Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what I just reordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This paper is for Laserjet printers (no need to seal the decals after they are printed). You can also get it for Inkjet printers, but you'll also have to spray a sealant on them after printing. You can also find these in smaller packages of 5 and 10 sheets. You can get it in Clear (which is what I used), or white backed (sheet is solid white, good for colorized decals).
    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
      This is what I just reordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This paper is for Laserjet printers (no need to seal the decals after they are printed). You can also get it for Inkjet printers, but you'll also have to spray a sealant on them after printing. You can also find these in smaller packages of 5 and 10 sheets. You can get it in Clear (which is what I used), or white backed (sheet is solid white, good for colorized decals).
      Thank you, I appreciate it

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
        Not a mod to the plane but something worth considering. This is a transportation/storage holder for the plane. It allows all of the wing pylons to remain in place. I pinch the pitot tube between one of the battery velcro straps and place the wing tubes in the cockpit area. I also screw the wing mounting screws back into the wings for storage. The plane is entirely self contained for easy storage and transport, sans the armament. The unit can be turned upside down to act as a cradle for assembly and disassembly at the field.

The cords with the carabiners, act as a carrying handle and also as a mounting point to suspend the plane from the ceiling.
        Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Well my Flying Tiger decals are ordered from Callie who is always a pleasure to deal with. Today I'll start with the final prep for painting. I've done 1/4 scale WW I stuff but never foam. I tested Model Master spray enamel on some scrap foam with good results but the Euro Green Enamel will be run thru a airbrush and needs to be cut with thinner which may be a issue. Acrylics are my Plan B but from what I read they don't hold up well. Here's the question am I overthinking all of this?

Mike
          \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Absolutely Mike! As more get theirs and come up with cool mods post away. Everyone is familiar with different products and building methods such that they can bring their creative ideas to the table and share so we can all benefit. I do things a certain way based on my experiences and the way I think but I don't even claim that my ways are the best. There is soooo much that can be done with this plane to trick it out and it is really causing us to stretch our imaginations to do so. This thread is intended to allow us all to show others those ideas, not just me.
            Thanks very much Steve, appreciate that. I ordered the CO2 inflator and a box of 16g threaded CO2 canisters. I chose this one because it's small, lightweight, has a handle to adjust the intensity of the released air, and push-button operation. The idea is to affix a tube to the end of the inflator, run that tube into some sort of container that holds powder (baking soda, talcum powder, corn starch, or whatever sticks to the plane the least :) ) and then run another tube out the opposite end of the container to expel the powder. My thinking is that the CO2 inflator should have enough power to overcome the wind of forward flight and expel the powder outside of the airplane. The powder doesn't have to go forward of the actual plane of course, only just have to exit the airplane in a convincing matter.

I'll mock up something on the ground first of course, then test it on an airplane.... my large flying wing, perhaps. If all goes well, it will go in the A-10 and if THAT goes well, I'll then order a sound system. No point in ordering the sound system if I can't get the visual part working. ;) I'll post pics as I progress through the prototypes and testing.

Comment

• Hey Mike-Then, since the real A-10 has to use an igniter system during the firing of the canon to avoid flame outs from the gases being expelled from the spent ammo due to being sucked into the fans, I'm wondering if there is going to be any problem with the fans sucking in the powder. Or has this already been dealt with? Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                Hey Mike-Then, since the real A-10 has to use an igniter system during the firing of the canon to avoid flame outs from the gases being expelled from the spent ammo due to being sucked into the fans, I'm wondering if there is going to be any problem with the fans sucking in the powder. Or has this already been dealt with? Brad
                That's actually a pretty good point; I didn't think about that. The fans probably will ingest some of the powder. Hopefully it will be something that either won't stick too bad or can be easily blown out with a can of compressed air... or perhaps another CO2 inflator in my toolbox ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike_Then View Post
                  . Hopefully it will be something that either won't stick too bad or can be easily blown out with a can of compressed air... or perhaps another CO2 inflator in my toolbox ;)
                  Or with paper towels and Windex. Much like after flying one of those nasty, slimy, internal combustion engine airplanes. ;)

