Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the decals going on I wanted to take just a moment to comment on them. The decals that come in the box are a combination of water slide and vinyl. The nose art decals are water slide and get applied to a compound curve. Needless to say they are not very flexible and if you have never used WS decals before you could be in for a frustrating experience. I applied the Tiger Shark decals for my subject livery and had to trial fit them to the best of my abilities to pre-trim them to fit around the gun. If you take your time you will get it just like I did but I had to also cut the decals into sections or slit them to overlap. The goal her being no wrinkles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170521_155349.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	77075

The vinyl decals can be trimmed and slit to fit contours as well. Most all of the text and detail decals are a dark gray, almost black color which unfortunately rendered then invisible against the darker colors of my particular scheme so I ended up using a combination of decals from the kit, some I made myself and some from Callie Graphics. I had to make the 'I' just ahead of the refueling port because Callie's was way too big and the one that came in the box was not the right style for my model. I also made my own refueling port

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170521_014631.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	77076

Overall the paint stuck very well that I applied directly to the original gray paint. I do think wiping it down with alcohol helped and being very careful to keep my bare fingers off of it during the process. Wearing Nytrile gloves if you do have to handle it makes a huge difference. So far I am liking how this is turning out.

Comment

• Awesome work Steve! She's really coming alive with the markings applied.
      Pat

Comment

• Really sharp! Thanks for your insight about the decals.

Comment

• Superb detailing job Steve... tx so much again for sharing your artwork... just let me ask that on one of the pics I see on.. maybe 6S batt. that you installed XT90 antispark connectors.. I do the same with all my 6S batt. cause hate sparking when connect them... must then to change the EC5 con. that comes with the A10 controllers too?...regards.

Comment

• Originally posted by ULTIMATETWO View Post
            Superb detailing job Steve... tx so much again for sharing your artwork... just let me ask that on one of the pics I see on.. maybe 6S batt. that you installed XT90 antispark connectors.. I do the same with all my 6S batt. cause hate sparking when connect them... must then to change the EC5 con. that comes with the A10 controllers too?...regards.
            Thank you UT. Yes, I have changed the connectors to XT90S as it is what I standardized on some time ago for my larger packs. I will be running separate packs (one per motor) on this bird and installing a Scorpion backup guard.

Comment

• Tx so much again for the info Steve..
              Best regards.
              Manolo.

Comment

• Wow, looking good.

Mike
                \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Regarding the water slide decals, I use a product called Solvaset that softens the backing allowing it to snuggle down over details. It will also allow direct contact between the decal and surface so you don't have the cloudy film look you sometimes get when there is air between the decal and surface. You will find it in the model railroad section of your LHS or you can buy it on line from Walthers.com

Make sure the decal is where you want it before you apply this product. Once it starts to work softening the decal you are limited as to how much you can move or adjust the decal.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                    Regarding the water slide decals, I use a product called Solvaset that softens the backing allowing it to snuggle down over details. It will also allow direct contact between the decal and surface so you don't have the cloudy film look you sometimes get when there is air between the decal and surface. You will find it in the model railroad section of your LHS or you can buy it on line from Walthers.com

Make sure the decal is where you want it before you apply this product. Once it starts to work softening the decal you are limited as to how much you can move or adjust the decal.

Jim
                    Thanks Jim. I have been using Model Masters decal setting solution with good results. I need to try the Solvaset.

I will be reporting more soon. Right now I an trying to sort out the wiring to permit easy access to my powder canon components and I need to make some improvements after my first crack at it.

Comment

• hey dude, loving your work so far..very inspiring. Now that youve been working on the cockpit, wonder if you could tell me if this figure might work in this plane? not sure how much room is in there
                      www.TSHobbies.com
                      Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Interesting website. Too bad they all look like really old men. Most of these pilots were just kids.
                        Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• It was a pleasure meeting you at Nall Steve. How is she coming? I want to see her in green!! I will be doing desert camo on mine when she arrives with the Termites from Operation Desert Storm. Going to do some weathering as well. The only mods I am planning is to order two more weapons packages and make triple ejector racks for the Mavericks out of the Sidewinder rails and the station 1 pylons.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20170518_143926.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	77267

Steve and Kelly (Legman01) right after the wing autographing at Nall!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
                            hey dude, loving your work so far..very inspiring. Now that youve been working on the cockpit, wonder if you could tell me if this figure might work in this plane? not sure how much room is in there
                            Let me get some dimensions off of mine to compare and get back to you but it looks like the 1/10 figure might work fine. They all look decidedly "British" and very real.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post
                              It was a pleasure meeting you at Nall Steve. How is she coming? I want to see her in green!! I will be doing desert camo on mine when she arrives with the Termites from Operation Desert Storm. Going to do some weathering as well. The only mods I am planning is to order two more weapons packages and make triple ejector racks for the Mavericks out of the Sidewinder rails and the station 1 pylons.

Name:	20170518_143926.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	77267

Steve and Kelly (Legman01) right after the wing autographing at Nall!!!
                              Hey Michael, that is a good picture. I love it! Thanks for sharing. It was good meeting you as well. I had a blast on the one day I was there. Meeting you and Kelly and some of the others from the forums, seeing you present the A-10 to him and then watching Kelly and Rich fly in formation really made it memorable. I came very close to doing the desert camo myself but in the end the Euro green won out. I am close to being done with it. Just trying to sort out the radio/electronics installations and then add some weathering and a clear coat and she is pretty much done. I too will be doing some ordnance mods later if all goes well. I look forward to seeing your Desert Storm paint up.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Let me get some dimensions off of mine to compare and get back to you but it looks like the 1/10 figure might work fine. They all look decidedly "British" and very real.
                                thankyou, I appreciate that. yes, I think with a little work they will look great. The painted samples on their site dont do them justice at all.
                                www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post

thankyou, I appreciate that. yes, I think with a little work they will look great. The painted samples on their site dont do them justice at all.
                                  Here are some size shots of mine against a ruler.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170523_130226.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.1 KB ID:	77299

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170523_130134.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	77300

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170523_130052.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.4 KB ID:	77301

If you cut some of the bottom of their seat off you could set it lower. Notice that my seat is not full depth.

Comment

• thankyou sir, looks like it'll fit just fine.
                                    www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• I've run into a little bit of a snag.The GT POWER gear door sequencer I got does not seem to be working like it should. I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. I will contact Motion tomorrow about it. In the mean time I went ahead and painted the hard points and detailed the inside of the ladder door.

Name:	14956822250421367335363.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	77524

Name:	1495682264408817298954.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	77525

I still need to paint the inside of the ladder box and of course build the ladder.

Notice this little detail? My DCC or Dedicated Crew Chief is a buddy I fly with at our local club named Randy Quarterman and the ACC or Air Combat Command I believe is our own George Baker or TIGRB who is another buddy I fly with in Tennessee. Of course I am the pilot.

Name:	14956830314451554233955.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	77526

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Notice this little detail? My DCC or Dedicated Crew Chief is a buddy I fly with at our local club named Randy Quarterman and the ACC or Air Combat Command I believe is our own George Baker or TIGRB who is another buddy I fly with in Tennessee. Of course I am the pilot.

Name:	14956830314451554233955.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	77526

I'm famous!

Steve, I have a Freewing door sequencer for a P-51 if you want to try making it work.

TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I also had bought the FW door sequencer a while back for another project. My understanding is that i believe its built into the plug board and not adjustable. I was going to bypass the door servo totally from that board and use the door sequencer straight into the receiver with a gear chl/aux mix.

Comment

Working...
                                          X