X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing 80mm A-10 Modifications

Ok, time to let the 'Cool Cat' out of the bag. This thread is to document mine and anyone elses impressions and modifications of the new Freewing 80/90mm A-10. I received mine on May 4th after being given an opportunity to get it early because of the modifications I planned to make to it and the fact that I intend to take it to NEFI this year. I am extremely appreciative to Motion RC for even considering me and the time it would take to make these modifications. It is truly an honor to be the first customer to receive this awesome plane. The changes I have in store are an operable canopy, semi-scale cockpit interior, JHH 1/10th scale pilot figure, my powder canon, the Shockwave2 sound system, an extendable ladder, wing leading edge slats, Nerf Vortex whistles and Euro green camo done up in the 82-0665 markings for the 'Cool Cat' or 'The Last Tiger' which is in line with the markings offered by Callie Graphics. I will also be adding additional custom made water-slide decals and some personal touches. So far I have installed the speakers, began the mod to install the ladder box, lined the canopy with sheet styrene, fabricated the Acess II ejection seat and cockpit interior, modified the pilot to fit, and assembled the model to make sure everything works and prepare it for painting. I am hoping to have it at least painted enough by this Thursday the 18th to take it to Joe Nall where I would love to get Kelly Leggette (legman01) to autograph it since he is an experienced A-10 pilot. I will not have it completed by then but it will be by NEFI. Very soon people will start receiving their shipping notifications and this plane will not disappoint. The packaging is the typical two sections of molded styrofoam in a heavy duty box and was received without any damage. The unboxing was straight forward and the only issue I had with it was that some interleaving paper slid out from between the insignia and chaff dispenser decals allowing them to stick together and I destroyed them trying to get them apart. I reported the issue but for me it was not a big deal as I just duplicated the decals I needed and made my own. My first impression was that the overall quality of this kit is extremely high. The foam is firm with very little grain visible in it. There was no thin paint anywhere and the fit of the parts is solid. All the servos worked with no issues and the gear cycled without fail. I did have one spot on one of the flaps where a little extra glue got out onto the flap at a hinge causing it to be stiffer than it should but an xacto knife broke the bond and I flexed it up and down to which it freed right up. It has been said before but the plane is huge and even though it has the same wingspan as my 1700mm Corsair, it seems huge compared to it. I have an 8' x 8' work table and it takes up a significant amount of space on it so be prepared as you will need some room for this beast! Fishing some of the wires can be a little tricky but with some patience you will get it. Mike did an excellent job in the build video outlining how to assemble it and Kloverzero has also mentioned that connecting the servo leads to the connector board can be tricky to which I agree. If the spacing on the board was just a little wider between pins it would make things a lot easier but it will work with some effort. This plane is a "modders" dream because it is big and as a result the interior is very open needless to say. I will have no trouble fitting my powder canon and other goodies inside it although I most likely will have to relocate the connector board to do it. My plan is to document each phase of the modification process starting with the canopy/cockpit. There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat so to speak (pun intended) and I am sure there are better ways to do the things that I will present so I hope this stimulates some actual modification experiences very soon as people start to get theirs. I will post pictures of the canopy/cockpit modifications soon but for now here are a few pictures to help wet the appetite. After the 18th I will get more details up but bear in mind I am trying to get some paint on this thing before Thursday.

Here is a list of all the changes I made to the plane and some additional specs.

- Shockwave2 sound system using two TT-25 speakers wired in series utilizing the original turbofan start up and shut down sound files but using a custom GAU-8 sound file that I created. Integrated with the custom powder canon.
    - Custom pneumatic powder canon good for several shots.
    - Semi scale cockpit detail including removable pilot figure and ejection seat.
    - Opening canopy.
    - Onboard leading edge wing slats.
    - Stowable ladder.
    - Painted landing gear struts.
    - Custom paint in the European camo scheme using exterior latex paint.
    - IR window on sniper pod.
    - Maverick rails.
    - Custom decals mostly from Callie Graphics.
    - Custom battery tray to allow stacking batteries in the aft location.
    - GT POWER gear door sequencing module.
    - TIGRB custom nose gear bracket.
    - 5mm square carbon fiber tube fuselage reinforcements.
    - Removed Pave Penny pod.
    - Stock 80mm 9-blade fans and 100A ESC's.
    - Scorpion Backup Guard.
    - Hobby Eagle A3-L gyro.
    - Spektrum DX9 radio and AR9020 9-chanel receiver.
    - Roaring Top 5800mAh 35C 6S or 5000mAh 70C 6S batteries.
    - AUW ready to fly with ordnance - 16lbs 1oz.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170515_005945.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	75695

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170515_005859.jpg Views:	1 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	75696

Some of the cockpit detail...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170515_005734.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.3 KB ID:	75697

The look I am shooting for.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cool_cat_3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	229.7 KB ID:	75698

Steve

Very cool!!! It is awesome that they sent you one early! Looking forward to the build for sure, would love to do some of these mods when mine arrives! One quick question if you would mind taking a few quick measurements. If I were to replace the trailing link mains with straight oleos what length and pin diameter would I need?

