You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No power stalls on purpose, promise!! LOL LOL
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I have been chatting with Dave Gianakos, the person who did this wonderful museum scale ESM 1/5 scale corsair:

I asked him what color he used and he said:

I used Tamiya sprays for that Corsair and another one I did very similar that is hanging in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. The dark blue upper surfaces were painted with AS-8 Navy Blue. The lower surfaces were AS-20 insignia White. The lower outer wing panels were AS-19 Intermediate Blue. I like Tamiya sprays, go on very smoothly with proper prepping of the surface to be painted, of course. Let me know how it goes!

:Cool:
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• That's some great info right there. :Cool:

Comment

• Amen brother! No more guessing! :)
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
            I have been chatting with Dave Gianakos, the person who did this wonderful museum scale ESM 1/5 scale corsair:

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/my_web...-gianakos.html

I used Tamiya sprays for that Corsair and another one I did very similar that is hanging in the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. The dark blue upper surfaces were painted with AS-8 Navy Blue. The lower surfaces were AS-20 insignia White. The lower outer wing panels were AS-19 Intermediate Blue. I like Tamiya sprays, go on very smoothly with proper prepping of the surface to be painted, of course. Let me know how it goes!

You bet!!!! right and very cool!!! It doesn't get better than that!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Comment

I have been chatting with Dave Gianakos, the person who did this wonderful museum scale ESM 1/5 scale corsair:

Ha! Looks like I get the brownie points this time for suggesting those colors.:)

Comment

• Yes you do Brad! :Cool:
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• BTW I went back and looked at the video again.............beautiful plane, beautiful restoration, and pure elegance in the air. I do wish he had done a low high speed pass but other than that, it was and always will be the coolest single engine fighter ever made. I never get tired of watching the U bird fly.

Comment

• Ditto!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Well it looks like you have one of the very last ones sir. I guess ESM has ceased production. Very sad news. The announcement is in the middle of the page.

Sponsored by:

ADVOCARE

Comment

• Yes I found out about ESM discontinuing their product a few months or so back. Of course that puts me on pins and needles concerned for the future need for spare parts. Eesh. That's why I bought the upgrade canopy from VQ already. However, I think there's a Top Flight version that closely matches this ESM version...I know the canopy for sure. Not like I didn't have enough pressure already on the maiden.

LOL :Silly: :Sick2:
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by saint View Post
                          Well it looks like you have one of the very last ones sir. I guess ESM has ceased production. Very sad news. The announcement is in the middle of the page.

https://vqwarbirds.com/product-category/coupon-special/
                          Yep....that happen at the beginning of the year. :(
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I had seen someone on another site that made their own molds. I think everything else can be pieced together and or 3d printed. I wish I had that type of skill but leaps and bounds are being made with 3d printing.
                            Sponsored by:

ADVOCARE

Comment

Yes I found out about ESM discontinuing their product a few months or so back. Of course that puts me on pins and needles concerned for the future need for spare parts. Eesh. That's why I bought the upgrade canopy from VQ already. However, I think there's a Top Flight version that closely matches this ESM version...I know the canopy for sure. Not like I didn't have enough pressure already on the maiden.

LOL :Silly: :Sick2:
                              I hear ya Aros on the spares........am in process on the ESM Tigercat. I'm not too excited about the future maiden though.
                              After having all kinds of fun with the FL F7F it is just a natural progression to this. ;) ( knock on wood :P )
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Hey Todd, VQ is showing the Corsair as temporarily out of stock....waiting for the next shipment. Is that incorrect? Hope not>

Comment

• 3DP is really a tremendous new frontier for us in the hobby that's for sure. OV10, natural progression indeed! Hope all goes well for yours with no rash of spare parts ever needed!

Brad, if VQ is out of stock then I would think that's it for them unless they already did have one final order?
                                  My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                                    Hey Todd, VQ is showing the Corsair as temporarily out of stock....waiting for the next shipment. Is that incorrect? Hope not>
                                    Brad...........I'm of the same thoughts as Todd's response about "that's it".
                                    Talked to VQ the other week regarding gear for the Tigercat and it was indicated to me that the ESM inventory that they are liquidating(on sale) is what they have and there will be no more.
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• I got my rattle cans the other day of the Tamiya Navy Blue as per Dave Gianakos' recommendation. Just looking at the caps I can tell that's the color! Sweet.

As far as my discussions with Chad Veich of Chad's Rivets, he has researched the Corsair for me in regards to what rivets I need.:

I've been studying Corsair pictures trying to get a handle on the rivets but the airplane really is a hodge-podge and it's hard to come up with any sort of rhyme or reason. However, I have come up with what I think will flush out the airplane to a believable level and provide plenty of detail to make it visually interesting. I noted in the pictures that the airplane has a great many Phillips type screw heads of a couple different sizes scattered around the airframe as well. A bit unusual for a WW2 bird but I think it makes it more interesting to look at. Here is what I would recommend starting with:

8 thousand .055" diameter by .1875" spaced rivets to go along the panel lines
                                      12 thousand .045" diameter by .25" spaced rivets for the intermediate rows
                                      1 thousand .075" diameter Phillips screw heads for areas such as the tail cone, tail fairings, canopy area, etc.
                                      500 .09" diameter Phillips screw heads for the wing center section in the gull area forward of the main spar
                                      250 .09" diamter Dzus fasteners for the forward fuselage area
                                      250 .150" diameter Dzus fasteners for the forward fuselage and cowl

The recommended rivets are probably spaced a bit further apart than scale but I think it's better that way so as not to make the airplane look to crowded with them. For the screws and Dzus fasteners I would be glad to send you some pictures of those areas where I am seeing these if you need me to.

I love that kind of commitment to his service! And the gun sight he is also modeling and painting for me will be a nice scale upgrade over the cockpit kit's version.

So the little scale goodies and details is on schedule but I am afraid I am in a bit of a holding pattern with the build due to my buddy Chris' crazy schedule these days. Between work, travel and his daughter's volleyball tournaments, build time is shrinking exponentially. Hopefully he will be able to find some time in the coming weeks and months. Stay tuned!
                                      Attached Files
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I thought you might be interested. R.

AMA 424553

Comment

• Thanks for the find! I will be watching that thread...
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X