X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thomas W View Post
    Uummm, I run a Mazak laser at work and could cut a couple dozen nose gear plates out of our offall .062., .080, or .090 aluminum easily. I would need the dimensions though. Also, would it be better to have a tab of saaay .250 pointing down as a backer for the strut mount to rest against? I also run a brake while the lasers cutting. I dont have my A-10 yet so Im just going off what I see on here with the plate cracking and causing slop.
    If you make up some plates, I'm sure there are others who would be more than glad to pay for one, my nose gear has a lot of slop in it, so I would need one for sure. Also changed out my nose gear tire, the stock tire just looked to big to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

If you make up some plates, I'm sure there are others who would be more than glad to pay for one, my nose gear has a lot of slop in it, so I would need one for sure. Also changed out my nose gear tire, the stock tire just looked to big to me.
      That no doubt looks better to me :Cool:. I think Freewing created larger wheels simply for better non-pavement related operation.

Comment

• I thought they must have did that for the grass guys, I fly off asphalt so it shouldn't be a problem for me, to bad FW didn't include a smaller scale front tire or offer one for us asphalt flyers. I used a main wheel from the fw F-14, drilled some dimples in it and painted it white to match the rear, now it looks more scale, I know it's a small detail but that big tire was all I could look at on those locked down and dirty passes.

Note: You will have to shim it to keep it centered like the stock one was. Let me try it first guys and make sure it holds up or have any tracking issue, it has two small screws that hold it together pinching the tire in between the two rims, it's one of those two part rims, seems strong and very well made.
        Attached Files

Comment

+1 on the nose gear plates. Love the scale nose wheel mod as well, will definitely be changing to the F-14 wheel on mine!

Comment

I thought they must have did that for the grass guys, I fly off asphalt so it shouldn't be a problem for me, to bad FW didn't include a smaller scale front tire or offer one for us asphalt flyers. I used a main wheel from the fw F-14, drilled some dimples in it and painted it white to match the rear, now it looks more scale, I know it's a small detail but that big tire was all I could look at on those locked down and dirty passes.

Note: You will have to shim it to keep it centered like the stock one was. Let me try it first guys and make sure it holds up or have any tracking issue, it has two small screws that hold it together pinching the tire in between the two rims, it's one of those two part rims, seems strong and very well made.
            Nice mod. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

• As a "grass guy", had that plane come with little itty bitty tires, I would have immediately started looking for a larger, "off road" tire, just like what happened with the P-38. That's one of the major deficiencies of the FMS A-10. I'm so glad that Motion/Freewing/Flightline are developing new planes with grass in mind.

Comment

• asphalts really rough on the tires..especially after a skid, found an old Dubro low bounce wheel ,cut the center out of it,and fits just right on the nose... I'll have to check and see if I can do that with the mains as well...wondering if it might help reduce the bounce any on not so perfect landings? but will at least help to keep from having to replace the wheels every so often.
                www.TSHobbies.com
                Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• actually,just to correct myself, this was a Robart scale wheel tire....
                  www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                    As a "grass guy", had that plane come with little itty bitty tires, I would have immediately started looking for a larger, "off road" tire, just like what happened with the P-38. That's one of the major deficiencies of the FMS A-10. I'm so glad that Motion/Freewing/Flightline are developing new planes with grass in mind.
                    +1. Even the full- scale had rough surfaces in mind. Keep the grass field jets coming !
                    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thomas W View Post
                      Uummm, I run a Mazak laser at work and could cut a couple dozen nose gear plates out of our offall .062., .080, or .090 aluminum easily. I would need the dimensions though. Also, would it be better to have a tab of saaay .250 pointing down as a backer for the strut mount to rest against? I also run a brake while the lasers cutting. I dont have my A-10 yet so Im just going off what I see on here with the plate cracking and causing slop.
                      I'm down for one or two of those plates when the details get worked out. Maybe T.I. could help out with the dimensions. Thanks, Brad

Comment

• Pete's battery strap mod.

