X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tsmith View Post
    Is there enough room in the battery compartment for a larger pack moved back a bit?
    Yup, I'll take a picture later today and post it.

Comment

• The battery hatch is cavernous! A 4000 fits easily.
      Just got the second coat of Varathane on her, WOW what a difference!!!
      Also a great way to seal in the decals.
      The blue really pops, she looks more ink blue than black/blue, very pretty! I'll post some pics once she's dry.
      I'm also going to pull the gear doors off the struts and paint them silver as well as paint the wheel hubs Navy blue for authenticity.
      I'm really debating whether to paint the gear wells blue. The first plane I get with zinc chromate already there and it should be blue!!
      Quite the plane guys. Have a bit more work to do and then she's ready. Didn't plan on being able to fly her until Spring, but believe it or not, its 67 degrees here in Wyoming and I don't mean minus!! T shirt weather, I drove home from work with the windows down and no jacket, amazing what a little global warming will do!
      Off to the field either tomorrow or Sunday. Sunday had been great for the past two weekends, so......

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Here's some shots just before the sun disappears, you can see the difference the Varathane makes.

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          Here's some shots just before the sun disappears, you can see the difference the Varathane makes.

Grossman56
          Good pics Dan! BUT...you need to put a Mobius camera on your xmas list to show your planes in flight.
          Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
          Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

• You know Lon, that's a good idea, I just keep forgetting about it!!
            The two young guys that had there quads out for the last two Sundays we good enough to let Diane and I check out the FPV, pretty cool and I keep wondering what it looks like from up there. Should check into one.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Here's some shots just before the sun disappears, you can see the difference the Varathane makes.

Grossman56
              Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for posting the pics.

Comment

• What holes is everyone using for the push-rods on the flaps and ailerons? The manual calls for the hole closest to the servo but there is not way to put them there without hitting the foam.

Comment

• I used the third hole in from the tip of the servo arm and the last hole out from the wing on the control horn.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!
                  All I can say about this bird!!!!!
                  Maidened mine today, 63 degrees sunny and no wind to speak of (eat your heart out!! It's usually freezing and covered in snow, today is t shirt weather!). Off to the field with the Bearcat and Pandora Two. I figured why wait until Spring, blast it into the air now while the flying weather is good.
                  So, I put my Lucky Pilot Ryan jacket on and away we went.
                  I ran a 3600 4s all the way forward, dropped takeoff flaps lined her up and away we went. She pulls to the left about as much as the Pandora does and before you know it, she's airborne, very quick!! Gear up, flaps up and she's climbing, a little bit too much climb so I trimmed the nose down and a tendency to roll slightly so I trimmed that out too. First thing I noticed was that the pins that close the inner gear doors weren't closing them properly, no biggie, I can adjust them when she's back on the ground. A little puttering around at three mistakes of altitude to get the feel for her, switched on the gyro, yep, working properly. A couple of circuits, man she flies nice. Gear and flaps down, full flaps barely, if any tendency to track differently with full flaps, Ryan was spot on about that. Bring her down to my base leg altitude, past my turning point and turning to final over the telephone pole in the distance which is my reference point so now I know I'm properly lined up with the runway. Adjust throttle to descend, about a third, over the runway at about four feet of altitude. Throttle back and wings level, down on her mains, pin the tail, WOW, beautiful. And that wide landing gear tracks like a son of a gun.
                  That was a maiden!!!
                  I adjusted the pins and got the gear working correctly and put three more flights on her.
                  What a great plane! I think I may have a new favorite. The only thing I could find that wasn't perfect was the door pins and I thought she rolled too slowly for me, so a little playing around in the radio will take care of that.
                  Some of the other guys showed up shortly after the maiden and couldn't believe that it was a brand new plane as I put her through some aerobatics and greased the landings. Take offs were so smooth that she felt like a old faithful plane I'd been flying for years.
                  Guys, no bull, this one has GOT to be in your stable. Everyone who has followed me on this forum knows I'm a 1400 mm guy and I was disappointed when they announced that the Bearcat was going to be in 1200 mm scale, but I'm telling you, I'm sold on these Flightline 1200 mm warbirds, simply amazing, to the point that Flightline is going to be my go to Product line.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Grossman56;n50757]I used the third hole in from the tip of the servo arm and the last hole out from the wing on the control horn.

So you are using the setup from the manual. Can you take a picture? I would like to see how much clearance you have in the servo pocket?
                    In the build video, it "looks" like Pilot Ryan used the 1st hole on the servo and the middle hole on the wing.

