Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WC, did you get your answer above on the axle length?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
      WC, did you get your answer above on the axle length?
      Yepper.......thanx
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Awesomus Maximus ! This is great stuff !
        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
        Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
        I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

The last bit of exterior detail I had to complete before painting is now done. No ladder yet but the box and door are made as well as the vent covers just ahead of it. Paint goes on tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170516_230446.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	76059

Name:	20170516_230439.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	76060

Comment

How deep is your ladder pocket? Did it intrude into the interior space or just embedded in the foam. 3D printed box?

Comment

I made the side walls 14mm deep as my upper tube has a 10mm OD and then I will add a small section of styrene tube to secure the top of it inside the box. Also, the door has a plate on the inside of it which is 0.040" thick so I SWAG'ed 14mm deep. It is completely hand-made from 0.020" and 0.040" Styrene sheet. The only part of the interior it intruded into was a wire routing channel molded inside the fuse. I wish I had a 3D printer. The piano hinge I got from Micro Mark and the smallest one I could find. There are a couple tiny magnets I got off of ebay embedded in the corners of the door. There is only one magnet at this time in the upper right corner of the box to hold the door shut and it works pretty good.

Comment

That hand crafted styrene work is truly remarkable and the mark of a craftsman :Cool:
                Here's to hoping that your GAU-8 Avenger mod can be offered to the rest of us at an affordable cost.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The last bit of exterior detail I had to complete before painting is now done. No ladder yet but the box and door are made as well as the vent covers just ahead of it. Paint goes on tomorrow.
                  That's some crazy detail work on the ladder cabinet Steve, awesome craftsmanship!

TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Great work dude! and the sound system sounded great ..as well as the BRRT ,sounded better this time..did you change something? or is it because your in the basement?
                    www.TSHobbies.com
                    Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
                      Great work dude! and the sound system sounded great ..as well as the BRRT ,sounded better this time..did you change something? or is it because your in the basement?
                      I have been playing with the sound file trying to get more sound pressure out of it and reducing the duration of the pauses. Both TT-25 speakers are mounted in the belly of the plane so the sound projects down and may behave differently off the concrete floor as well. Sound is a tough thing to deal with.

Name:	20170514_163209.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	76098

Name:	20170514_165832.jpg
Views:	853
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	76099

Name:	20170514_170858.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	76100

Comment

Canopy/cockpit mods (next installment on post #76)

OK, Here is a little on what I did to modify the canopy to open add some more scale realism to the cockpit. The paint on the cockpit was quite thick on mine but none the less I wanted to cover it with styrene to eliminate any possibility of "gatoring". I also wanted the canopy to open and close on a servo and to have a semi-scale ejection seat that would hold the JHH 1/10th scale pilot I had ordered and painted up some time back. The first thing of course was to remove the canopy which really only required sliding a flat dull blade under the edge to lift it and worked my way around. Pretty straight forward. I used a metal spatula.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170504_213725.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	76166

Of course some of the paint lifted from the foam, especially where it was so thick up front. The original pilot is held in place with a screw and easily removed.

So I began cutting foam starting with removing the seat/floor...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170504_215441.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	76167

and then the deck aft of the seat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170504_220228.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	76168

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170504_220330.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	76169

And I just kept cutting...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170504_221102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	76170

To be continued....

Comment

Canopy/cockpit mods

OK, Here is a little on what I did to modify the canopy to open add some more scale realism to the cockpit. The paint on the cockpit was quite thick on mine but none the less I wanted to cover it with styrene to eliminate any possibility of "gatoring". I also wanted the canopy to open and close on a servo and to have a semi-scale ejection seat that would hold the JHH 1/10th scale pilot I had ordered and painted up some time back. The first thing of course was to remove the canopy which really only required sliding a flat dull blade under the edge to lift it and worked my way around. Pretty straight forward. I used a metal spatula.

Click image for larger version Name:	20170504_213725.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	76166

Of course some of the paint lifted from the foam, especially where it was so thick up front. The original pilot is held in place with a screw and easily removed.

So I began cutting foam starting with removing the seat/floor...

Click image for larger version Name:	20170504_215441.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	76167

and then the deck aft of the seat.

Click image for larger version Name:	20170504_220228.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.8 KB ID:	76168

Click image for larger version Name:	20170504_220330.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.5 KB ID:	76169

And I just kept cutting...

Click image for larger version Name:	20170504_221102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	76170

To be continued....
                          LOL, you should have been a surgeon with such clean cuts! Nice job. Or, maybe you are!

Comment

Ha! Good one T-CAT. No I am not a surgeon but I do claim to be a foam smith. I love working with foam. Got some paint on it this evening. Still not ready to un-mask it but it may be good enough to get legman01 to sign it at the Nall. The artificial light in my basement exaggerates the colors in the pics. Time for bed.

Name:	20170518_023143.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	76273

Name:	20170518_023216.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	76274

Comment

Sweet! Really enhances the A-10's lines

Comment

Looks great. Love your mods. I'm working on a tomcat right now too keep me busy until my preorder gets here. I just made the first group. My A10 will be in the Red Devils livery.

How are you going to lock down the front of the canopy?
                                Thanks
                                john

Comment

Beautiful work Steve... tx so much for sharing all these awesome superdetailing...want to use some of your superb ideas....
                                  Best regards.
                                  Manolo.

Comment

Looking sweet! Well done!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Looks really good Steve- love it. I would do the same livery too if I could believe gatoring wouldn't raise it's ugly head with the dark colours. It's impossible to always keep a model in shade and it seems to me 15 minutes in hot sun would cause irreparable damage- please tell me I'm wrong.
                                      Tom

Comment

Dude, slow down! You're doing in days what takes me months to do. Looking good. Plan to do the Euro 1 scheme myself. Have the 174th Boys from Syracuse scheme from Callie Graphics ordered. Grew up near Syracuse and used to love watching them fly by.

Comment

Great work! Could you please do a few of us a favor? We are very interested in changing the color of this plane and most of us have about 90% of the info to do a nice scheme. We're just missing something to tie all the painting technique together. We have the Home Depot latex paint, the decals from Callie's and even the Minwax (if it's correct version). Not sure of the "technique" though. Sand or not? primer or not? how do you handle the plastic pieces? correct masking tape? I'm wanting to do the 3 color tan version and have the 3 views too. Just want a little push to move a boring all gray plane to something I can call mine... thanks for taking the time to help us that are lost

Comment

Working...
                                          X