Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very interested in your ladder mod. I have gathered all the plastic telescoping tubing size wise, that my LHS had on the rack. I have an idea as to what sizes to work with but like to compare notes. I am thinking each extendable leg would be starting at say 5/16"fixed upper, 9/32 as a retaining ring on the top end of the first extendable leg of 1/4". A small section of the 9/32 would be glued into the bottom end of the 5/16 as a retention ring for the 1/4" leg. This would then continue down in size to the last or third extension of 1/8". I gave thought of aluminum tubing but the plastic is easier to assemble in this manner. What thoughts are there to this route? I was going to check out the hobby lobby doll house section for hinges but not sure how small they go down to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jpahemi1 View Post
      Looks great. Love your mods. I'm working on a tomcat right now too keep me busy until my preorder gets here. I just made the first group. My A10 will be in the Red Devils livery.

How are you going to lock down the front of the canopy?
      Thanks
      john
      Catching up a bit as I have been at the Nall all day. I glued a strip of thin styrene (still have to paint it) under the lip of the canopy front frame to lock it down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_212022.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	76429 7

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post
        Looks really good Steve- love it. I would do the same livery too if I could believe gatoring wouldn't raise it's ugly head with the dark colours. It's impossible to always keep a model in shade and it seems to me 15 minutes in hot sun would cause irreparable damage- please tell me I'm wrong.
        Tom
        I had the painted wing with me today at the Nall to get it signed by legman01 and it was exposed to a significant amount of sun with no visible issues as I too was concerned about it gatoring. I talked at length about it with Kloverzero who was there and we both felt that the harder foam used to make the plane makes a huge difference as well. Time will tell but today I was surprisingly pleased with how it behaved.

Comment

vduniec, I will be posting more details. Not trying to go fast but trying to keep things in context. I only got the plane on the 4th and was really hoping to be able to take more of it to the Nall than just a wing but that was all I could manage.

Patrnflyr, to answer your questions concerning painting the plane, I simply used an airbrush and free-handed each color. Medium green first, then dark green then gray. I used this airbrush I got off eBay for around $30, Master Airbrush model SB80.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170518_214215.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.1 KB ID:	76444

I went by the color pattern defined in my squadron/signal publications Walk Around A-10 book.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170518_214309.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	76445

I used latex exterior paint from ACE Hardware and mixed it with Createx Colors High Performance Reducer at a ratio of 2 parts paint to 1 part reducer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	14951586779572124077531.jpg Views:	1 Size:	22.9 KB ID:	76446

I ended up not sanding anything but did wipe it down with denatured alcohol and a tac cloth.

I only primed any bare foam or plastic with plain old Rustoleum primer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	14951591502671162392699.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.5 KB ID:	76447

The primer on the plastic pieces helps the latex paint to stick better on them and I used the yellow Frog tape for masking.

This is what I did and only examples of how it can be done. I look forward to seeing how your project turns out.

Comment

1. No surface prep whatsoever.
            2. No primer.
            3. No masking needed
            4. Paint entire plane's camouflage pattern by hand using un-thinned Home Depot Flat Latex paint. Use a fine brush to paint canopy frames and around other detail areas.
            5. Follow along pattern demarcation lines using an airbrush with thinned camouflage colors. Thinning mixture is 50% paint, 50% Windex.
            6. Hand paint areas where decals will go with Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss.
            7. Apply decals.
            8. Hand paint entire aircraft with Super Loaded Matte Medium, mixed 50/50 with Windex. This will give aircraft a very flat finish and hide the uneven brush strokes from hand painting.
            9. Weather aircraft as desired.

Here is the end result of my technique.

Originally posted by Patrnflyr View Post
            Great work! Could you please do a few of us a favor? We are very interested in changing the color of this plane and most of us have about 90% of the info to do a nice scheme. We're just missing something to tie all the painting technique together. We have the Home Depot latex paint, the decals from Callie's and even the Minwax (if it's correct version). Not sure of the "technique" though. Sand or not? primer or not? how do you handle the plastic pieces? correct masking tape? I'm wanting to do the 3 color tan version and have the 3 views too. Just want a little push to move a boring all gray plane to something I can call mine... thanks for taking the time to help us that are lost

Comment

Originally posted by sam51401 View Post
              Very interested in your ladder mod. I have gathered all the plastic telescoping tubing size wise, that my LHS had on the rack. I have an idea as to what sizes to work with but like to compare notes. I am thinking each extendable leg would be starting at say 5/16"fixed upper, 9/32 as a retaining ring on the top end of the first extendable leg of 1/4". A small section of the 9/32 would be glued into the bottom end of the 5/16 as a retention ring for the 1/4" leg. This would then continue down in size to the last or third extension of 1/8". I gave thought of aluminum tubing but the plastic is easier to assemble in this manner. What thoughts are there to this route? I was going to check out the hobby lobby doll house section for hinges but not sure how small they go down to.
              I will be using aluminum tubing starting with 10mm for the upper fixed part

Name:	14951603794552136701383.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	76455

and stepping down to 4mm in 1mm increments so 7 sizes altogether. The ladder steps I will make from styrene. I plan to anchor it inside the box with a styrene bracket secured to a piece of 7/16 styrene tubing that holds the top of the upper tube. I believe you are on the same track. The piano hinge was the narrowest one sold by Micro Mark. I struck out on the hinge locally so just ordered it.

