Official FlightLine 1600mm P-51D Mustang Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nuts-n-volts
    Duke City Electric Flyers

    • Dec 2016
    • 262
    • Albuquerque, New Mexico
    • Send PM

    #601
    Looks right on the money, Dave. Nice build!
    Fly low, fly fast, turn left

    Comment

    • davegee
      Senior Member

      • Nov 2013
      • 2759
      • Cody, WY
      • Send PM

      #602
      Thanks, Rex. I did the same thing in a CARF P-51D for the Mighty Eighth museum in Savannah. These tanks were key to allowing fighters to stay with their bombers all the way to Berlin and back.

      davegee

      Comment

      • davegee
        Senior Member

        • Nov 2013
        • 2759
        • Cody, WY
        • Send PM

        #603
        Thanks, nuts-n-volts. Having done it before for a 1/4 scale CARF P-51D, it was a lot easier this time around.

        The drop tanks held up so well the other day in drop tests that I think for now I’ll just stay with what Danger Dan and I cooked up for this airplane. A little heavier than what I prefer, but adequate with the P-51 and the tanks are virtually indestructible so far.

        Cheers

        davegee

        Comment

        • davegee
          Senior Member

          • Nov 2013
          • 2759
          • Cody, WY
          • Send PM

          #604
          Took my P-51D HHH out for some flying and static photos on the ramp this morning. Although I dropped the printed 110 gallon tanks painted in primer last week, I have them finished now in silver and scale air and fuel lines installed using aluminum tubing. I didn't fly the big tanks today, but did a bomb drop with the printed 500# bombs, and the OEM foam 75 gallon drop tanks.

          Those went well although the bomb fins did get damaged and I"ll probably just replace them with a fresh set of printed fins for the next time I want to try them. Here's some photos of the final version of the 110 gallon tanks. Many thanks to my very able partner Danger Dan who is coming along quite well designing projects for printing on my Prusa mini 3D printer.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3978.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	452846 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3974.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	452847 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3972.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	452849 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3981.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	452850 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3977.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	452851

          Attached Files

          Comment

          • jetfool
            Senior Member

            • Nov 2022
            • 1332
            • Crawfordsville, Indiana
            • Send PM

            #605
            Davegee,
            Beautiful Model and excellent bombs and tanks. You guys make a good team. Wonder what Dan will produce after retirement and has plenty of time on his hands?
            Best Regards, Rex

            Comment

            • davegee
              Senior Member

              • Nov 2013
              • 2759
              • Cody, WY
              • Send PM

              #606
              Originally posted by jetfool
              Davegee,
              Beautiful Model and excellent bombs and tanks. You guys make a good team. Wonder what Dan will produce after retirement and has plenty of time on his hands?
              Best Regards, Rex
              Thanks. We'll put him to work doing something, that's for sure!!

              Cheers

              Davegee

              Comment

              • Grossman56
                Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

                • Jun 2014
                • 7378
                • Cody, Wyoming
                • Send PM

                #607
                Hey guys, just got finished with the Monday morning runarounds. Had to replace the doorknob on the front door, which is no big deal and of course, the obligatory grocery run.
                I'm looking at the 50 cals from the B 25 and thinking I can do a better job than that.
                Flip over to the B 25 thread.

                Grossman56
                (Dangerous Dan)
                Team Gross!

                Comment

                • davegee
                  Senior Member

                  • Nov 2013
                  • 2759
                  • Cody, WY
                  • Send PM

                  #608
                  Hi Elbee: I just ordered a spool of grey TPU filament from Amazon to experiment with using it as a lighter and more flexible (and survivable from dropping from aircraft) filament as an experiment. Supposed to be at my doorstep next Friday. I'll let you know how it goes!

                  Are there any special settings I need to change for my Prusa mini to make this print up properly?

                  Thanks,

                  Davegee

                  Comment

                  • Elbee
                    Be humble...be approachable...and be credible.

                    • Feb 2018
                    • 4853
                    • Wichita, Kansas
                    • Send PM

                    #609
                    Originally posted by davegee
                    Hi Elbee: I just ordered a spool of grey TPU filament from Amazon to experiment with using it as a lighter and more flexible (and survivable from dropping from aircraft) filament as an experiment. Supposed to be at my doorstep next Friday. I'll let you know how it goes!

                    Are there any special settings I need to change for my Prusa mini to make this print up properly?

                    Thanks,

                    Davegee
                    Dave,

                    Flexible filaments like TPU should be printed at higher temperatures.

                    230C is good starting point and you can reduce temps from there.

                    Depending on the brand you bought, there might be a print guide included with the filament.

                    I have added a link to a website I have used that explains some do's and don'ts.

