Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the weathering ,, great pics davegee.. just right.. wings may b in the freezer 4 next xmas... lol coming along nicely lb

Comment

• Elbee
      Elbee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hilarious, but you could be right.

• Hugh Wiedman davegee f4u ausie I thank you, gentlemen, one and all. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Hey All, one last thing, I designed a smaller prop hub that to my eye matches the cowl profile a little better. The OEM prop barrel halves are over-sized for strength I am sure. Those I painted these semi-gloss black similar to my photo. I also painted the electric motor housing to match the faux P&W R-2800. I really like the Callie Graphics Hamilton Standard decals, though I will knock down the shine when I balance the prop. Should all come together soon. More when there is more. Best, LB
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
        Took the 'ol Corsair out for a few flights this morning. Beautiful, almost calm weather. I would concur with Nuts-n-Volt's comments on flying this aircraft in a previous notice above. Rudder is a key, BIG rudder sometimes, and NOW, when required. I have also found that my changing out the stock main tires for the 3.5" Robarts helps in ground tracking and "sticking" it on the ground on the mains when landing. Definitely bring it in with some power to touchdown, to be sure. Two-point, tail low, works for me and realism for the real plane.

My plane commemorates one flown by one of the great American aces of WWII, Capt, Robert "Killer Bob" Hanson, USMCR, MOH (posthumously). He was the top scorer in the Corsair aircraft (25 kills) before he himself was killed on a fighter sweep in the Solomon islands a couple of days before he was to be rotated home for R&R, and just after his 23rd birthday. RIP, Bob.

Today is the 77th anniversary of VJ (Victory over Japan) Day celebrated on the 14th in the west, but on the 15th in Asia (time zone difference.)

Cheers

davegee

Click image for larger version

Name:	th537OOX8B.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	352767Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0083.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	352768Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0082.jpgadjsuted.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	352769

Marvelous work davegee on your repaint. While FlightLine has - IMO - the most scale foam Corsair in the hobby, work like yours really just makes the model museum-worthy. And yes Elbee I'm looking at you too, sir. Bravo Zulu!

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Elbee
          Elbee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Bro. but davegee 's Corsair is a pretty thing for sure. Nice to see so many doing great work and beautiful repaints. Best, LB

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

Marvelous work davegee on your repaint. While FlightLine has - IMO - the most scale foam Corsair in the hobby, work like yours really just makes the model museum-worthy. And yes Elbee I'm looking at you too, sir. Bravo Zulu!
        Thanks, Aros. along the lines of your large Corsair, not sure if it was the same ESM kit or not, but I built two Legend 93 inch wingspan Corsairs for museum work. One was based on this model, Bob Hanson's Corsair that hangs in the Naval Aviation Museum of Flight in Pensacola, and another one I did for a museum in Colorado. a Corsair that was flown by Hanson's commanding officer, Maj. Robert "Big O" Owens. I got to meet his great family, but Bob (Owens) had passed away a few years earlier, unfortunately, in Boulder, CO where they lived.

Regarding detailing one of these large ESM kits to be a museum piece, I'll attach a link that has pictures and story about doing that. for those interested in such detail. See link below, if you're interested in looking at it. The same efforts were made on the other ESM kit that is in Pensacola.

https://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_we...-gianakos.html

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Thanks Dave, that's the article I first found out about you and your wonderful job and dedication to Bob Owens. Such a beautiful job!
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
            Thanks Dave, that's the article I first found out about you and your wonderful job and dedication to Bob Owens. Such a beautiful job!
            You bet. I figured you had seen it before, but that was back in 2013! I also posted it for any scale modelers who might get something out of it for their projects.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Dudes and Dudettes, Quick update, fitted the empennage control rods and links. Refitted the Freewing electric motor, and had to dry fit the faux P&W, Cowl ring, Prop assembly, and 3DP prop hub. I like it a lot. She's beginning to look like a real Warbird. Figure I will glue the faux P&W to the cowl similarly to OEM with black E-6000 and use external fasteners for the cowl to fuselage. Something discreet...we'll see. More when there is more. Best, LB

~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Looks fabulous Elbee !
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Elbee
                  Elbee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thank you, good sir. Best, LB

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                Dudes and Dudettes, Quick update, fitted the empennage control rods and links. Refitted the Freewing electric motor, and had to dry fit the faux P&W, Cowl ring, Prop assembly, and 3DP prop hub. I like it a lot. She's beginning to look like a real Warbird. Figure I will glue the faux P&W to the cowl similarly to OEM with black E-6000 and use external fasteners for the cowl to fuselage. Something discreet...we'll see. More when there is more. Best, LB
                I like your work on the soft demarcation of the various camo paints on the fuse. Looks very believable to how a painter at the factory would have used their paint sprayers and compressors back in the day. Colors selected look great!

