Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial fitted the LG, i think this looks quite good... I calculated the lenght of the oleo, and will probably leave it this way... opinions? Wheels are 90 mm...

Click image for larger version

Name:	84716358_139673733797846_6540475261769482240_n.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	235510Click image for larger version

Name:	85054168_185936945985475_1954899831298195456_n.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	235511

Comment

• Originally posted by didier n View Post
      Trial fitted the LG, i think this looks quite good... I calculated the lenght of the oleo, and will probably leave it this way... opinions? Wheels are 90 mm...
      Looks good to me, more so than the stock units it comes with. My runway appears smooth, but the geotex hides thousands of potholes under its stretchy covering. The functioning struts help. I got a couple flights in the other day. This is a low alt drop. I'm about ready to put a camera in the cargo box, but after the first attempt landed in the water, I've been a little cautious.

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
        a few pics...
        Hi,
        your pics are very impressive, thanks a lot! Can you give me any advice, regarding your outer wing pylons?
        How did you attach those, did you scratch off the foil/cover?

Thanks,
        Axel

Comment

• Originally posted by Axelowski View Post

Hi,
          your pics are very impressive, thanks a lot! Can you give me any advice, regarding your outer wing pylons?
          How did you attach those, did you scratch off the foil/cover?

Thanks,
          Axel
          Thank you, here's some info on the AIM9 launchers... I measured the curve of the bottom wing, assembled them from the stock in the photos (foam core with tapered leading and training edges), when finished I covered each of them with some thin card stock, painted, and glued them directly to the wing using Foam Tac. It holds very well and can also be removed if necessary for repairs. I don't have any rockets in the launchers yet. Working on that.

Comment

• Great, I‘m going to try it as well.

May be I‘m going with zuni rockets attached to the launchers.

Axel

Comment

• Finally got the plane on it's feet to get the complete "look" I think it's almost spot on... Still need to add the springs in the oleo's, so it will sit a little bit higher, but not too much i hope...

Click image for larger version  Name:	86296861_573019646585352_6842856752002629632_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	236636

Name:	86192771_629003647876432_8971571066501595136_n.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	236643
              Didier
              Attached Files

Comment

Finally got the plane on it's feet to get the complete "look" I think it's almost spot on... Still need to add the springs in the oleo's, so it will sit a little bit higher, but not too much i hope...

Didier
                I had originally thought the in box struts were way too stiff. Watching the slow video of what I thought were fairly smooth landings, I was surprised to see the suspension working so much. Your gear looks nicer. I'm curious to see how they perform for you.

Comment

• That is something i noticed as well, they seem stiff but do work... Maybe a bit less would be even better... i'll see what i can come up with.. First need to finish the plane, finding the correct springs can only be done when it's fully loaded and finished.. still a lot to do...

Comment

• 02-16-2020 Cross winds 8-12mph, hard busty wind conditions. Dual 5s 35s 5200mAh LiPo 15x7 PJN XOAR Props, 590Kv Motors. The low rates as prescribed in the manual did NOT work for me in gusty winds. I had to quickly flip to full 20mm Travel rates to rotate off the run way....I flipped immediately back to low 12mm rates after take off.....rudder was not there to help turn in the gusty winds...flipped back to 20mm high rates and finished the maiden. 5minutes 60% throttle landing at 3.93v per cell. The 5s power package has loads of power and...nice sounds on the prop. I had lots of tail waggle perhaps due to low speeds at first. Landing was a breeze. Made two more flights each better than the former. Super cool bird....I like it so far. It's a beast...vertical climb went further than I wanted to go....it is fast on this set up...I never did get to 100% throttle....at 70% throttle it eats up airspace quickly.....did I mention lots of power.....ohh maah gosh.

Randy Mayhew video'd this flight, Mike Roznick was snapping the stills:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Ex...LRk_Ayeu-_Nk6E

TwistedGrin
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Great job! Nice landing! I'm surprised this model isn't in higher demand.

Comment

• I think once these video's and comments of our experiences spread....it will get more popular. This is somewhat of an oddball aircraft... not particularly sleek, but it's service history is impressive and long. I always liked it when I was very young...I am glad I waited to snag one though....your build log and video provided me the answers I was laboring about how I could manage it......it is a true beast and very fun to fly !!

TwistedGrin

Comment

• I have to agree with this being an oddball aircraft. I think it's one that you just have to love to get one. I have always liked it and have this one and a smaller Rich Uravitch model. They both fly great but the bigger one definitely flies and looks better. I also think that many who would buy it are turned off by the price and what it takes to complete it. If a foam version came out it might sell very well. But those of us that have built this version, it's nice to have the only one at the field. It always gets oohs and ahhs when I fly it. Now if someone will put out an OV1 Mohawk.

Comment

• Its a shame u can't get it in Australia :(

Comment

• You have to remember that this one is not at PNP foam ARF. There's a financial considerations in play here. Many just won't drop the kinda money needed to get a plane like this finished. They figure they could get 2 or 3 ARF's for the same money
                              I don't look at it that way.
                              Mike .
                              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Finally got the plane on it's feet to get the complete "look" I think it's almost spot on... Still need to add the springs in the oleo's, so it will sit a little bit higher, but not too much i hope...

Click image for larger version Name:	86296861_573019646585352_6842856752002629632_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	236636

Name:	86192771_629003647876432_8971571066501595136_n.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	236643
                                Didier
                                Absolutely love the look of the this one didier n, Excited to see the finished product

Comment

• Thanks James, still a lot of work to do, i'll finish it in the Val 4 black ponies livery, i like the uniform grey sceme.. Also planning on adding rivets on the fuselage, so not ready yet

Comment

• Hey Didier,
                                    nice job!!! Your grey finish is going to look fantastic. I am hesitating to paint the OV grey because of the panel lines...
                                    How did you paint it? Did you sand the foil or did you just paint/brush it over?

Greetz,
                                    Axel

Comment

• Hi Axel,

Thx for the compliments, the grey is not the final color, it's just a primer but does look good indeed.... I used spray cans from Motip automotive, and just sprayed over the foil... I will put rivets on the fuselage, and draw the lines back on the wings, since there are no raised rivets on the wing... Hope it comes out ok....

grtz,

Didier

Comment

• In the meantime i've been working on the steering for the nose wheel, didn't like the original method used in the kit, so i came up with this... a servo arm with a bearing inside should work better i think...time will tell...

Name:	87279589_334452830815051_7764111508824391680_n.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	238357

Didier

Comment

• didier n Nice modification, let us know how it works! Nice retracts, too... they're pricey but very dependable.
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X