Comment

Thanks for all of your advice. Will post pics when it's done

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

I had the painted wing with me today at the Nall to get it signed by legman01 and it was exposed to a significant amount of sun with no visible issues as I too was concerned about it gatoring. I talked at length about it with Kloverzero who was there and we both felt that the harder foam used to make the plane makes a huge difference as well. Time will tell but today I was surprisingly pleased with how it behaved.
                  Thanks for the reply Steve- that sounds encouraging. I didn't realize a denser foam had been used but perhaps sun-induced gatoring will become a thing of the past. Now that would be great!:Cool:
                  Please keep us informed of your continuing experience with this.
                  Tom

Comment

I think it would be great too but I am still going to keep it out of the sun as much as possible and see how it behaves over time.

Comment

For sure. I think when mine arrives I'll paint a small test area black or dark green (maybe the side of a pylon? ), stick it in the sun and see what happens. I would love to do the commemorative D-Day scheme.
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post
                        For sure. I think when mine arrives I'll paint a small test area black or dark green (maybe the side of a pylon? ), stick it in the sun and see what happens. I would love to do the commemorative D-Day scheme.
                        Tom
                        That would look awesome. Painting a pylon would be a good way to test it for sure. The foam is very firm on this plane. For example, even though the wing is largely hollow it does not feel that way at all. There is really not much give or flex to it so it feels more like a solid wing instead and even the pylons feel that way.

Comment

That's great to know- this airplane just sounds better and better.
                          Tom

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

I will be using aluminum tubing starting with 10mm for the upper fixed part

Name:	14951603794552136701383.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	76455

and stepping down to 4mm in 1mm increments so 7 sizes altogether. The ladder steps I will make from styrene. I plan to anchor it inside the box with a styrene bracket secured to a piece of 7/16 styrene tubing that holds the top of the upper tube. I believe you are on the same track. The piano hinge was the narrowest one sold by Micro Mark. I struck out on the hinge locally so just ordered it.

Looking great! So is the ladder going to be collapsible? Impressive. How about the nose gear door on the plane? Does it remain open with the gear down? Just in case, I purchased the Freewing gear door sequencer to address that issue.

If the sequencer is the same one that comes in the plane then the purchase was unnecessary and a rearrangement of the wires is all that is required.

Comment

Originally posted by vduniec View Post

Looking great! So is the ladder going to be collapsible? Impressive. How about the nose gear door on the plane? Does it remain open with the gear down? Just in case, I purchased the Freewing gear door sequencer to address that issue.

If the sequencer is the same one that comes in the plane then the purchase was unnecessary and a rearrangement of the wires is all that is required.
                              It is my understanding that the nose gear door sequencer is not alterable from the factory (per Alpha) so I ordered the additional sequencer to give me the option of either. The funny thing is that I have yet to locate the stock gear door sequencer in the plane. :Confused:At least it is not obvious and I have been more involved with the other mods so I will get to it. The ladder will be collapsible and I will have the nose gear door be open if flying off of well groomed surfaces or switch it to close if not.

Comment

Very Nice Sir! Thanks for sharing your work.

Comment

Canopy/cockpit mods (continued from post #51 and next installment at post #96)

Now that my activities around the Nall are behind me I can get back to providing more info.

I completely guessed on far back to cut the foam to accept the new pilot and seat and ended up needing to make it about 1/4" deeper but it worked out OK. I would recommend cutting the foam back as deep as the blue line as a result with a slight angle backwards to match the recline of the seat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170504_223303.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	76513

I also trimmed the foam for the center panel between the pilots knees.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170504_221426.jpg Views:	1 Size:	28.4 KB ID:	76511

To make my new instrument panels I grabbed an image of the internet which I believe was for the DCS A-10. I added the image to Powerpoint and sized it until it fit the width of the existing cockpit interior. If I recall the front panel needed to be around 2-5/8" wide so I played with it until it was the right size and then I printed it on some photo paper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170505_224447.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.1 KB ID:	76510

I then cut out the panels and glued them to some 0.020" sheet styrene with some 3M77 spray adhesive and then trimmed the plastic accordingly. The dash panel was considerably taller than the original so I used some scrap foam to build up the fairing so it would fit the new panel plus I think it gave it a little better look as well. I also undercut foam on either side so that the side instrument panels would fit properly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170505_234546.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.1 KB ID:	76512

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170505_234642.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	76514

I trial fit the side instrument panels and (notice they overhang the foam on the inside edge) added foam as needed to narrow the side walls for the seat and provide a better fit for the side instrument panels as well. If you cut the foam to the blue line then ignore the pieces I added on either side of the upper seat back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170506_012014.jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	76515

Notice too that I also embedded some 1/8" wide carbon fiber strips on either side to help strengthen this area. I add some additional strips to the underside as well later on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170506_202123.jpg Views:	2 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	76516

More to come later...

Comment

Can you post the file for your cockpit images?

Thanks, Mark

Comment

Originally posted by zorkahn View Post
                                      Can you post the file for your cockpit images?

Thanks, Mark
                                      Do you mean for the instrument panel?

Comment

Sorry I said cockpit images but meant the instrument panel.

Comment

Thanks for keeping this bird under wraps, RCjetdude, I know it wasn't easy. And thanks for all your skillful work, too! You're right, this aircraft is really a "Detailer's Delight". Customizers like you and Brandon Moon and TiredIronGRB and others will have fun with the possibilities this bird's large palette provides. Might I recommend after your current slew of customizations, to also consider fabricating the adapter rail for the AGM-65s. Were you going to do TERs as well?

And in case anyone was wondering, RCjetdude was one of the first pilots to pre-order and he paid in full, so his A-10 discussed here is not a sponsored build --it's entirely his aircraft, his thoughts, his feedback as a paying customer. We've asked him as we've asked all our customer review partners to be thorough and objective. I for one know I'm very excited to try some of these mods when my production A-10 arrives (which is long after all of you receive yours!).

Now, finish up that cannon! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X