Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
    Nice struts, Brandon!

FLTRI, you're coming to Apollo this weekend, right?
    Agreed, those struts look very nice!

No Alpha, I'm not going to be able to make it, life got in the way. I'll be there in spirit, and can't wait to see pictures and videos...
    I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
    ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

• Orientation Issues...

Is anyone else having them, when flying? As the airframe is so symmetrical, I noticed I was having orientation issues on my second fight, especially when the plane was a distance from me. It just becomes a silver blob, and I was having trouble telling up, from down. I actually cut the flight short, because of this. Obviously, this could end very poorly. Has anyone else noticed this, especially if they have Pacific Silver?

I had the same issue with my 1030 Roc Hobby Staggerwing. Only it was a red blob, instead of silver. I ended up painting the top 2" or so of the wingtips a light dove gray,and that helped a lot. I'm thinking of doing invasion stripes like Brandon did, and painting the top tips of the wingtips red, to match the rudders. The wing tips are easy to do but I doubt I have the skill required to do the strips as nicely as Brandon did.

I've never used Callie Graphics, but have heard nothing but good things. Do you guys think she could/would do invasion stripes only for the P-38? Are they "pliable" enough to get them to stretch around the radiators on the boom? I'd only do the tops of the wings, for orientation purposes.

Yes, I know it's probably not exactly period correct, but neither is a pile of broken foam...
      I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post

I bet you say that to all the boys with a nice p38!!! ;)

Awesome as usual Brandon. LOVE the stripes. I want one lol.
        Hey Shirty (and Motion RC team). What's the status of getting this beauty in Oz, or Europe? Any movement on that? Sure would like to see the rest of the world join in on the fun...

Comment

• Originally posted by FLTRI View Post
          Orientation Issues...
          I've never used Callie Graphics, but have heard nothing but good things. Do you guys think she could/would do invasion stripes only for the P-38? Are they "pliable" enough to get them to stretch around the radiators on the boom? I'd only do the tops of the wings, for orientation purposes.

Yes, I know it's probably not exactly period correct, but neither is a pile of broken foam...
          Hello FLTRI(I know that acronym well Injected Roadglide),
          As far as going with the vinyl striping from Callie, her material is pretty pliable but I would believe you would be pushing it's limits trying to make it conform to those boom scoops.
          Period correctness is something that shouldn't be an issue by using the invasion stripes. Jimmy Doolittle flew a silver P-38 with invasion stripes over Normandy to provide General Eisenhower with the first eyewitness report of the D-Day invasion. His version was most likely a "J" because the "L" went into production the same time of June 44 as the invasion but the scale police can't see the "L" in this model over the year earlier "J" variant because it looked the same whereas it was just basically an Allison engine upgrade making for the last variant to be produced.
          That was the best I could do on mining historical fact, so stripe away guys for orientation and the scale police can buggar off.
          Best regards,
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yeah I've had a few flights with her where she is little more than a silhouette due to time of day, conditions, etc...I lost her for a second once and my heart jumped into my throat but luckily I regained orientation. Keep her close if possible especially at dawn/dusk/cloudy conditions.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Orientation Issues...

Is anyone else having them, when flying? As the airframe is so symmetrical, I noticed I was having orientation issues on my second fight, especially when the plane was a distance from me. It just becomes a silver blob, and I was having trouble telling up, from down. I actually cut the flight short, because of this. Obviously, this could end very poorly. Has anyone else noticed this, especially if they have Pacific Silver?

I had the same issue with my 1030 Roc Hobby Staggerwing. Only it was a red blob, instead of silver. I ended up painting the top 2" or so of the wingtips a light dove gray,and that helped a lot. I'm thinking of doing invasion stripes like Brandon did, and painting the top tips of the wingtips red, to match the rudders. The wing tips are easy to do but I doubt I have the skill required to do the strips as nicely as Brandon did.

For what it is worth, and these are likely not up to the quality of the people doing the amazing detailing and posting on the threads, this was done with Callie Graphics

Comment

• I have used Callie many times. Could she do invasion stripes? Absolutely. Will you get the vinyl on the plane cleanly, with no wrinkles and perfectly vertical...doubtful. vinyl is amazing stuff, but it would be a lot of work to get it right. Probably much easier to just mask it off and paint it.

I can't settle on a scale scheme so I decided to fabricate a custom scheme instead of aiming for historical accuracy. While there is a lot to be said for scale accuracy, I prefer to have clear.visibility on my models and for them to be unique. I don't want to fly the same aircraft scheme as someone else at the field.

Really contemplating a sound system on this plane. It is the first plane I own I can reasonably add a sound system to with assurance the model can handle the weight. Has anyone attempted to add one yet? Any recommendations for a good sound system? How difficult are they to install?

Going to finish up my nose art tonight so I can get my scheme off to Callie to get made.

Comment

Orientation Issues...

...I'd only do the tops of the wings, for orientation purposes.

Actually, if you just apply them to the bottom of the wings you can appease the scale police. In late June of 1944, some crews were removing the stripes on the tops of the wings. The purpose of the stripes were to identify friendly aircraft for D-Day. However, they also made the planes easier to spot by enemy fighters. In late Aug, Early Sept. all stripes were to be removed on wings and by the end of 1944, all stripes were to be removed from the aircraft. So putting them on the bottom of the wings could give your orientation marking and maintain some scale marking effect as well.