Comment

That's actually a pretty good point; I didn't think about that. The fans probably will ingest some of the powder. Hopefully it will be something that either won't stick too bad or can be easily blown out with a can of compressed air... or perhaps another CO2 inflator in my toolbox ;)
                    Your talking the difference between an electric ducted fan and a jet engine......only thing you have to worry about at most is the fan getting out of balance.....which I seriously doubt will happen

Comment

• Originally posted by Nucastle View Post

Your talking the difference between an electric ducted fan and a jet engine......only thing you have to worry about at most is the fan getting out of balance.....which I seriously doubt will happen
                      I think your quoting the wrong person there dude. But anyway, I was just alluding to the igniter to point out that at least some of the powder is going to get sucked into the EDF just like on the jet engine and nobody really knows if that will be a problem whether it is bearings or fan imbalance or overheating or cleaning problems, especially in damp conditions just to be clear and constructive. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

I think your quoting the wrong person there dude. But anyway, I was just alluding to the igniter to point out that at least some of the powder is going to get sucked into the EDF just like on the jet engine and nobody really knows if that will be a problem whether it is bearings or fan imbalance or overheating or cleaning problems, especially in damp conditions just to be clear and constructive. Brad
                        It's something to watch out for and I appreciate the advice. I got the inflator yesterday. It's really small; smaller than I expected. And it's lever-operated rather than push-button. This is actually a good thing as I can simply attach the lever to a large servo wheel, and set my end-point to exactly how much airflow I need. Looking forward to testing it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170616_081035.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	81589

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                          OK gents, decals are now ready. If you have already contacted me via PM that you wish to buy a set, I will reply with PayPal instructions. If not, and you would like to order a set, either PM me here, or email me at crxmanpat at gmail.com (no spaces and use the @ sign of course). PayPal Friends & Family is preferred. ;)

IMPORTANT!!! - Please include your full mailing address on the PayPal transaction. Thanks!

For the folks in the US, cost is $5 including postage and will include what is attached to this post (decals and instructions). If you are outside the US, I will see what the mailing costs are and let you know if it will be more.

I have attached PDF files of the decals and instructions here. If you are able to print your own decals, you are more than welcome to do so. Be advised that these are set up on US Standard 8.5x11 paper. If you are using anything other than that size, let me know and I'll send you the Word file so you can set them to fit whatever decal paper size you have. You will have to download the Barrel stencil font in order for the font to be correct. You can download it free here: http://www.dafont.com/barrel.font
                          The first batch of decals has been spoken for, but I received my shipment of decal paper the other day, so these are still available.
                          Pat

Comment

It's something to watch out for and I appreciate the advice. I got the inflator yesterday. It's really small; smaller than I expected. And it's lever-operated rather than push-button. This is actually a good thing as I can simply attach the lever to a large servo wheel, and set my end-point to exactly how much airflow I need. Looking forward to testing it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170616_081035.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	81589
                            Yeah Mike, I wasn't telling YOU all that in my previous post, just trying to clarify with Nucastle so anyway it looks like your well on the way to getting this system up and running.....very cool. I know how much time and effort something like this can take. Brad

Comment

• I have the first paint on my A-10 using Model Master enamels. happy to report the paint has zero effect on the foam. I used the euro green thinned with air-bush thinner and got started than the regulator in my compressor started acting up. ordered a new one ready. While I'm waiting I started with the rattle can MM grey and green no effects and it actually loojs pretty decent. Pictures when I get a bit further. Callie's decals should be here Monday and the decals from Pat arrived and are great.

Mike
                              Attached Files
                              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                                I have the first paint on my A-10 using Model Master enamels. happy to report the paint has zero effect on the foam. I used the euro green thinned with air-bush thinner and got started than the regulator in my compressor started acting up. ordered a new one ready. While I'm waiting I started with the rattle can MM grey and green no effects and it actually loojs pretty decent. Pictures when I get a bit further. Callie's decals should be here Monday and the decals from Pat arrived and are great.