Comment

I used the third hole in from the tip of the servo arm and the last hole out from the wing on the control horn.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!
                      All I can say about this bird!!!!!
                      Maidened mine today, 63 degrees sunny and no wind to speak of (eat your heart out!! It's usually freezing and covered in snow, today is t shirt weather!). Off to the field with the Bearcat and Pandora Two. I figured why wait until Spring, blast it into the air now while the flying weather is good.
                      So, I put my Lucky Pilot Ryan jacket on and away we went.
                      I ran a 3600 4s all the way forward, dropped takeoff flaps lined her up and away we went. She pulls to the left about as much as the Pandora does and before you know it, she's airborne, very quick!! Gear up, flaps up and she's climbing, a little bit too much climb so I trimmed the nose down and a tendency to roll slightly so I trimmed that out too. First thing I noticed was that the pins that close the inner gear doors weren't closing them properly, no biggie, I can adjust them when she's back on the ground. A little puttering around at three mistakes of altitude to get the feel for her, switched on the gyro, yep, working properly. A couple of circuits, man she flies nice. Gear and flaps down, full flaps barely, if any tendency to track differently with full flaps, Ryan was spot on about that. Bring her down to my base leg altitude, past my turning point and turning to final over the telephone pole in the distance which is my reference point so now I know I'm properly lined up with the runway. Adjust throttle to descend, about a third, over the runway at about four feet of altitude. Throttle back and wings level, down on her mains, pin the tail, WOW, beautiful. And that wide landing gear tracks like a son of a gun.
                      That was a maiden!!!
                      I adjusted the pins and got the gear working correctly and put three more flights on her.
                      What a great plane! I think I may have a new favorite. The only thing I could find that wasn't perfect was the door pins and I thought she rolled too slowly for me, so a little playing around in the radio will take care of that.
                      Some of the other guys showed up shortly after the maiden and couldn't believe that it was a brand new plane as I put her through some aerobatics and greased the landings. Take offs were so smooth that she felt like a old faithful plane I'd been flying for years.
                      Guys, no bull, this one has GOT to be in your stable. Everyone who has followed me on this forum knows I'm a 1400 mm guy and I was disappointed when they announced that the Bearcat was going to be in 1200 mm scale, but I'm telling you, I'm sold on these Flightline 1200 mm warbirds, simply amazing, to the point that Flightline is going to be my go to Product line.

Grossman56
                      Wahoooo! You've got me pumped up on this beauty and I haven't even ordered it yet...great to hear how awesome it is! The end of flying season is almost over here in western Massachusetts but days like you described in your post will help get us through.

Comment

• [QUOTE=flyingiceberg;n50769]
                        Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                        I used the third hole in from the tip of the servo arm and the last hole out from the wing on the control horn.

So you are using the setup from the manual. Can you take a picture? I would like to see how much clearance you have in the servo pocket?
                        In the build video, it "looks" like Pilot Ryan used the 1st hole on the servo and the middle hole on the wing.
                        Sure Ice, I just finished painting the wheels the proper Navy Blue and the struts Chrome as well as giving her a third and final coat of Varathane, tell me, does it make a difference!!??
                        Anyway, I also took some pics of the push rods running from the servo arms to the control horn. As low as I could go on the servo and as high as I could go on the control horn. Hope this helps.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• A few photos from flying the Bearcat yesterday morning. Definitely going to have to add a tail retract soon..

Comment

• BTW, I got a tree with clear plastic pieces on it, does anyone know what they are for??
                            Regarding the tail retract, I agree, keep us posted on what you did if you decide to go ahead.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Hey Gman!

That plane looks awesome! Eversince Doc turned us on to Varathane that's all I'll use. Great job Dan you might have sold me on this one.:shy:

Roy B.

Comment

BTW, I got a tree with clear plastic pieces on it, does anyone know what they are for??
                                Regarding the tail retract, I agree, keep us posted on what you did if you decide to go ahead.
                                Will do. The tree is of parts for plastic hinges. They are there so you can add them to the control surfaces if desired.

Comment

BTW, I got a tree with clear plastic pieces on it, does anyone know what they are for??

Grossman56
                                  Nylon hinges for control surfaces.
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Hey Boomer, that stuff is amazing, the surface feels stronger, and a UV protectant. Three coats with a 1" foam brush, and she glows.
                                    You can see how, what the word, unimpressive(?) the surface looks in dull blue, but put a coat of Spar Varathane on and WOW! It's like polishing an old dull car back to new again. Just look at the before and after shots.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• thanks guys

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Grossman56;n50773]
                                        Originally posted by flyingiceberg View Post

Sure Ice, I just finished painting the wheels the proper Navy Blue and the struts Chrome as well as giving her a third and final coat of Varathane, tell me, does it make a difference!!??
                                        Anyway, I also took some pics of the push rods running from the servo arms to the control horn. As low as I could go on the servo and as high as I could go on the control horn. Hope this helps.

Grossman56
                                        Thanks! are you using the varathane over the decals?

Comment

• Great write-up, Grossman, thanks for your comprehensive input. What do holes do you have your control rods in on the aileron servo and aileron control horn?
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X