Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number 7 ready for paint. I'm back to making these for my Green Knights now that the Blue Angel is done. Only 5 to go. :Silly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209_221338.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	107974

Comment

• Hey guys a couple questions, I thought i would do something different and do a different scheme on my A-4. Never fooled with painting foamies before, i notice several have done different schemes and weathering. My question is if i lightly sand the stock paint can i just airbrush over it? Also what are most using to do that, acrylic craft paints or? what would be ok over stock paint? Also once done and graphics on do most spray airframe with a protective finish ect?

Thanks for the help

Comment

• Hey Westcoloflyer, welcome to Hobby Squawk! I airbrush directly over the factory paint/decals. I don't sand. The factory paint makes a great primer (it's different stuff than the average hobbyist has access to). Tamiya, Testors, and Ammo-by-Mig are my favorite hobby paints to airbrush. Directly over the foam without any prep. Acrylic matte sealer helps, but isn't necessary in my experience. If you're applying vinyl decals, though, I would recommend two coats of Minwax Polycrylic or Varathane. Matte is my preference, but the UV Varathane seems to only come in satin or gloss. There's a discussion thread about sealers... search in the main window's search bar for "Varathane".
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I'll Start
          You can absolutely paint over the Stock Finish .
          Home Depot "Samples" , can color match anything. about 4 bucks a jar for premium "flat" or Gloss.

So.... I have been researching this too. I have some refinishing experience but there are some truly gifted modelers here. Chris from RC Geek comes to mind. I believe he clear coats " Gloss" B4 Burnt Umber Washes then Flat coats.
          Polly Acrylic come to mind as a clear and it comes in Matte and Gloss. The Matte is still not as flat as I would like, So I am going to give the Krylon Flat clear a try.
          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• I'm with Alpha... I usually do wipe the plane down with some denatured alcohol just to remove any finger prints prior to painting but I have used house paint samples, Model Masters acrylics or enamels, Tamiya rattle cans, Rustoleum and Krylon. Depending on the finish I may give it a light spray of Acrylic Matte to dull the sheen on the graphics or the paint if I want it to have a flat finish. I have used foam brushes, paint brushes and air-brushes. Minwax Polycrylic clear goes on easy even with a foam brush and smooths out well. It is not nearly as offensive smelling as other paints, even the aerosol version but you have to be more careful about runs. Just be careful with some aerosols if you apply them too heavy they may attack any paint you previously applied and wrinkle it up. The Polycrylic, being water based does not seem to do that at all but Krylon Colormaster Crystal Clear Acrylic Flat could. Just remember, thin coats. I tend to use yellow Frog Tape to mask if needed.

Comment

• Thanks for the idea's, that should get me started!!

Comment

• This one ..? Click image for larger version

Name:	A-4M_Aggr-Camo-01.gif
Views:	433
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	108649

Comment

• or this one?? Click image for larger version

Name:	A-4F_VF-127-Camo-01.gif
Views:	1063
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	108652

Comment

• or this one ??? Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue hawk.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	108654

Comment

• Maybe this one?? Click image for larger version

Name:	A-4F_SIOP-Camo-01.gif
Views:	805
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	108656 LOL way too many cool scooters...

Comment

• Welcome to the Squawk gbruce. I have your answer.... you need one of each. :) They are all good and since it is so hard to have to choose.... well, just do them all. I have two.

Comment

• Thanks Steve.

Been away from R/C for a while but this A4 got me Hooked ..perfect size!!

I have an enlarged technical drawing of an A4 that i've had stashed away for about 20 years..you know " Back burner" stuff...I just pulled it down from the attic and guess what...it had a 36" wingspan..the FW A4 has a 37" W/S.

Amazing coincidence :)

Yes I may have 2 or 3 of these in my future.

Comment

• BUMMED the A-4 is out of Stock! Almost tempted by-F14,.... one is in my future! maybe 2.. I do miss my A-4 desperately!
                            Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by gbruce View Post
                              or this one ??? Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue hawk.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	108654
                              This is the one I'm doing, Callie shipping the graphics today for it :)

Comment

• It's a looker for sure. Can't wait to see it!

Comment

• These just came in from Callie

Comment

• Nice decals! I like the Alpha Delta scheme.

I'm currently at 47 flights on the A-4. Next trip out I expect to hit 50! If she makes100 flights I will take her down for a complete repaint and refurb. Thinking about a Training Wing 1 scheme.

The little A-4 is just a reliable performer. It goes to the field with me every time and gets at least one flight. The guys alway stop to watch her fly.
                                    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by gbruce View Post
                                      or this one?? Click image for larger version

Name:	A-4F_VF-127-Camo-01.gif
Views:	1063
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	108652
                                      I did that paint scheme. It was little bit of work freehand and overlapping the paints

Comment

• how about some pics? :)

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                          Nice decals! I like the Alpha Delta scheme.

I'm currently at 47 flights on the A-4. Next trip out I expect to hit 50! If she makes100 flights I will take her down for a complete repaint and refurb. Thinking about a Training Wing 1 scheme.

The little A-4 is just a reliable performer. It goes to the field with me every time and gets at least one flight. The guys alway stop to watch her fly.
                                          Can't wait to see that A-4 in TRAWING 1 colors! Seems appropriate for a guy flying in Meridian. Maybe after 100 flights, you could go with "100" vice 700.:)

Comment

Working...
                                          X