                    Your design should have a wall thickness of at least 2mm with an infill of 20%.

                    I would use Support Cubic as the infill for your first print and see if it is stiff enough to withstand the drops.

                    Stringing will be an issue, but is easily removed.

                    These prints won't be perfect like PLA, but should last much longer in use.

                    Best, Steve

                    Master TPU printing in 7 steps! Avoid stringing, improve layer adhesion, and create strong, flexible prints. Read the guide and optimize your 3D printer today!
                    "I am having an extraordinary ordinary life."
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

                    "Find satisfaction in the process rather than an outcome."
                    ~Anonymous~

                    AMA#116446

                    Comment

                    • davegee
                      Senior Member

                      • Nov 2013
                      • 2759
                      • Cody, WY
                      • Send PM

                      #610
                      Originally posted by Elbee

                      Dave,

                      Flexible filaments like TPU should be printed at higher temperatures.

                      230C is good starting point and you can reduce temps from there.

                      Depending on the brand you bought, there might be a print guide included with the filament.

                      I have added a link to a website I have used that explains some do's and don'ts.

                      Your design should have a wall thickness of at least 2mm with an infill of 20%.

                      I would use Support Cubic as the infill for your first print and see if it is stiff enough to withstand the drops.

                      Stringing will be an issue, but is easily removed.

                      These prints won't be perfect like PLA, but should last much longer in use.

                      Best, Steve
                      Great info, Thanks! This was a brand I had not heard of before offered on Amazon, but hopefully it will work. Worth a try. The biggest breakthrough is if it is considerably lighter than the ones I have printed, which are excellent, but lighter is always good when flying these prototypes. I'm expecting the spool to arrive late next week and then I can go to work on a couple of small test projects..

                      Cheers

                      Davegee

                      Comment

                      • Elbee
                        Be humble...be approachable...and be credible.

                        • Feb 2018
                        • 4853
                        • Wichita, Kansas
                        • Send PM

                        #611
                        Originally posted by davegee

                        Great info, Thanks! This was a brand I had not heard of before offered on Amazon, but hopefully it will work. Worth a try. The biggest breakthrough is if it is considerably lighter than the ones I have printed, which are excellent, but lighter is always good when flying these prototypes. I'm expecting the spool to arrive late next week and then I can go to work on a couple of small test projects..

                        Cheers

                        Davegee
                        Dave,

                        With the added flexibility and 20% infill the wall thickness can be reduced.

                        That will decrease the weight more than the material itself.

                        This is always a compromise.

                        Do you still have some of the LW-PLA?

                        You could try test printing the tanks with that also.

                        Best, Steve

                        "I am having an extraordinary ordinary life."
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

                        "Find satisfaction in the process rather than an outcome."
                        ~Anonymous~

                        AMA#116446

                        Comment

                        • davegee
                          Senior Member

                          • Nov 2013
                          • 2759
                          • Cody, WY
                          • Send PM

                          #612
                          Originally posted by Elbee

                          Dave,

                          With the added flexibility and 20% infill the wall thickness can be reduced.

                          That will decrease the weight more than the material itself.

                          This is always a compromise.

                          Do you still have some of the LW-PLA?

                          You could try test printing the tanks with that also.

                          Best, Steve
                          Thanks, Steve. I do have almost the complete roll of the LW-PLA. I tried a couple small projects with it but it turned out exactly the same weight as an identical test object that was regular PLA. I'm sure it must have been operator error. I thought I had the temp high enough, I think around 230 degrees C to activate the processes of the lightweight filament, but never got that far with it. It's still stored next to my printer.

                          Davegee

                          Comment

                          • nickwildman81
                            Member

                            • Nov 2025
                            • 17
                            • North West, UK
                            • Send PM

                            #613
                            Hello chaps! Looking for some advice... I have the Flightline P51 operational, and I also have a FMS 1700 P51 as a project. A complete airframe, never flown, and a comprehensive set of spare parts, but I'm intending to upgrade to nylon hinges and ball links, custom paint and decals, etc.

                            However, I recently conducted a maiden on my FMS 1700 V3 Corsair, and it's really underpowered (I was aware) to the point that where I'm going to have to upgrade the power system if I want to fly scale-like airshow routines, as it just doesn't have enough 'umff'.

                            I'm now hesitant to put in all the work that I planned, into the FMS 1700 P51, if I'm going to be constantly comparing its performance to the brilliant Flightline 1600.

                            So, a couple of questions - I've noted a number of you have, or have had, the FMS 1700. I'm not into modifying this, modifying that, sourcing this, sourcing that, but would be willing to upgrade the power system, retaining a 4 blade prop, if it's going to give me comparable (doesn't have too be exact) performance to the 1600, so that I can fly scale-like large loops and an airshow routine for example.