Comment

Thanks DD, I will try to get that info. for you this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
        Very cool!!! It is awesome that they sent you one early! Looking forward to the build for sure, would love to do some of these mods when mine arrives! One quick question if you would mind taking a few quick measurements. If I were to replace the trailing link mains with straight oleos what length and pin diameter would I need?
        Here you go. I was able to get this during my lunch break. The the pins are 10mm exposed and 5mm dia. The struts are 4.75" long to the axle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170515_124827.jpg
Views:	2053
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	75713

Name:	20170515_124853.jpg
Views:	2036
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	75714

Name:	20170515_125237.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	75715

Comment

Congrats Steve!! That's incredibly awesome! I'm very much looking forward to your progress, especially in the areas of the powder cannon. Flying the A-10 is going to be pure sweetness, but adding the scale details you outlined is going to be icing on a very, very tasty cake. This may be jumping the gun a bit - if you'll pardon the unintended pun - but upon completion of the powder cannon and once it's working to your satisfaction, would you be willing to provide instructions so we could make our own? I'd be more than happy to pay you for the instructions as well, to compensate you or your time, energy, and ideas. Understand if you didn't, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Here you go. I was able to get this during my lunch break. The the pins are 10mm exposed and 5mm dia. The struts are 4.75" long to the axle.
            Awesome, thanks so much for the info! Do they compress much under the static load? Looks like a 115mm Oleo would a nice fit.

Comment

Very :Cool: RCJD.........Am glad that Motion reached outside it's normal circle of "testers" and bestowed one rightfully on you because of your planned mods ;)
              Am stoked to see it first hand @ NEFI with the canopy and canon mods.
              Thanx for those measurement because I like DD am considering a more scale main gear oleo.
              What is the diameter and length of the main wheel axle?
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Awesome, thanks so much for the info! Do they compress much under the static load? Looks like a 115mm Oleo would a nice fit.
                Under static load I would say they deflect very little but it is a stout plane. I will try to get an AUW this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                  Very :Cool: RCJD.........Am glad that Motion reached outside it's normal circle of "testers" and bestowed one rightfully on you because of your planned mods ;)
                  Thanx for those measurement because I like DD am considering a more scale main gear oleo.
                  Thanks WC, I know the wheel axles are 5mm but I will check their length tonight and let you know.

Comment

Fantastic, we can't wait to see all the great mods you plan!

One note, it seems like some of your photos are broken links?
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

It has been giving me grief with making some edits like it doesn't suddenly recognize me but how do I get them to go away?

Comment

That's a great list of mods. What is the weight of the prototype powder cannon and what do you hope to get the final version down to? Great idea.

Comment

Very cool Steve, you're making "Tirediron Aviation" proud ;)
                          TiredIron Aviation
                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                            That's a great list of mods. What is the weight of the prototype powder cannon and what do you hope to get the final version down to? Great idea.
                            Last I checked it was around 11 ozs. but I made some changes to lighten it up considerably so I need to do a double check.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                              Very cool Steve, you're making "Tirediron Aviation" proud ;)
                              Thank you George. You sir are an inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                Fantastic, we can't wait to see all the great mods you plan!

One note, it seems like some of your photos are broken links?
                                It looks OK from my computer but not my smart phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Then View Post
                                  Congrats Steve!! That's incredibly awesome! I'm very much looking forward to your progress, especially in the areas of the powder cannon. Flying the A-10 is going to be pure sweetness, but adding the scale details you outlined is going to be icing on a very, very tasty cake. This may be jumping the gun a bit - if you'll pardon the unintended pun - but upon completion of the powder cannon and once it's working to your satisfaction, would you be willing to provide instructions so we could make our own? I'd be more than happy to pay you for the instructions as well, to compensate you or your time, energy, and ideas. Understand if you didn't, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
                                  Thanks Mike, I am looking into my options concerning it. Never hurts to ask. I need to make darn sure it is effective and reliable before moving that direction as I do not want it to be problematic for people.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                    Looks like all together it is about 15 ozs. with powder.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                      The main wheel axles are 35mm long and 5mm dia.

Comment

No noticeable compression under static load and I am looking at an AUW of 15.5 lbs. with two Roaring Top 5800 mAh 35C packs, the sound system, powder canon and full load out. It's a big bird.

Comment

Working...
                                        X