Mike
                                Very nice Mike. I look forward to some pictures. I have been at the Jet Jam and then NEFI since Thursday. What a fun time. I got to meet and fly with several Squawkers including pilot Ryan and captain Mike. Hopefully there will be some pictures and video soon of the activities.

Comment

• Small mods to the plane here. Repainted it to the Euro 1 scheme in the markings of the 174th ANG unit, The Boys from Syracuse. Thank you Callie Graphics!

Added a landing gear sequencer and light controller to allow the nose gear door to remain open when the gear is deployed. Added an upgraded Jet Hangar Hobbies pilot. Added the Nerf whistles.

Still have a few things to do to it like weathering and such but that can be done sometime later between fly days.

What a great job on the engineering, Motion! I am loving this plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by vduniec View Post
                                    Small mods to the plane here. Repainted it to the Euro 1 scheme in the markings of the 174th ANG unit, The Boys from Syracuse. Thank you Callie Graphics!

Added a landing gear sequencer and light controller to allow the nose gear door to remain open when the gear is deployed. Added an upgraded Jet Hangar Hobbies pilot. Added the Nerf whistles.

Still have a few things to do to it like weathering and such but that can be done sometime later between fly days.

What a great job on the engineering, Motion! I am loving this plane.
                                    Beautiful! Excellent job. Love the pics and the Euro scheme. I got 4 good flights in on mine at NEFI. The last no wind landing was a bit of a bouncer but no significant damage to anything. Just have to remember that with full flaps they are more effective than I thought requiring more power for a smooth landing.

Comment

• I bolted a small servo to the level of the CO2 inflator and the servo wasn't strong enough to turn it. I'm assuming because the gas pressure of the CO2 cartridge against the valve to keep it sealed. I then stole a servo out of my Outlaw which is a Hitec HS-625MG servo rated for 94 oz./in. of torque on 6V. Even that isn't strong enough. So I've got my eye on a Turnigy 620DMG servo... it's a high torque metal gear digital servo for $18.95 rated at 147 oz./in. of torque. That should be more than enough to move that lever. Once shipping is factored in, it comes to about $25. Wasn't really wanting to spend that much money on a servo - I'm trying to come out of this on the cheap - but I don't think I'm going to have much of a choice.

Comment

I bolted a small servo to the level of the CO2 inflator and the servo wasn't strong enough to turn it. I'm assuming because the gas pressure of the CO2 cartridge against the valve to keep it sealed. I then stole a servo out of my Outlaw which is a Hitec HS-625MG servo rated for 94 oz./in. of torque on 6V. Even that isn't strong enough. So I've got my eye on a Turnigy 620DMG servo... it's a high torque metal gear digital servo for $18.95 rated at 147 oz./in. of torque. That should be more than enough to move that lever. Once shipping is factored in, it comes to about $25. Wasn't really wanting to spend that much money on a servo - I'm trying to come out of this on the cheap - but I don't think I'm going to have much of a choice.
                                        If it was easy somebody would have done it already. ;) Keep at it buddy. I went the regulator/solenoid route but it also has its own limitations.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

If it was easy somebody would have done it already. ;) Keep at it buddy. I went the regulator/solenoid route but it also has its own limitations.
                                          Yep, totally agree. I went ahead and ordered the servo because apparently I had a store credit of almost $6 that either forgot about or wasn't aware of. LOL It's on the way.

Forgot to mention that I cut up an old inner tube to use the valve. It's a Presta-style valve so the CO2 infaltor screws onto the valve nice and tight. Perfect. And Presta valves are threaded all the way down and come with a threaded locking ring. So my idea currently is to drill a hole in the lid of an old bottle of isopropyl alcohol. I'd use an old fuel tank if I still flew slimers but those days are long gone. ;) I'll use those threaded locking rings to secure the Presta valve to the lid of the bottle. Fill the bottle with talcum powder and have a tube exit the bottle at the bottom and that's where the powder will supposedly come out of. I'll post pics once I get it mocked up.

Comment

Working...
                                          X