to this post but I have seen a few reviews before but none were NEVER from the front steps! Nice video!

Kevin
                          Off with one helluva roar!
                          AMA 1085465

Comment

Originally posted by XF-15DCC
                            A little late to this post but I have seen a few reviews before but none were NEVER from the front steps! Nice video!

Kevin
                            Ha, ha! Thanks Kevin, and glad you enjoyed it. 

Comment

Hi Guys. Here are a few videos of the T-45. I'm loving this plane!!
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENDM31ssq8
                              [hr]
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwhxplMyIEI

Comment

Originally posted by Mightywarhoover
                                Hi Guys.  Here are a few videos of the T-45. I'm loving this plane!!
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tENDM31ssq8

[hr]
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwhxplMyIEI
                                Have seen a few of your flights on RCGroups. Flying her well! Can't wait to get mine in the skies. 

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64

Let's fly!!!

Great overview !!!! Seems that the first production batch will implement a few tweaks for the next . I know you waited a while to get and that the issues are NOT MRC faults but hopefully they will pass on the things you have brought to light . Great job and its a beauty looking forward to seeing your flight videos...

Bryan    
                                  Thanks Bryan, I hope to maiden her sometime next week. The work schedule and the winds forecast haven't been favorable to each other lately. 
                                  I'll be taking my "totally understanding", "never asks questions", "beautiful", and sometimes let's me fly, wife, to Jamaica this weekend. Gotta earn some flight time bonus points! I'll post a maiden review as well.

Thanks again for the kudos on the video!

Comment

Hello Guys, Wow the new T-45 is a beautiful flyer! I'll have to say as we move towards the next year, there are going to be some nice aircraft being designed. I wish we knew all the highlights now; I'd like to prepare for the pricing! Anyhoo, great videos, information and I'm happy to see these new jets becoming such a HIT! Talk at you later. Matt customer service team~!

Comment

Nice video, Mightywarhoover, thanks for sharing! One of the younger pilots at our field has been flying his T-45 wonderfully. There were doubts among the peanut gallery if he was ready for it, since he's only been flying for three months. Normally I wouldn't recommend the T-45 for novice flyers but he has flown the F-5 and other EDFs and fast prop planes with increasing proficiently. He was looking to make the move up to his first 90mm jet and after I talked him through his first couple flights he has proved to his father and the rest of us that he wouldn't plant the T-45 in the ground. So far so good!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice video, Mightywarhoover, thanks for sharing! One of the younger pilots at our field has been flying his T-45 wonderfully. There were doubts among the peanut gallery if he was ready for it, since he's only been flying for three months. Normally I wouldn't recommend the T-45 for novice flyers but he has flown the F-5 and other EDFs and fast prop planes with increasing proficiently. He was looking to make the move up to his first 90mm jet and after I talked him through his first couple flights he has proved to his father and the rest of us that he wouldn't plant the T-45 in the ground. So far so good!
                                        That is too cool to see a kid that can handle the T-45! Shows just how quickly kids catch onto things. Oh, the good ol' days!

Comment

Working...
                                        X