X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
    Great write-up, Grossman, thanks for your comprehensive input. What do holes do you have your control rods in on the aileron servo and aileron control horn?
    See post #251 picture 5. It wasn't super slow and I'm playing around with different rates and throw percentages. If the weather is good tomorrow,I'll be taking her out again.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Team Gross!

Comment

• hey guys where is the planes cg working out to be? I went to the local hobby shop today and bought 3 Y connectors and ditched the control box...don't like new things lol....using the admiral 4s 4000 batts

Comment

• I found it to be right where Ryan posted in the pics. I ran a 3600 4s yesterday and she needed a little nose down trim, so I figure that the 4000's should be all the way up as well. I put the box on the cg so it didn't make a difference, so you should be good with the batteries all the way forward.
          The box actually works well for gear flaps and ailerons, the gear has to be plugged in to complete the circuit it would seem. The single yellow wires only work if they are plugged in correctly, so if they don't work, flip them over and try it that way. I had to use an extension for the aileron wire to reach to the gyro, so I used a regular three wire extension and just made sure the yellow wire was plugged into the yellow wire, obvious, but easily overlooked. Worked fine.

Here's the kicker, I flew for just under 5 minutes and did a variety of things and when I landed, the batteries still had 71%!!
          I'll try it with the 4000's and see what left and extend the flight time accordingly.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

• the two cats, couldn't resist!

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

• thanks grossy don't know how I missed those ryan pics of cg....

Comment

• Nice report on the maiden Grossman! I haven't flown mine yet (next weekend), but I'm doing the same as you and adding a gloss finish. I'm using Minwax Polycrylic Gloss. I've got one coat one, going to do at least two more.
                Pat

Comment

• So glad I coated it, it makes the world of difference to the color.
                  I'm hoping to see if Ryan and Mike will do a video on the motor/prop/ESC upgrade and see what the difference is.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Yep. I've got 2 coats on mine so far and it is a night and day difference! However, if I had gone with a unit scheme instead of BA, I would have left it matte.
                    Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      Here's the kicker, I flew for just under 5 minutes and did a variety of things and when I landed, the batteries still had 71%!!
                      I'll try it with the 4000's and see what left and extend the flight time accordingly.

Grossman56
                      I'm proud of the balance we've struck with the FlightLineRC power systems. I've flown this bird with managed throttle management for ten minutes with juice to spare.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Something does not seem right in the manual, on high rates the elevator gets 15 mm travel and low get 10 mm travel out of the box. Ailerons get 10 mm low rate and 15 mm on high rate using the second hole on the servo and the last hole on the control horn on the aileron. the manual calls for 20 mm and 25 mm on the ailerons. Using the first hole on the servo for the ailerons I got 5 mm and 10 mm of travel. what should it be?

Comment

• I always run my servos in the farthest hole / largest diameter on the servo and move my clevis on the control horn as close to the surface as I can without binding at full throw. This is obviously going to be the largest load on the servo so you have to be careful on large, fast, high load surfaces which I don't consider the Bearcat to be. I then adjust the Dual Rate throws in my radio to be per the manual.

Comment

• Hey 2Few, welcome! That's interesting as I run the closest hole I can get to the servo and the furthest out from the horn, each to their own I guess. as long as it works for you.
                            Personally, the only thing I measure for throws is the flaps. I set my controls holes as described and set my controls as 70% rates and 30% expo and maybe 50%-60% low rates with 30% expo. Since I have a three position switch, I leave the high rate alone until I've flown the plane a bit, then use the high (0) setting on the switch to adjust what I feel needs adjusting. For instance, I left elevator at 70, turned the ailerons up to 100, rudder remaining at 70 as well, mostly because it gives me the ground handling I want. Then back up and try it, with the idea that if something is too much, I'm a click away from normal.
                            The major thing for me, is the setup.
                            Are my control surfaces at neutral when then sticks are, I'll fine tune that on the plane, sometimes, I'll do it a few times until I'm absolutely satisfied that they are as close as I can get it. How's the CG? I'll always use Ryan's advice as a starting point and adjust to my own taste from there. He's usually spot on for me.
                            The only CG issue I had was with the FMS Pitts, like in your Icon. Everyone I listened to on videos wanted the battery jammed all the way forward. I tried putting it all the way forward without cutting the piece out to get it even further.
                            NO!!
                            When I moved mine back to where the rear most strap just grabs the Battery (3300 and 4000 6s) she flew great! She still flies great.
                            Now whether that's because I repainted mine and have some decal material forward of the cg, I couldn't tell you, but man she used to do some bouncy landings, now she's a lot smoother.
                            So, it's up to the individual to find there own sweet spot, don't fret too much over the manual, heck I flew mine doing what I describe above before I even looked at the manual recommendations, call me crazy!!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• For those of you who use Varathane, are you taking the plane apart to do your second and third coats? What is best to use Gloss, satin or matte? Is there any problem if you put it on after assembly and then try to take the wings off?

Comment

• Hey Iceberg!

I put my Varathane on with the wings and tail feathers off the fuselage. That way the mating surfaces don't get stuck together and I think gives a cleaner look. Just my opinion.

Roy B.

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer108 View Post
                                  Hey Iceberg!

I put my Varathane on with the wings and tail feathers off the fuselage. That way the mating surfaces don't get stuck together and I think gives a cleaner look. Just my opinion.

Roy B.
                                  Thanks! I already have mine together so I was thinking of removing the screws on the wing and elevator and pulling each out about a 1/2 inch so I do not have to mess with the wires again.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingiceberg View Post
                                    For those of you who use Varathane, are you taking the plane apart to do your second and third coats? What is best to use Gloss, satin or matte? Is there any problem if you put it on after assembly and then try to take the wings off?
                                    Hey Ice, I give her three coats of Spar Varathane gloss after assembly and after decal placement. It helps lock the pieces together, to my mind anyway.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• I did two coats of Minwax with the plane assembled. I don't plan on taking it apart, fits in the SUV just fine fully assembled. If I ever need to take it apart, a sharp Xacto blade should do the trick.

And like Grossman said, it helps seal the decals on the plane too.
                                      Pat

Comment

• Oooooh ooooh, they're back in stock. Order placed! :p

Comment

• Good for you TS, you'll love it!!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X