But I agree with your sentiment, what good is scale detail if it results in a pile of foam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post

For what it is worth, and these are likely not up to the quality of the people doing the amazing detailing and posting on the threads, this was done with Callie Graphics
                    That looks very nice! Just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the pics! Are they individual black and white decal strips, or a sheet with both colors? How did you order them? Is it as easy as "I need invasion stripes for a Flightline P-38?

Comment

• Originally posted by tdevince View Post

Actually, if you just apply them to the bottom of the wings you can appease the scale police. In late June of 1944, some crews were removing the stripes on the tops of the wings. The purpose of the stripes were to identify friendly aircraft for D-Day. However, they also made the planes easier to spot by enemy fighters. In late Aug, Early Sept. all stripes were to be removed on wings and by the end of 1944, all stripes were to be removed from the aircraft. So putting them on the bottom of the wings could give your orientation marking and maintain some scale marking effect as well.

But I agree with your sentiment, what good is scale detail if it results in a pile of foam.
                      Hmmmm, I didn't know that, thanks. Something to consider, and should work out for orientation the same...

Comment

• Originally posted by Arycon View Post
                        I have used Callie many times. Could she do invasion stripes? Absolutely. Will you get the vinyl on the plane cleanly, with no wrinkles and perfectly vertical...doubtful. vinyl is amazing stuff, but it would be a lot of work to get it right. Probably much easier to just mask it off and paint it.
                        Good point. I may just do the wings. Or, I could stripe the booms aft of the radiators, and really make the scale police cringe... :p

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Hello FLTRI(I know that acronym well Injected Roadglide),
                          As far as going with the vinyl striping from Callie, her material is pretty pliable but I would believe you would be pushing it's limits trying to make it conform to those boom scoops.
                          Period correctness is something that shouldn't be an issue by using the invasion stripes. Jimmy Doolittle flew a silver P-38 with invasion stripes over Normandy to provide General Eisenhower with the first eyewitness report of the D-Day invasion. His version was most likely a "J" because the "L" went into production the same time of June 44 as the invasion but the scale police can't see the "L" in this model over the year earlier "J" variant because it looked the same whereas it was just basically an Allison engine upgrade making for the last variant to be produced.
                          That was the best I could do on mining historical fact, so stripe away guys for orientation and the scale police can buggar off.
                          Best regards,
                          Thanks for recognizing my moniker. I've had others think it was "Flirty" and question my other, ummm, orientation...

I think I'll order some, and skip doing the radiators. It'd be "close" to period correct, and fix my problem...

Comment

That looks very nice! Just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the pics! Are they individual black and white decal strips, or a sheet with both colors? How did you order them? Is it as easy as "I need invasion stripes for a Flightline P-38?
                            The under wing are a single sheet 8.5x11 all one piece. Take your control arm off and push the servo horn all the way down. Then I laid the sheet down, until I got to the control surface horn and cut that portion out.

The boom pieces are on separate sheets, as they are designed with the taper of the boom, in that one end is slightly wider than the other.

Just email her and tell her you need invasion stripes for a p-38 at 1/10th scale. Payment to her is made by PayPal.

She is awesome and very friendly and super inexpensive. She has done two sets of custom graphics for me.

Todd

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post

The under wing are a single sheet 8.5x11 all one piece. Take your control arm off and push the servo horn all the way down. Then I laid the sheet down, until I got to the control surface horn and cut that portion out.

The boom pieces are on separate sheets, as they are designed with the taper of the boom, in that one end is slightly wider than the other.

Just email her and tell her you need invasion stripes for a p-38 at 1/10th scale. Payment to her is made by PayPal.

She is awesome and very friendly and super inexpensive. She has done two sets of custom graphics for me.

Todd
                                Super, thanks! Done & done...

Comment

• TRobinson,
                                  I like your avatar. I have a T shirt that is similar. Says "I LOVE (it when) MY WIFE (lets me go diving). :)

Comment

• Hey Alpha, Aros, or anyone from Motion.............I bought a couple of the ZTW UBEC's from Motion and got to reading that they are only 6A rated with 10A max. Will they handle the load on the P38 if I use them for the P38 or should I go with the Castle Creations 10A continuous UBEC's. This going from glow to electric is a heck of a learning curve for us old farts.
                                    Thanks as usual for your help,
                                    Andy

Comment

• Well, I got most of the large decals applied today. I'm gonna hold off on the rest until the invasion stripes show up. It's not as nice as what some of you have done, but I it looks much better than it did before the maiden. Also fabbed a wall mount for "Battle Axe". Had to pick a new wall, as my main plane hanging wall is completely filled. Yeah, it's a sickness. Cheaper and healthier than hookers and blow, I guess...

Comment

• It looks great, nice hanger.
                                        TiredIron Aviation
                                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I received the prop blades and fms wheels today. props done, just need clear coat.
                                          The FMS wheels are nearly 3inch, they look great but where far from a drop in, I had to cut some in the lower wheel well (plastic) and where down the wheels just a little a bit on the grinder. Added 1 washer under the retract. They do look nice but a snug fit for sure. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160404_193445.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	37297 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160404_193535.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	37298 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160404_193630.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	37300 still need to get the wheel collars on. The hub is plastic not brass like the factory ones. Not sure I'd do it again, the factory wheels where not that bad just had it on my list of things to do.
                                          Attached Files
                                          rc flyin addict

Comment

Working...
                                          X