Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who have developed and excessive amount of fore/aft play in the nose gear I have done this to mine. Similar to what TiredIron did but simpler, faster and provides a bit of cushioning. I simply slit a piece of fuel tubing and pinched it under the plate. It might not last many flights, but is easily replaced.

Comment

• Originally posted by afjetmech View Post
      For those who have developed and excessive amount of fore/aft play in the nose gear I have done this to mine. Similar to what TiredIron did but simpler, faster and provides a bit of cushioning. I simply slit a piece of fuel tubing and pinched it under the plate. It might not last many flights, but is easily replaced.
      Good idea. Keep us posted on how it holds up. I would like to know.

Comment

• I am building my 2nd A-10 (an ARF+) to have 90mm fans. I am using the 1550kV fans and 150A Cobra ESC's. I am going to experiment with 5S as well. So far I have the nacelles put together and the main components of the plane assembled. I need to pick up a BEC as that does not come with the ARF+ kit. I am trying to keep this one as stock as possible outside of the fans and my custom exhaust nozzles. I may do more cosmetic filling and sanding to warrent a two tone gray re-paint as a base for the Black Snakes livery and some weathering and I do plan to styrene sheet the cockpit but other that I don't plan to do much of anything else. T-CAT, I hope you are able to score another fan so we can compare notes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170626_203916.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	83234

Name:	20170626_203944.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	83235

Name:	20170627_001634.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	83236

Name:	20170627_001846.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	83237

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          I am building my 2nd A-10 (an ARF+) to have 90mm fans. I am using the 1550kV fans and 150A Cobra ESC's. I am going to experiment with 5S as well. So far I have the nacelles put together and the main components of the plane assembled. I need to pick up a BEC as that does not come with the ARF+ kit. I am trying to keep this one as stock as possible outside of the fans and my custom exhaust nozzles. I may do more cosmetic filling and sanding to warrent a two tone gray re-paint as a base for the Black Snakes livery and some weathering and I do plan to styrene sheet the cockpit but other that I don't plan to do much of anything else. T-CAT, I hope you are able to score another fan so we can compare notes.

Name:	20170626_203916.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	83234

Name:	20170626_203944.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	83235

Name:	20170627_001634.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	83236

Name:	20170627_001846.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	83237
          I'm working on it bud :Cool:. We'll definitely compare as soon as I get another EDF to make the pair. The modified tailcones really set it off! Looks amazing! The tailcones on the 90mm nacelles are the only things I find unappealing about the set-up, so your mod cures that completely. I also personally like the look of the 12-blade fans (I have the 80mm 12-blade inrunner FW systems on my A-10 now) in comparison to the 9-blade. Oddly enough, I even like the silver (can even be painted easily) spinner in comparison to the stock black spinner on the fan unit. I know the spinner should be round and not pointed to be more scale, but I personally don't mind it a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

I'm working on it bud :Cool:. We'll definitely compare as soon as I get another EDF to make the pair. The modified tailcones really set it off! Looks amazing! The tailcones on the 90mm nacelles are the only things I find unappealing about the set-up, so your mod cures that completely. I also personally like the look of the 12-blade fans (I have the 80mm 12-blade inrunner FW systems on my A-10 now) in comparison to the 9-blade. Oddly enough, I even like the silver (can even be painted easily) spinner in comparison to the stock black spinner on the fan unit. I know the spinner should be round and not pointed to be more scale, but I personally don't mind it a bit.
            I don't think the tail cones will interfere much with the air flow so it should still work fine. I just used two Krylon paint can caps and some fairly stout CF flat bar stock about 1/8" x 1/16" to support them inside the fan outlet ring which I cut down. I think I can live with the spinner as well. It definitely looks better.

Comment

• I must say, this is the cheapest mode, but it does dress up the plane alot.

I used a shish kebab skewer sanded down and just pushed in on the foam lightly. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2017-06-27-05-49-02.png Views:	1 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	83256Click image for larger version  Name:	20170624_143544.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	83257
              BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Looking good, t33jetman.

