Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got back from putting in the maiden and 3 other flights on my new Spitfire. Wow, what a beautiful flier! It's off the grass in only a few feet and has plenty of power. I am waiting for my graphics from Callie so I flew her naked. She flew so nice, that by the 3rd flight Jeff (CN_Iceman) and I were trying very loose formations. My third and 4th landings were so smooth even with a stiff crosswind by keeping the flaps up. Now to start using my new airbrush and practice first.

Comment

• Grats! :)

Comment

• Originally posted by slamdance64 View Post
        I just got back from putting in the maiden and 3 other flights on my new Spitfire. Wow, what a beautiful flier! It's off the grass in only a few feet and has plenty of power. I am waiting for my graphics from Callie so I flew her naked. She flew so nice, that by the 3rd flight Jeff (CN_Iceman) and I were trying very loose formations. My third and 4th landings were so smooth even with a stiff crosswind by keeping the flaps up. Now to start using my new airbrush and practice first.
        That fenced in area ............is that where people walk their planes?LOLBrad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

That fenced in area ............is that where people walk their planes?LOLBrad
          It is our pit area, but looking at that picture, it looks like a dog park, or a plane park as Brad puts it..LOL

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6577.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	98942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6579.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	98943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6583.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	98944

It was fun flying with two spits in the air at the same time. A little nerve racking but fun. I must admit this plane didnt seem to mind the wind either. Flight 17 in the books

We were going to try and take off at the same time but the wind gusts added to the pucker factory. Maybe next time we can get a video of the two planes at take off.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDN_Iceman View Post
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6577.JPG Views:	1 Size:	127.1 KB ID:	98942Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6579.JPG Views:	1 Size:	161.6 KB ID:	98943Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6583.JPG Views:	1 Size:	169.5 KB ID:	98944

It was fun flying with two spits in the air at the same time. A little nerve racking but fun. I must admit this plane didnt seem to mind the wind either. Flight 17 in the books

We were going to try and take off at the same time but the wind gusts added to the pucker factory. Maybe next time we can get a video of the two planes at take off.
              Three more flights again this morning. I have never tracked the number of flights I have done on any of my planes. So to get up to 20 flights I am excited. What a difference in one week in temperature. This morning is was 7c (43f) at the field. Lucky for me the Spitfire is so agile and quick that I wanted to fly it. My fingers never got cold till I landed lol

Comment

• Here's another heads up about loose screws. Was making one of my usuall nice landings with the Spit yesterday when it suddenly ground looped, tore out a main gear and broke a prop blade. On closer inspection, I realized that the little screw that keeps the wheel going straight had worked it's way out. It goes through the lower part of the strut and slides up and down within a slot in the upper part of the strut. Normally it is the scissor that performs this function but, as with many other models, this screw/pin along with a spring sliding in the slot allows the travel up and down of the strut and maintains longitudinal stability at the same time. Any way, you might want to check those screw/pins and throw a little thread locker in there. Brad

Comment

Here's another heads up about loose screws. Was making one of my usuall nice landings with the Spit yesterday when it suddenly ground looped, tore out a main gear and broke a prop blade. On closer inspection, I realized that the little screw that keeps the wheel going straight had worked it's way out. It goes through the lower part of the strut and slides up and down within a slot in the upper part of the strut. Normally it is the scissor that performs this function but, as with many other models, this screw/pin along with a spring sliding in the slot allows the travel up and down of the strut and maintains longitudinal stability at the same time. Any way, you might want to check those screw/pins and throw a little thread locker in there. Brad
                  Thank you for the heads up and sorry about your ground loop. I will certainly have a look at mine tonight.

Comment

• Hi Brad,

thanks for the advise. I looked at those screws and the set screws and thought about going over then with thread-lock, but then flew it and forgot about it until now.

Brent

Comment

Here's another heads up about loose screws. Was making one of my usuall nice landings with the Spit yesterday when it suddenly ground looped, tore out a main gear and broke a prop blade. On closer inspection, I realized that the little screw that keeps the wheel going straight had worked it's way out. It goes through the lower part of the strut and slides up and down within a slot in the upper part of the strut. Normally it is the scissor that performs this function but, as with many other models, this screw/pin along with a spring sliding in the slot allows the travel up and down of the strut and maintains longitudinal stability at the same time. Any way, you might want to check those screw/pins and throw a little thread locker in there. Brad
                      Speaking of ground loops...I am having nothing but grief with MY spit! So far...2 for 2! She rolls out long and smooth with gradual progressive power applied, gets about 3 -4 feet off the ground and rolls hard over to the left with no way to save it! So far...2 sets of broken props and now twice damaged the wing tip and leading edge...also...this time both of the mains ripped out! I am so very in the dark about what is happening with this bird. The first time, I thought maybe I lifted her off too soon and/or got into the power to sudden...today, I let her roll till she lifted off on her own, and BAM!...same thing as the first time and both times, hard roll to the left...suddenly. I ALWAYS do a tedious and spot on set up, CG 90mm with a Great Planes balance stand and control throws tool, etc, etc. I DO KNOW HOW TO SET UP A big or a small FOAMIE WARBIRD AND FLY ONE TOO...but I dang sure can't seem to even get this one around the pattern just once for a maiden flight! I will listen to all and anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktrooper View Post