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I like your work on the soft demarcation of the various camo paints on the fuse. Looks very believable to how a painter at the factory would have used their paint sprayers and compressors back in the day. Colors selected look great!

davegee
                  DG, that was all your doing, Dave.
                  The soft-edge technique brought to you by 3M and passed along as a tip by you. sir.

I only had to respray one line at the tail, but it's all a learning curve.

Best, LB
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

DG, that was all your doing, Dave.
                    The soft-edge technique brought to you by 3M and passed along as a tip by .

I only had to respray one line at the tail, but it's all a learning curve.

Best, LB
                    You have done WELL, grasshopper!

best,

davegee

Comment

• Nice work, Elbee. I like how you color matched the control rod and lingage with the fuselage. And the checkers, cowl flaps and spinner with the faux engine looks really great.

Comment

• I hope someone can help me out with this. I picked up and old HSD A1 Sky Raider and the HSD gear aren’t working. I spent a lot of time getting everything to work correctly and only one retract partially moves and the other is dead in the water. I want to replace them and was wondering if the gear for this plane would be a good fit. Some have used the FMS P-40 gear, but those aren’t available.

I hate to ask, but can’t find the information on the internet. Could someone please provide me with the measurements of the mounting plate front and back, along with the length of the gear strut to the wheel hub and the diameter of the pin the strut goes into? I’m fine with using the complete assembly but just put new wheels on the existing struts and can use them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jpmcdo View Post
                          I hope someone can help me out with this. I picked up and old HSD A1 Sky Raider and the HSD gear aren’t working. I spent a lot of time getting everything to work correctly and only one retract partially moves and the other is dead in the water. I want to replace them and was wondering if the gear for this plane would be a good fit. Some have used the FMS P-40 gear, but those aren’t available.

I hate to ask, but can’t find the information on the internet. Could someone please provide me with the measurements of the mounting plate front and back, along with the length of the gear strut to the wheel hub and the diameter of the pin the strut goes into? I’m fine with using the complete assembly but just put new wheels on the existing struts and can use them.
                          Full strut lenght is 135 mm plate width close to 28 mm.. hole to hole.. back to front screw holes is25 mm as measured by me.. thats scary .. from memory retract pins r 4mm ,,, could b 5... hope that helps and better than me chimes in.... now been watching f4u stuff again,,, come across this pik..,, new to me the squark team mayb able to help... flying off uss intrepid,, what looks like radar dome on rh wing,,, a few f4u s.. have not seen it b4

Comment

• Yes, radar. There was a episode of Black Sheep that even had one where they put it on Pappys F4U.

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post

Full strut lenght is 135 mm plate width close to 28 mm.. hole to hole.. back to front screw holes is25 mm as measured by me.. thats scary .. from memory retract pins r 4mm ,,, could b 5... hope that helps and better than me chimes in.... now been watching f4u stuff again,,, come across this pik..,, new to me the squark team mayb able to help... flying off uss intrepid,, what looks like radar dome on rh wing,,, a few f4u s.. have not seen it b4
                              Thank you very much

Comment

• Hi Ya'll, been busy, but managed to start pilot recruitment (printing). This figure is detailed and prints well with a .25 mm nozzle. Scaling all parts to fit and create someone who still looks like he belongs in the cockpit is the time monster. Too big? Too small? Just fine? Input is welcome here.

The files come as head(s), body full, body plus separate legs, and arms-pilot, arms-gunner. It is kinda fun fitting each of the modified parts as those become one whole figure. There will be post-print processing, prime, fill, sand, painting and weathering, but that's like any other after-market pilot. More when there is more. Best, LB
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Hi Ya'll, been busy, but managed to start pilot recruitment (printing). This figure is detailed and prints well with a .25 mm nozzle. Scaling all parts to fit and create someone who still looks like he belongs in the cockpit is the time monster. Too big? Too small? Just fine? Input is welcome here.

The files come as head(s), body full, body plus separate legs, and arms-pilot, arms-gunner. It is kinda fun fitting each of the modified parts as those become one whole figure. There will be post-print processing, prime, fill, sand, painting and weathering, but that's like any other after-market pilot. More when there is more. Best, LB
                                  To quote Goldilocks when finally tasting Baby Bears Porridge, "Ohh Nice, This ones Just Right"! Or something like that. Looks to be the perfect scale, but coming from me (who put a behemoth in his Corsair), that may not be the best counsel!
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Elbee
                                    Elbee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Clint Walker as I remember, and he looks great. Hey, it coulda happened. Best, LB

• Clint Walker as I remember, and he looks great. Hey, it coulda happened. Best, LB

That's Him! His legs are so long they reach through the bottom of the fuselage and instead of needing hydraulic brakes, he just digs his boots in, ala Fred Flintstone! When his head moves, there's an imbalance to that side and the aircraft heels over in the direction he's looking!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_152438.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	355767Click image for larger version

Name:	20190327_104435.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	355768
                                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Working...
                                  X