Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Such a cool pic! I love seeing the older generation and newer generation fighters fly in formation. To me, it's a special site to see and also shows the advancements we've made in technology and flight, and how one got here from the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadBob View Post

You might like this. Taken from the Luke AFB, AZ. airshow this last April.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...co0&ajaxhist=0
      I missed Luke Days this year. But now that they have the F-35, I'll definitely be going to the next one!
      Pat

Comment

• Sorry if I missed this somewhere else in this thread, but I'm finally getting around to assembling the plane. Starting with the horizontal stab., can someone tell me how to ID the difference between a PT3X10mm and a PA3X10mm screw?
        Bob Duncan

The only real helicopter is the CH-47 Chinook. The rest are just sling loads!

Comment

• Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
          Thanks Bob. I did a search just now on RCgroups and on Hobbysquawk. What I found was that the the manual and video are incorrect. The five 3x15 screws are for the nose pod attachment. So, for the six 3x10's, I used two of the six pointed screws on the inner portion of the elevator attachment, and then the two oddball blunt ended screws in my picture that are 3x10, I used on the outmost portion of the elevator attachment points. So, the left over four 3x10 screw will go to attaching the tailbooms to the center wing section (two 3x10 on each forward portion of the center section) along with their four 3x20 counterparts (two on each side on the aft portion. That should do it and get us going in the right direction. The four PM 4x8's (though they are really 3x8) should attach the two outer wings.

Hopefully I have that all correct? Someone chime in if I'm wrong, please ;).
          I just posted on P.120 about this and just remembered your post here. I see that you used 2-3X10's of the six pointed screws on the inner portion of the elevator attachment. Can you clarify which 3X10's you used, as there are 6-PT3X10mm and 6-PA3X10mm?

Also, what do you mean by, "the six pointed screws."
          Bob Duncan

Comment

• F-106's P-38 flight at "Warbirds over Grapevine" event this past Saturday.

Comment

I just posted on P.120 about this and just remembered your post here. I see that you used 2-3X10's of the six pointed screws on the inner portion of the elevator attachment. Can you clarify which 3X10's you used, as there are 6-PT3X10mm and 6-PA3X10mm?

Also, what do you mean by, "the six pointed screws."
              Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in response. I have two posts on this, one that you found and quoted (post #2245) and another that shows a picture of the exact screws that came with my plane and I posted a picture with the screws lined up and identified. This will make it much easier to see what I did, and this is on post number 2243 linked here: http://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc-...8126#post48126

It's best to take all the screws out and measure the length and width to make sure you keep alike screws together and separated from the non-alike screws. My package actually came with Six 3x10 screws that had a pointed/sharp end, and then two similar sized (close to 3x10) screws but that have a non-pointed end (blunt end). You'll see this is the pictures on my post number 2243. Two (one on each side) of the six sharp ended 3x10 screws were used on the innermost section of the horizontal stab/elevator attachment. There will be four sharp ended 3x10 screws left, and those will all go on the most forward portion of the boom attachment joining the center section of the fuselage (two on each side of the plane, but still the most forward screw holes). That will consume all the sharp ended 3x10 screws. The four 3x20 screws will be used to join each boom to the center section on the most rearward screws holes. There will be two non-sharp ended 3x10 sized screws in the package (unless they've changed something), and those will go on the outermost portion of the horizontal stab/elevator near where the ends are glued on. I hope that helps. If not, I'll see if I can take some pics, but the pics on post 2243 may clear things up.

Comment

• Hello T-CAT,
                Your link to post#2243 is incorrect.
                Saved you some time and linked it correctly ;)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thank you!!

Comment

• Haven't seen a post here about aileron differential, so I'll start. Has anyone connected the ailerons to separate channels instead of using the blue module and programed A/D?

