Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took some pictures of what I did along the way to give a basic idea of how it was done. I removed some additional foam and a small section of plastic from the LG mount and cut a pocket in the foam then glued the servo in place with Foam Tac.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_112210.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	102356

Then I had to extend the back of the door opening about 5/16" so I re-cut the opening and glued the piece to the back of the door. This gave the necessary clearance for the servo arm and pushrod. I use a piece of a spare wire puller that came in one of my recent kits for the rod and a piece of 1/8" styrene tube glued to the door for the door pivot. For a better understanding of what I did to install the pushrods check out the video on post #78

Name:	20171028_112228.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	102357

Once I got the pushrod the right shape and length so the rear door closed and opened properly I cut the forward blister off the wing with one of those utility knives that has the long blade you snap off to keep it sharp. It makes for nice clean cuts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171028_124755.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	102185

Next, I removed foam from the blister area to fit the other servo and did the same thing with a pushrod and 1/8" styrene tube glued to the door. The wires pass next to the wing connector board through a slot I Dremeled in the wood bracket that the board screws to. They will plug into a 1 to 4 connector harness I made special for the door servos. One thing to note, the GT POWER Sequencing Module cycles the doors upon power up. What this means is that you must remember to retract the gear before disconnecting the battery so when it does it on the next power up the doors won't bind on the wheel struts. Maybe a minor thing but I know I am going to want to display this beauty with the gear down and I can't imagine having to leave a battery in it the whole time. I may try to investigate other sequencers to see if I can find one that won't do that. Anybody know of one?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171028_130037.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	102186

The push rods in place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171029_085103.jpg Views:	1 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	102209

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171029_085112.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	102210

Comment

Steve,

That is extremely awesome work! She's coming along nicely!
      Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        Steve,

That is extremely awesome work! She's coming along nicely!
        Thanks again Pat. I hope to be able to complete the other side later today.

Comment

Ok, the gear doors are done. After having established the first side it formed a pattern for doing the second side which took a fraction of the time to do the first.

Name:	20171029_195336.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	102283

Here is the video of all the gear and doors functioning together. I am so happy to be past this point. The rest of the build should be fairly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
            Ok, the gear doors are done. After having established the first side it formed a pattern for doing the second side which took a fraction of the time to do the first.

Here is the video of all the gear and doors functioning together. I am so happy to be past this point. The rest of the build should be fairly easy.

Slick...as to be expected ;)
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Looks great. Will you be doing an overview of the light install? Can't wait to see this thing finished.

Comment

Yes. I want the lights on it but in looking at video of them flying they didn't appear to use them during a performance. I will set them to operate off a switch.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Slick...as to be expected ;)
                  AGREE'd................:Cool:
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

This is fantastic work.
                    Which radio are you running? Might be able to program straight off the box.

Comment

Thank you sir! I am using a DX9..I hadn't thought of the possibility of trying to sequence the doors off the radio. I need to look into that...

Comment

OUTSTANDING !!!!!

Wish Freewing would do this to more of their jets. I'd gladly pay extra for that.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Steve, the quality of your work is one thing (outstanding) but the freakin' speed at which you do it is what really blows me away! I'm working on my A-10 cockpit re-work and opening canopy and at the rate I'm going it'll be Xmas.
                          Wait, I'm older than you, that must explain it...:Confused:
                          Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom...sometimes I feel pretty old.:)

Comment

Wow Steve, time to put out some mod kits my friend, that absolutely rocks!!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks Dan. A huge shout out to Vic, Ace Mig Killer for reminding me of the Sequencing functionality in my radio. I reworked the gear and doors tonight to eliminate the GT POWER sequencing module which was inconsistent for my application and caused the gear doors to cycle when the battery was plugged in which is not good on the doors and servos. Now the doors are more consistent and the battery plug in problem is gone. Thanks again Vic! From the outside it doesn't really look any different than a few posts ago but here is a new video showing the doors working off the sequencer in my DX9.

Comment

Very cool! Yeah I'm on the road for a few days and was going to explain it, but looks like you got it handled.

Comment

Originally posted by AceMigKiller View Post
                                    Very cool! Yeah I'm on the road for a few days and was going to explain it, but looks like you got it handled.
                                    Thanks you soooo much! It is much simpler just going through the radio. Gotta love Youtube tutorials. ;) I had a basic understanding of how it worked but the video I watch was very helpful and then I just played around until I figured it out. In the end, not that difficult to set up at all. :Cool:

Comment

.......waiting patiently for lights, paint, smoke?

Comment

Starting on the lights as I type....

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Thanks you soooo much! It is much simpler just going through the radio. Gotta love Youtube tutorials. ;) I had a basic understanding of how it worked but the video I watch was very helpful and then I just played around until I figured it out. In the end, not that difficult to set up at all. :Cool:
                                          Okay Steve, what tutorial did you watch, can you send a link? I'd like to see that one myself.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X