You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple more shots...

Click image for larger version

Name:	radial17.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	103540

Name:	radial18.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	103541
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Is that a static display prop and if not what make is it?
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Dang Aros that thing is Beautiful. As you can tell im a Corsair FREEEEK.:Drooling::)
        Dewey l

Comment

• Thanks Dewey!

OV10, no that is not a static prop, that will be the one she will be swinging! It's a Biela 25x10 3-blade prop (photo below)...A monster but the Rimfire 65CC can spin it. Hub isn't scale so I will see what I think performance wise to decide whether I spring for a more scale Varioprop... (Cha ching!)...

Name:	b32510rsc-cr-m.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	103594
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yeah, you can always start out with the Biela for the maiden and followup flights to get comfortable and switch later. I remember I was dissappointed when the prop arrived and I saw that the center was so big....makes the hub look too small. That's one of the bummers about ordering online. Wish the hobby shops were still viable....so much nicer to actually look at a product up close and get a sense of the quality and proportions. Hobby shows are about all we have left in that realm.:(
            Brad

Comment

• Yeah I don't know why the hub has to be that big. I'm sure it can be explained in the engineering of it. I decided to request the 3D crank case be redone larger. There's a gap between the base of the molded crank case on the dummy radial and the base of the 3D crank case, about 1/4" which will cause the prop to stick out too far from the LE of the cowl when everything is in place. In order for the 3D crank case to fit perfectly over the molded piece it needs to be 1/4" wider diameter. Once that's done then the radial is done done.
              ;)
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• With all the energy/time your expending for scale aesthetics you might just as well go the Ramoser varioprop :Cool:
                That looks like the route I'm gonna venture to while pursuing my ESM Tigercat ;)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• When it comes time to bench test, the data is going to tell us a lot. If the numbers with the Biela look good then I will likely maiden with it. But yes the VarioProp is likely in its future. :)
                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                    With all the energy/time your expending for scale aesthetics you might just as well go the Ramoser varioprop :Cool:
                    That looks like the route I'm gonna venture to while pursuing my ESM Tigercat ;)
                    Hey, what the scoop so far on that cat CB??
                    Hope we get a blow by blow like Aros is doing with the Corsair!!

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

Hey, what the scoop so far on that cat CB??
                      Hope we get a blow by blow like Aros is doing with the Corsair!!

Grossman56
                      Still doing my due diligence on all the need to procure stuff. When I do pull the trigger you'll see a thread on it........of course ;)
                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                        With all the energy/time your expending for scale aesthetics you might just as well go the Ramoser varioprop :Cool:
                        Hey OV10, you might check with 70ragtop over on rc groups. I don't know for sure but I think he's got an esm tigercat with the vario props and brushless motors. If, in fact, that is an esm Tigercat he has vs some other brand, he'll have all the poop you will likely need for your setup. He is a real expert on all the ins and outs of electric flight. I'm sure Aros will attest to that. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                          Hey OV10, you might check with 70ragtop over on rc groups. I don't know for sure but I think he's got an esm tigercat with the vario props and brushless motors. If, in fact, that is an esm Tigercat he has vs some other brand, he'll have all the poop you will likely need for your setup. He is a real expert on all the ins and outs of electric flight. I'm sure Aros will attest to that. Brad
                          Thanx Brad .........I'll see if there is anything I can glean from what he's already resourced regarding the mechanicals.
                          As far as the electrical end........meh.......there isn't to many that can top what I do with hop ups of prop driven birds but if he knows a trick I haven't seen before then score;)
                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

• So Todd, just wondering what kind of progress is happening on the build now that the flying season is pretty much done. Your progress has been great on scale details but hoping Chris is getting some work done too.:Cool:
                            Brad

Comment

• Haven't heard much yet...Now that Thanksgiving is over (they had family from across the country over) and winter just about upon us things should definitely get rolling. I'll see what kind of intel I can glean from him this weekend and report back. ;)
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I know, I know...More dummy radial stuff but this is the final show and tell for this aspect of the project. I just got the properly-sized crank case in the mail today. Fits and looks much better. So NOW the FT dummy radial is finished (minus some minor final weathering but that will be towards the end of the build). Overall, I am really pleased with it. Should definitely look the part once installed.

Name:	radial20.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	105522

Name:	radial21.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	105523
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I want to give a shout out to Travis (aka "Redhood" here on the Squawk as well as RC Groups) for his awesome work in delivering me awesome molds for my Corsair. From the oil coolers to the detail elements on the radial, his attention to detail, fair pricing and delivering precisely what you ask is incredible. Think of him as your 3D Printer Go To Guy for ANY aircraft part you desire...The Callie Graphics of 3D Printing! Here's the thread I listed in the classifieds for him...I assume you guys watching this thread can vouch for the quality of his work...

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/th...arts-available
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Looks great Aros. Are you doing anything to get extra cooling air to the Rimfire? They are pretty high kv for their size and do get warm.

Comment

• Good to know Aros, since there should be a bunch of guys looking for someone to do the 3D printing for the B-24. Could be the wave of the future.
                                      Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• As long as he has more air escaping than intake he'll be alright. Too much intake and not enough exhaust will back up and the heat will trap in. Like a dammed up river.

Comment

• Looks great Aros. How about a peek of the dummy in the cowl?????
                                          Dewey l

Comment

Working...
                                          X