And what about Exponential?
                    Bob Duncan

Comment

• She does drag tail a bit if you don't add a little rudder in turns so ale diff would help, you have to have each ale on it's own channel of course. I use expo on everything, rather than look for a % I just kind of have a feel for how the movement should look, soft in middle and not too harsh when the extra throw comes in at the ends of the stick travel
                      rc flyin addict

Comment

• Aileron differential requires an extra channel and adds another level of complexity that is really not needed for this plane. Just learn to use rudder when doing banked turns and rolls. Not only will this improve your flying skills but it will get your mind used to using rudder for other things. Of the 50+ planes I've owned and flown (nearly 40 still flying), I've never bothered with AIL diff. As for EXPO, this is a matter of personal taste. If you are completely in the dark about what to start with, I suggest 25 - 30% on all rates, then adjust to suit your own flying style. Some people hate EXPO, while some can't fly without it.

PS. BadBob, I can't remember exactly when you started on this journey with this P-38 but it seems like it's been quite a while ago. Unless you are a complete novice, wouldn't it be a good idea to just get it finished, set up and go fly it? You can learn a lot from just flying it, instead of worrying about all these little things. If you are a complete novice, then I can see your reluctance to get it in the air but then, maybe this plane wasn't a good one to start on. If you are not a complete novice, I would think that many of these things you query about should already be known to you. :huh:

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                          Aileron differential requires an extra channel and adds another level of complexity that is really not needed for this plane. Just learn to use rudder when doing banked turns and rolls. Not only will this improve your flying skills but it will get your mind used to using rudder for other things. Of the 50+ planes I've owned and flown (nearly 40 still flying), I've never bothered with AIL diff. As for EXPO, this is a matter of personal taste. If you are completely in the dark about what to start with, I suggest 25 - 30% on all rates, then adjust to suit your own flying style. Some people hate EXPO, while some can't fly without it.

PS. BadBob, I can't remember exactly when you started on this journey with this P-38 but it seems like it's been quite a while ago. Unless you are a complete novice, wouldn't it be a good idea to just get it finished, set up and go fly it? You can learn a lot from just flying it, instead of worrying about all these little things. If you are a complete novice, then I can see your reluctance to get it in the air but then, maybe this plane wasn't a good one to start on. If you are not a complete novice, I would think that many of these things you query about should already be known to you. :huh:
                          Not quite a novice, but no expert either. I came across an article about ail diff versus rudder/ail co-ordination and was just curious to see if anyone has considered or done ail diff. with this plane.
                          Bob Duncan

Comment

• I have lots & lots :) of flights logged on this plane. It hasn't come to mind once considering this.
                            Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                            Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• I don't have as many flights on mine as Lon has racked up(came to the 38 party half way through the season) but I got to agree with him. No ail diff required nor ail/rud mix. Bob, your getting wrapped around the nits of nothing before having flown it, just go fly this bird and have a ball. This bird flies so easy for being a twin, but not quite as good as my Bronco.;)
                              Best regards,
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Haven't seen a post here about aileron differential, so I'll start. Has anyone connected the ailerons to separate channels instead of using the blue module and programed A/D?

And what about Exponential?
                                Hey Bob, I have done the ailerons on separate channels as you described but for different reasons. One, putting them on separate channels means the ailerons aren't "sharing the power" of that one channel on the receiver and you can adjust the two ailerons independently. Two, I do have some differential dialed in on the ailerons but only because I get more axial roles than without. But, as others have said, I'd wait on the differential and just get the plane in the air and get comfortable with it's characteristics and go from there. As for exponential, I'm with Mr. Frankenjet. 25-30 % on everything. It beats the hell out of dual rates. Brad

Comment

• Does anyone know when the upgraded struts will be back in at Motion?

Comment

• Originally posted by cmk-2 View Post
                                    Does anyone know when the upgraded struts will be back in at Motion?
                                    Did you set up an email from them when they do come in? Sometimes they won't send one, so check their web site from time to time anyway.
                                    Bob Duncan

Comment

• I believe it'll be two weeks, that's when they are expecting the other container.

Comment

• Got several great flights on Putt Putt Maru at an event in St George Utah over the past 5 days. Here's some pics from the event thread on RCG. The other P-38 in the formation pics belongs to Tony (xplaneguy). Always love flying formations with him!

Pat

Comment

• Great photos!!! I'm thinking the camera wasn't a polaroid instamatic.......
                                          Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                                          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Working...
                                          X