Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a FL Tigercat a few months old and the graphic numbers and letters are lifting up and in one case on tail, one letter came right off when I checked it. Has anyone else had a problems? I have ordered a new set, is there a sealant that could be brushed on over it, after it is applied?
    Thanks Rick

Comment

• Never had a problem with mine, but i did with one of the P38s. Lost one sticker off the tail. No issues since though.

Comment

• Some of the stickers don’t stick very well even on a clean surface. I use a monokote iron on low to help activate the glue, it works well.

Comment

• The all plastic design of the propeller hub on the F7F can easily fail. What happens is the mounting screw can push through the plastic retainer, resulting in nothing actually holding the prop assembly to the shaft.

The problem is caused by a gap between the plastic retainer and the prop shaft.

In my case it wasn't obvious what was happening because it didn't always happen. Some prop replacements would be fine, others wouldn't, or would only happen after several flights.

At first I thought some batch of the hubs had a manufacturing fault. It only takes a few mm of a gap for anyone to cause the retainer to fail when mounting the prop assembly instead I discovered the problem is the screws used to mount the props to the hub are too long.

Depending on how tightly you screw the propeller blades on to the hub can leave a portion of the screw coming out the back of the hub. The fact the fault was intermittent is because not every assembly had screw tips coming out the back of the hub. No screw tip, the hub assembly sits properly on the shaft and the palstic retainer is supported. If any of the screw tips extend out the back of the hub, the assembly could fail when you tighten it on the shaft.

The fix is to file or grind off the extending screw tips flush to the hub or use slightly shorter screws to hold the prop blades on to the hub.

Ultimately, a redesign of the assembly to something like the one used on the B24 would be best. In the meantime, check your hubs. If you have protruding screws, you probably have weakened or damaged the retainer. I'd recommend replacing the hubs with new ones to be safe. This is too awesome a plane to lose because a prop came off in flight.

Comment

• Respected Gilatrout , all this mentioned is present with all the similar products around the world and it is good that you have written it and warned. I want and need disassemble, control, and reassemble the whole mode l(In mine case Spit 1600). Thanks a lot, this is very useful for me ;)
            Note:I have to admit that FL have the smallest number of construction and other defects on their products.

Comment

• Originally posted by RMatteson View Post
              I have a FL Tigercat a few months old and the graphic numbers and letters are lifting up and in one case on tail, one letter came right off when I checked it. Has anyone else had a problems? I have ordered a new set, is there a sealant that could be brushed on over it, after it is applied?
              Thanks Rick
              I'm having the same problem with my Tigercat and P-38 decals also.
              I followed the advice of George over at TiredIron Aviation, and lightly brushed a small amount of the supplied glue that comes with these foamies on the loose parts and reapplied them and they stayed perfectly in place.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post
                The all plastic design of the propeller hub on the F7F can easily fail. What happens is the mounting screw can push through the plastic retainer, resulting in nothing actually holding the prop assembly to the shaft.

The problem is caused by a gap between the plastic retainer and the prop shaft.

In my case it wasn't obvious what was happening because it didn't always happen. Some prop replacements would be fine, others wouldn't, or would only happen after several flights.

At first I thought some batch of the hubs had a manufacturing fault. It only takes a few mm of a gap for anyone to cause the retainer to fail when mounting the prop assembly instead I discovered the problem is the screws used to mount the props to the hub are too long.

Depending on how tightly you screw the propeller blades on to the hub can leave a portion of the screw coming out the back of the hub. The fact the fault was intermittent is because not every assembly had screw tips coming out the back of the hub. No screw tip, the hub assembly sits properly on the shaft and the palstic retainer is supported. If any of the screw tips extend out the back of the hub, the assembly could fail when you tighten it on the shaft.

The fix is to file or grind off the extending screw tips flush to the hub or use slightly shorter screws to hold the prop blades on to the hub.

Ultimately, a redesign of the assembly to something like the one used on the B24 would be best. In the meantime, check your hubs. If you have protruding screws, you probably have weakened or damaged the retainer. I'd recommend replacing the hubs with new ones to be safe. This is too awesome a plane to lose because a prop came off in flight.

I had the same thing with brand new hubs, resulting in the prop not sitting flush with the shaft, so, I knocked off the protruding tips and they work fine, but its a good idea to check the hub screw as well, I also had one tighten and fail, on the ground thankfully, so I have a few that ride in the spare parts box.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Man with everyone having issues with their props, im wondering if i just go too easy on my plane and not pushing them hard enough. :Straight-Face:

Comment

• here is a pic of mine after assembly right before it rolled off the table

Comment

• Can't count me as everyone :P. Used a 2.5mm ID washer under that hub screw head so it wouldn't pull through plastic.
                      I always use an appropriated sized washer under screw heads that attach spinners to the back plate.;)
                      Only problem I had on the Tiger and Lightning was that foam don't tolerate incineration at all :Scared:
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Man that still tears me up about that damn fire bro. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                          Only problem I had on the Tiger and Lightning was that foam don't tolerate incineration at all :Scared:
                          After your little girl get's hitched, you'll just have to get started on the 83" Tigercat:Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
                            here is a pic of mine after assembly right before it rolled off the table
                            umm.. are you saying that it rolled off? I hope it wasn't smashed up... that sucks.
                            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

here is a pic of mine after assembly right before it rolled off the table
                              :(:( Status??

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

After your little girl get's hitched, you'll just have to get started on the 83" Tigercat:Cool:
                                Along with getting the garage rebuilt ;)
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Along with getting the garage rebuilt ;)
                                  Sending thoughts and prayers to you and you family Bro!!! For blessings in everything ya'll do in the future!!! :Cool::Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

umm.. are you saying that it rolled off? I hope it wasn't smashed up... that sucks.
                                    I went to pick it up and bumped it and before I could catch it one of the main wheels fell of the table and snapped the gear door off. I think I'm going to walk away from it for a while since I'm upset with it.

Comment

• I have an extra gear door set if you need it!! Sorry that happened...

Comment

I went to pick it up and bumped it and before I could catch it one of the main wheels fell of the table and snapped the gear door off. I think I'm going to walk away from it for a while since I'm upset with it.
                                        Easy big Fella!!
                                        I had a ladder fall off the wall and come down on the tail of mine. I couldn't believe that all it did was a slight ding in the vertical stab's leading edge. Out with the foam filler and good as new. She lives a charmed life.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• I am really starting to hate this plane. the tail is separating from the fuse even though I used a generous amount of foam tac. I wish I sent it back when I got it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X