I had to stack my packs to achieve the proper CG.
                        This mod will work for both long rectangular packs
                        As well as the square brick packs I intend to use.

Just 3 easy steps.

1- Remove the stock front strap from its current location.
                        2- Feed it through the rear buckle from left to right
                        As seen in pic.
                        3- Hot glue the strap to itself being carefull not to
                        Burn yourself. Trim off excess. Use gloves or wrap your carrots in
                        Masking tape. I dident do either. You may want to
                        add a square of Velcro to the location the strap contacts the pack to insulate.

That's it. And its Free !

Comment

• I mentioned this on the main thread earlier but since this thread is all about mods, I thought I'd bring it up here too. Wondering if anybody has thought about replacing the main nonscale struts with normal struts with functional oleos. I know the stock ones were developed for heavy grass but they are too bouncy,which would be fine in taller grass,and not conducive to gear doors being that they are trailing link. With all the other mods aimed at improving scale appearance, just wondering if this has been looked at as a mod or an MRC option/upgrade. Only the strut would have to be replaced, not the retract mechanism. Any thoughts? Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                            I mentioned this on the main thread earlier but since this thread is all about mods, I thought I'd bring it up here too. Wondering if anybody has thought about replacing the main nonscale struts with normal struts with functional oleos. I know the stock ones were developed for heavy grass but they are too bouncy,which would be fine in taller grass,and not conducive to gear doors being that they are trailing link. With all the other mods aimed at improving scale appearance, just wondering if this has been looked at as a mod or an MRC option/upgrade. Only the strut would have to be replaced, not the retract mechanism. Any thoughts? Brad
                            I have a set of Oreos standing by to mod, the main issue is retract position. The retracts right now are set up for trailing links, and are aligned with the center part of the strut. For, Oreos, the retract has to be moved inboard to account for the strut offset. Still planning on doing it, but it makes things a bit more difficult. I definitely post when I get around to working on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                              I have a set of Oreos standing by to mod, the main issue is retract position. The retracts right now are set up for trailing links, and are aligned with the center part of the strut. For, Oreos, the retract has to be moved inboard to account for the strut offset. Still planning on doing it, but it makes things a bit more difficult. I definitely post when I get around to working on it.
                              Mmmmmmm Oreos! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Mmmmmmm Oreos! :)
                                Oh autocorrect, the gift that that never stops giving. Even when asked. Repeatedly... That said I'm hungry now.. :Silly:

Comment

Oh autocorrecf, the gift that that never stops giving. Even when asked. Repeatedly... That said I'm hungry now.. :Silly:
                                  lol, yeah, everyones worried about N Korea ,Russia etc starting WWIII , but it'll probably be auto correct that actually starts it
                                  www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• Wanted to update my tire mod, it works great so far, got several touch and goes with it. Don't know why but the stock A-10 axle fits a little loose through the F-14 main wheel hub but fits the A-10 stock tire really tight and they both are supposed to be 4.2 axle size, it's no big deal, I shimmed it up tight and it's working great, looks better to and it's rubber so I did notice it didn't skid like the stock foam tire kind of does when steering it for take off on asphalt.

Comment

Wanted to update my tire mod, it works great so far, got several touch and goes with it. Don't know why but the stock A-10 axle fits a little loose through the F-14 main wheel hub but fits the A-10 stock tire really tight and they both are supposed to be 4.2 axle size, it's no big deal, I shimmed it up tight and it's working great, looks better to and it's rubber so I did notice it didn't skid like the stock foam tire kind of does when steering it for take off on asphalt.
                                      Good to know. Thanks for the update!

Comment

Assuming an offset oleo, that's true. However I'm thinking of a non offset oleo strut like the P-40 for instance. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Assuming an offset oleo, that's true. However I'm thinking of a non offset oleo strut like the P-40 for instance. Brad
                                          The P-40 gear would still require a move of the retract, since it is currently set up for the offset TL strut. A straight, scale, non-offset strut requires the move inboard.

Comment

Working...
                                          X