Speaking of ground loops...I am having nothing but grief with MY spit! So far...2 for 2! She rolls out long and smooth with gradual progressive power applied, gets about 3 -4 feet off the ground and rolls hard over to the left with no way to save it! So far...2 sets of broken props and now twice damaged the wing tip and leading edge...also...this time both of the mains ripped out! I am so very in the dark about what is happening with this bird. The first time, I thought maybe I lifted her off too soon and/or got into the power to sudden...today, I let her roll till she lifted off on her own, and BAM!...same thing as the first time and both times, hard roll to the left...suddenly. I ALWAYS do a tedious and spot on set up, CG 90mm with a Great Planes balance stand and control throws tool, etc, etc. I DO KNOW HOW TO SET UP A big or a small FOAMIE WARBIRD AND FLY ONE TOO...but I dang sure can't seem to even get this one around the pattern just once for a maiden flight! I will listen to all and anyone.
                        Well I am sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time with your plane Shocktrooper. One thing you might want to check is the lateral balance of the plane. From everything you have written it sounds like a unique issue. While I have not done a lateral balance in a few years I do have one plane I was planning on checking. One of my larger cubs has a issue. I did trace it down the to the motor. You might want to look at the thrust angle. On my spitfire it looks like the center of the nose cone is in the center of the fuselage. Is your turned more one way or the other? I hope this helps or get others thinking of ides.

Jeff

Comment

Are you running a gyro?
                          TiredIron Aviation
                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by CDN_Iceman View Post

Well I am sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time with your plane Shocktrooper. One thing you might want to check is the lateral balance of the plane. From everything you have written it sounds like a unique issue. While I have not done a lateral balance in a few years I do have one plane I was planning on checking. One of my larger cubs has a issue. I did trace it down the to the motor. You might want to look at the thrust angle. On my spitfire it looks like the center of the nose cone is in the center of the fuselage. Is your turned more one way or the other? I hope this helps or get others thinking of ides.

Jeff

I did not check the lateral balance on this plane...I should have though! Perhaps this is the reason it is wiping out to the left...? What with all the 'grand reviews from other user/members here...it never occurred that MINE would be an exception. Gonna repair one more time and check this...considering buying a new set of wings and starting over. Will definitely take a closer look at that thrust angle too. Thanks for the response Iceman!

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Are you running a gyro?
                              No...not running a gyro. Considered it after the first crash, but decided maybe ; "It was just me". Anyone out there running a gyro on this Spit? I have not seen any bad reports that eluded to the possibility of needing one on this bird. Thx for your inquiry Tirediron.

Comment

No...not running a gyro. Considered it after the first crash, but decided maybe ; "It was just me". Anyone out there running a gyro on this Spit? I have not seen any bad reports that eluded to the possibility of needing one on this bird. Thx for your inquiry Tirediron.
                                Just trying to figure out what's happening...she doesn't need a gyro...maybe you need more speed before rotation.
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Just trying to figure out what's happening...she doesn't need a gyro...maybe you need more speed before rotation.
                                  Agreed, lack of speed is the most common cause of this sort of incident, but it could be many other things too. Could you get vid of your next take-off?

Comment

• Hello shocktrooper , I'm free to suggest a few objections, as TiredIronGRB said she need a higher speed, to avoid the stall, also control the thrust of motor ,right and down abt 2 dgrs, then it would be good had a tarmac runway ... i know ,I know... It's too much, but just my opinion.
                                    Cheers
                                    Mes

Comment

• I agree with the replies above. While extremely hard on grass ground speed is required. I did have the longest roll out yesterday and I was happy. I was able to maintain the tail up and rolled for a good 30+ or more before my take off. I do find the plane wants to take off early into the wind. Part of the challenge I have is holding it on the grass before the ground speed is there. On my big Extra I have enough power to take off in four feet so I am spoiled. I am up to my 21st flight now and still happy. Now if the rain would just stop here I would be happier.

Jeff

Comment

• I don't want to insult your intelligence shocktrooper but in the interest of isolating the cause have you checked that you don't have your aileron throws reversed? It's happened to me and pretty darn hard to get it back in one piece if you come off the ground. I of course , as I'm sure you do, check all throws before take off. It's just an easy one to overlook. One other thought, are both flaps equal up and down? Brad

Comment

Hello If you haven’t been able to find a solution ..........I have one more suggestion. Is it possible that you have a bent plane ? If the plane is rolling left there must be some aerodynamic input that is causing the roll and if you have checked that all of your controls are moving in the correct direction it may be worth looking to see if the wings have a twist in them. I have had this experience on another design and I was able to temporarily correct it by inputting a lot of trim and I mean a lot, about 3 mm right and 3 mm left. The plane flew level and I was then able to correct the twist. If you set the plane up so that you can eyeball it from the rear sometimes it’s obvious but it may only take small amount of twist to cause the roll. Not sure if that’s helpful but let us know how you make out.

Comment

Working...
                                          X