You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fan brush is used for blending and works well with some practice, the angled or edged brush is great for lines and such. I personally prefer painting with them.
    Go hang with an artist for a bit Aros, he'll set you straight!!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Yes you can, but a lot of it will also depend on the consistency of the paint. Start off with the thickness of milk and adjust it from there. Layers my friend, layers..........

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Sorry one more thought.
        All of us ex musicians know from experience that if you have a :Cool: amp and a :Poo:guitar, you'll sound like :Poo:, conversely, if you have a :Poo: amp and a :Cool: guitar, you'll still sound like:Poo:.
        Now if you have a :Cool: guitar and a:Cool: amp, you'll sound:Cool::Cool:
        Apply this fact to airbrushes and you'll get the idea:Sun:

Grossman56:Rainbow:
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Streaks(or the lack thereof) while brushing is all about technique as it is with airbrushing too. The more practiced you are the better the results. ;)
          Probably the main reason body/paint shops exist cause there is an art to it.:Smug:
          AND WHAT DAN SAID regarding the guitar/amp analogy LOL (not an EX musician yet Dan, 6 gigs on the books before June...........sweeeeet)
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I am pretty well versed in painting as I have been painting my models for nearly twenty years but always rattle cans. My father painted cars (auto body man) for a living and he was really good at it. He taught me proper technique so I have a good concept on spraying paint but I think the problem is I am new to airbrushing so I don't know the ropes quite yet and I am using a low-end airbrush which contributes to my hesitancy to paint the entire bird with one. Even though I clean it as thorough as possible I still get occasional splatter and coverage is weak. The canopy took a long time to paint and even though it looked good when applying, once it was fully dry I could see streaks and wet-looking spots...Very discouraging. So hence my feelings about painting the entire Corsair with it, lol.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Iwata Neo would work good and you can get it witht he 50% of coupon for like 40 bucks at Micahels.
              AMA 1102566

Comment

• Good to know thanks AkumaZeto!

I have been chatting with Chad Veich of Chad's Rivets to figure out a plan for the rivet detail. He's offered to give me a complete layout of the types of rivets I need. In addition he has a gun sight that would work perfectly for this model...Of course once I saw it I had to have it. He said:

"The pics show it set up for a Hellcat which mounts differently from the Corsair. I've got a Corsair mount as well which you can see in the exploded view drawing that is also attached."

Good thing Brad is going to maiden her for me!

LOL :Silly: :P ;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7412.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	122472

Name:	DSCN7413.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	122473

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	272
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	122474
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Uber cool video. Extra brownie points for the first person who can tell me what the shudder/noise is that starts at the 6:37 mark...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I'd say those were engine misses, possible due to a problem in one of the magnetos given the fact that not only was there the sound but a clear shudder in the whole airframe. I have no way of proving that but.......

Comment

• I believe he was exercising the Hamilton Standard Hydromatic capabilities of pitch control by doing a feathered prop start. :Smug:
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I'm staying with engine misfire but due to engine mixture set too lean rather than magneto problems. If plugs are even partially fouled, the engine will misfire on too lean a setting but can easily be corrected by raising the mixture a little more rich. On engine startup, I noticed allot more smoke than usual which can be indicative of over priming which in turn can partially foul the plugs. It can be due to other things but generally on misfiring like that, the first thing the pilot will do is increase the mixture to see if that's the problem. I noticed within seconds after the shuddering that the engine rpm slowed down,you could see it on the prop, which could be due to richening up the mixture setting. Couldn't see if the pilots' left hand went forward from the throttle quadrant to the mixture levers Only the pilot will know for sure. We'll have to conduct a debriefing.:Thinking:

Comment

• Gentlemen, that is all purely stall buffeting. The first few times he was doing power on stalls. They are a little more violent. The last one was a power off stall, and was rather gentle. You could see that he lowered the nose below the stall in all of them. Then in the last one he applied power after lowering the nose.

Comment

• Brad I think you gave us all a great lesson in engine misfiring due to being too lean but I have to say I think Prowler901 wins the brownie points. After careful review I do think it's stall buffeting.
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I have the paasche H and duel action siphon airbrushes and use a #5 tip to spray latex paints, you can't cover in one coat, two and some times three to get the depth of color you want, plus I paint in the house with a paint booth i made out of one sheet of 1/4in plywood and ducted it out the window. R.
                              AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                Brad I think you gave us all a great lesson in engine misfiring due to being too lean but I have to say I think Prowler901 wins the brownie points. After careful review I do think it's stall buffeting.
                                I agree. I don't know why he did so many power on stalls but no doubt that he brought the nose down following each one.

Comment

• Possibly getting used to the feel of the airplane as it stalled as he did one banking each way and one straight.
                                  Corsair has some really nasty habits if you let it fully develop the stall.
                                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                                    Possibly getting used to the feel of the airplane as it stalled as he did one banking each way and one straight.
                                    Corsair has some really nasty habits if you let it fully develop the stall.
                                    Yes. Probably a requirement of the check ride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                      Good to know thanks AkumaZeto!

I have been chatting with Chad Veich of Chad's Rivets to figure out a plan for the rivet detail. He's offered to give me a complete layout of the types of rivets I need. In addition he has a gun sight that would work perfectly for this model...Of course once I saw it I had to have it. He said:

"The pics show it set up for a Hellcat which mounts differently from the Corsair. I've got a Corsair mount as well which you can see in the exploded view drawing that is also attached."

Good thing Brad is going to maiden her for me!

LOL :Silly: :P ;)
                                      BTW super cool gunsight and the rivets should work out great. MAIDEN......... WTF over!!! O.K. I'll do the "queen" if you do the "go buggy"LOL
                                      Brad

Comment

• LOL LOL
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Yeah and don't be doin' any friggin' power stalls on your check ride either whether it's a requirement or not. It could cause allot of damage:Crying:........................to your shorts.LOLLOL

Comment

Working...
                                          X