Seeing all those rivets reminds me of a conversation I had with Xplaneguy late one night. I was trying to decide if it would be worth taking another week to draw the rivets, depressions, round heads, etc on this A-10. Ultimately we agreed, for a variety of reasons, to omit them. We're all modelers after all, right? A shish kebab skewer, for those who wanted that look, saved lots of hours of redrawing and avoided potential issues with mold resolution surface smoothness.

As I'm fond of saying, All is a Balance.

Your A-10s are all looking fantastic, guys. Vduniec, good call on the blue training rounds and captive AGM-65. Keep posting photos, tips, tricks, Ins and Outs. 'Looks like this model is well on its way into our hall of fame over here.
                Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks for the thumb up.
                  The rivets to put on only took two hours ,with the radio on for some music. I didn't try to be perfect, just get them on fast so I could put the primer on.
                  BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• So after 8 flights on the A10 my son who is an excellent pilot landed on grass with flaps (just as he has done on the other 7 flights. This time the plane decided it wasn't ready to land. On the third bounce the nose gear found a hole and the plane stopped on top of the nose section. New fus will be here Wednesday. I'm going to use the broken fus as a test bed to try different rivets and weathering. I'm also going to do the nose gear mod to get rid of the slop. I'm going to try carbon fiber and see how it does. I know there are s lot of great pilots on here but just an FYI watch the bounce.

Comment

• As for the rivets, I've seen posts where the person use a dowel sanded down to 5mm. I did this and tried it on the plane and they just looked big to me. I'm all about scale, I'm I being over critical. What size rivets are you guys doing on your A10's?

Comment

• FYI for those wanting to strengthen the nose area with CF in the side groves. It's actually 6mm vs the 5mm previously mentioned. I used square CF tube secured with Foam-tac. I put 17" worth on each side. Don't go overboard with the Foam-tac. No real noticable weight gain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                          FYI for those wanting to strengthen the nose area with CF in the side groves. It's actually 6mm vs the 5mm previously mentioned. I used square CF tube secured with Foam-tac. I put 17" worth on each side. Don't go overboard with the Foam-tac. No real noticable weight gain.
                          The slots may accept 6mm but I just used what I had which was 5mm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronniehinesh View Post
                            As for the rivets, I've seen posts where the person use a dowel sanded down to 5mm. I did this and tried it on the plane and they just looked big to me. I'm all about scale, I'm I being over critical. What size rivets are you guys doing on your A10's?
                            Mine were more like 1-2mm...

Comment

• I may have missed it if it was discussed earlier, but ha anyone found a close match for the gray paint used on this plane. I would like to remove some of the injection marks and will need to do some touch up painting.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                FYI for those wanting to strengthen the nose area with CF in the side groves. It's actually 6mm vs the 5mm previously mentioned. I used square CF tube secured with Foam-tac. I put 17" worth on each side. Don't go overboard with the Foam-tac. No real noticable weight gain.
                                TJ......did you get that CF locally??
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                                  I may have missed it if it was discussed earlier, but ha anyone found a close match for the gray paint used on this plane. I would like to remove some of the injection marks and will need to do some touch up painting.

Jim
                                  I haven't seen anything. I am going to go do a color match at Lowes but would prefer a bit more contrast between the two grays. They are so close together it is difficult to distinguish them.

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                                    I may have missed it if it was discussed earlier, but ha anyone found a close match for the gray paint used on this plane. I would like to remove some of the injection marks and will need to do some touch up painting.

Jim
                                    I've used Tamiya XF 19 Sky gray. It's a very close match. Painted all my servos.
                                    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
                                      I've used Tamiya XF 19 Sky gray. It's a very close match. Painted all my servos.
                                      Lon, did you just paint it all one color or it this a touch up for one of the colors?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lon View Post
                                        Me too! :)
                                        Also clearcoated the whole thing in satin spray. Looking much better now :Cool:
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

TJ......did you get that CF locally??
                                          WBC.... Wish I could have found it locally. Here's where I got mine. Godd and strong, real light too. Comes shipped in a very sturdy tube witha hundred potential uses;).
                                          Carbon Fiber Pultruded Square Tube 6mm x 6mm OD 5mm ID x 1.2 meters in length. This carbon fiber tube uses high strength unidirectional T-700 equivalent fiber with an epoxy resin system to ensure a strong rigid tube that will meet your needs. | eBay!

Comment

Working...
                                          X