                            The Flightline power system and prop has been suggested to me. I believe someone has installed an Elite 60 but required a 2 blade prop or extensive hub modification, which I can't be bothered with.

                            So the final question is... am I always going to be comparing the 1700 with the 1600, and be disappointed even after installing a more powerful motor? Should I sell the 1700 in its entirety, with spare parts, and just buy another 1600 instead?

                            I don't want to put in multiple month's work with upgrading the airframe and repainting if I'm going to be disappointed compared to the FL 1600. I'd just buy another 1600 and accept the slight size difference.

                            Thanks for your input....

                            Comment

                            • Grossman56
                              Dangerous Dan *HobbySquawk Moderator*

                              • Jun 2014
                              • 7378
                              • Cody, Wyoming
                              • Send PM

                              #614
                              I've heard several comments on the 1700mm Mustang about its under performance. I seem to recall someone trying an 8s battery, that might be an easy fix, I'd have someone with experience with this bird give more comprehensive advice.
                              Check this out:
                              I recently purchased the FMS 1700mm P-51D Red tail. Its a beautiful scale airplane but just lacks power. I dont need a pylon racer but some realistic vertical


                              Grossman56
                              (Dangerous Dan)
                              Team Gross!

                              Comment

                              • paulrkytek
                                Member

                                • Jun 2019
                                • 530
                                • North of England
                                • Send PM

                                #615
                                Originally posted by nickwildman81
                                Hello chaps! Looking for some advice... I have the Flightline P51 operational, and I also have a FMS 1700 P51 as a project. A complete airframe, never flown, and a comprehensive set of spare parts, but I'm intending to upgrade to nylon hinges and ball links, custom paint and decals, etc.

                                However, I recently conducted a maiden on my FMS 1700 V3 Corsair, and it's really underpowered (I was aware) to the point that where I'm going to have to upgrade the power system if I want to fly scale-like airshow routines, as it just doesn't have enough 'umff'.

                                I'm now hesitant to put in all the work that I planned, into the FMS 1700 P51, if I'm going to be constantly comparing its performance to the brilliant Flightline 1600.

                                So, a couple of questions - I've noted a number of you have, or have had, the FMS 1700. I'm not into modifying this, modifying that, sourcing this, sourcing that, but would be willing to upgrade the power system, retaining a 4 blade prop, if it's going to give me comparable (doesn't have too be exact) performance to the 1600, so that I can fly scale-like large loops and an airshow routine for example.

                                The Flightline power system and prop has been suggested to me. I believe someone has installed an Elite 60 but required a 2 blade prop or extensive hub modification, which I can't be bothered with.

                                So the final question is... am I always going to be comparing the 1700 with the 1600, and be disappointed even after installing a more powerful motor? Should I sell the 1700 in its entirety, with spare parts, and just buy another 1600 instead?

                                I don't want to put in multiple month's work with upgrading the airframe and repainting if I'm going to be disappointed compared to the FL 1600. I'd just buy another 1600 and accept the slight size difference.

                                Thanks for your input....
                                Assuming you do not have the Flightline 1600 Spitfire I would buy one instead of a second Mustang 1600 and sell the FMS 1700 to avoid the hassle and disappoint of the older FMS airframe. The Spitfire is cheaper than the Mustang and to me flies better.

                                Comment

                                • JackTBear
                                  Member

                                  • Feb 2023
                                  • 8
                                  • Send PM

                                  #616
                                  I fly mostly 1500-1700mm warbirds and a few EDF jets. Many Flightline and FMS planes in the hangar, I fly them scale and enjoy them all. This new 1600mm P-51, other than the small prop, is great looking, however it is sluggish, never feels locked in and is generally boring to fly. I understand they wanted to dumb it down and make it easier to fly but it's a little too dumbed down for me. Compared to my E-Flite P-51 1500mm it's no contest, the E-Flite is far more agile and entertaining to fly. Am I alone in this appraisal? Am I missing something?

                                  Comment

                                  • paulrkytek
                                    Member

                                    • Jun 2019
                                    • 530
                                    • North of England
                                    • Send PM

                                    #617
                                    Originally posted by JackTBear
                                    I fly mostly 1500-1700mm warbirds and a few EDF jets. Many Flightline and FMS planes in the hangar, I fly them scale and enjoy them all. This new 1600mm P-51, other than the small prop, is great looking, however it is sluggish, never feels locked in and is generally boring to fly. I understand they wanted to dumb it down and make it easier to fly but it's a little too dumbed down for me. Compared to my E-Flite P-51 1500mm it's no contest, the E-Flite is far more agile and entertaining to fly. Am I alone in this appraisal? Am I missing something?
                                    Probably not. My Flightline Spitfire is 650gms lighter take off weight, same motor, same wing area, (77gms/dm2 as opposed to 90gms/dm2 with Mustang )flies lighter, more agile than the Mustang. I bought the Mustang to replace my old 1450mm Mustang which after several years of service finally bit the dust. I used it for spot landing competitions at the local club and even added a double bomb/wing tank drop for the target event. Yes the Mustang 1600 flies scale but not as entertaining or graceful as my Spitfire. Adding "improvements" adds weight, alters flight envelope and warrants more power which to me it does not have . Out of choice I take the Spitfire out to fly first, I guess it is a question of what you want out of the model on the day and how Freewing intended it to fly.

                                    Comment

                                    • Hugh Wiedman
                                      Demolition Pilot

                                      • Jan 2018
                                      • 2703
                                      • Miami
                                      • Send PM

                                      #618
                                      Originally posted by nickwildman81
                                      Hello chaps! Looking for some advice... I have the Flightline P51 operational, and I also have a FMS 1700 P51 as a project. A complete airframe, never flown, and a comprehensive set of spare parts, but I'm intending to upgrade to nylon hinges and ball links, custom paint and decals, etc.

                                      However, I recently conducted a maiden on my FMS 1700 V3 Corsair, and it's really underpowered (I was aware) to the point that where I'm going to have to upgrade the power system if I want to fly scale-like airshow routines, as it just doesn't have enough 'umff'.

                                      I'm now hesitant to put in all the work that I planned, into the FMS 1700 P51, if I'm going to be constantly comparing its performance to the brilliant Flightline 1600.

                                      So, a couple of questions - I've noted a number of you have, or have had, the FMS 1700. I'm not into modifying this, modifying that, sourcing this, sourcing that, but would be willing to upgrade the power system, retaining a 4 blade prop, if it's going to give me comparable (doesn't have too be exact) performance to the 1600, so that I can fly scale-like large loops and an airshow routine for example.

                                      The Flightline power system and prop has been suggested to me. I believe someone has installed an Elite 60 but required a 2 blade prop or extensive hub modification, which I can't be bothered with.

                                      So the final question is... am I always going to be comparing the 1700 with the 1600, and be disappointed even after installing a more powerful motor? Should I sell the 1700 in its entirety, with spare parts, and just buy another 1600 instead?

                                      I don't want to put in multiple month's work with upgrading the airframe and repainting if I'm going to be disappointed compared to the FL 1600. I'd just buy another 1600 and accept the slight size difference.

                                      Thanks for your input....
                                      Go to my post in this thread from around July 20th, I think Mr. Mulligan Upgraded the motor, now flies awesome. Also detailed in the RC Groups thread specifically for the FMS 1700 P-51.

                                      Here's my flight video:

                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: EDF's: Mig 29 TV "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, SU-27 90mm 8S:F22 Red Lion/EuroFighterBronzeTiger/F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet/F16/F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 80&90 TV Avanti, Viper, Stinger 90. Props: 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, 1700 P-51, 60" Beast & P2 Bipe, Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge

                                      Comment

                                      • Hugh Wiedman
                                        Demolition Pilot

                                        • Jan 2018
                                        • 2703
                                        • Miami
                                        • Send PM

                                        #619
                                         
                                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                        Hangar: EDF's: Mig 29 TV "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, SU-27 90mm 8S:F22 Red Lion/EuroFighterBronzeTiger/F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet/F16/F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 80&90 TV Avanti, Viper, Stinger 90. Props: 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, 1700 P-51, 60" Beast & P2 Bipe, Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge

                                        Comment

                                        • Hugh Wiedman
                                          Demolition Pilot

                                          • Jan 2018
                                          • 2703
                                          • Miami
                                          • Send PM

                                          #620
                                          Sorry I'm infecting this FW 1600mm P-51 thread with talk of the flying brick FMS 1700mm P-51.

                                          What this really shows is how superb the Flightline 1600mm P-51 really is. The competition can't touch it. Looks awesome and is powered perfectly, even sporting a 4 blade prop. Anyone looking for a large P-51 would be a fool not to have it at the top of their list!
                                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                          Hangar: EDF's: Mig 29 TV "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, SU-27 90mm 8S:F22 Red Lion/EuroFighterBronzeTiger/F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet/F16/F4 Jolly Rodgers & Blue Angel, 80&90 TV Avanti, Viper, Stinger 90. Props: 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, B-24, 1700 P-51, 60" Beast & P2 Bipe, Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 62" Extra 300, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, 62" Edge

                                          Comment

                                          Working...