X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
    Oh, I just thought...I tried aftermarket shades (3D printed) on HL’s stock apple. It may have increased reception range 5 to 10 feet, but even with this its obsolete compared to L’s.
    Yes the sunshade approach is at best a “stop gap” for those waiting to get a better IR receiver.

Comment

• Thank you R99 & SCBob. I'll take the time time to wire up my "L's".

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	69F093A3-FFF5-4E7B-A971-3705CFD5D083.jpeg
Views:	610
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	297643 Tamiya M26 Pershing.

I think I am going to name this tank “Kitty Kill” ! After all it was intended to kill Tigers and Panthers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D29EE538-E800-4868-A583-3412DD2DB445.jpeg
Views:	571
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	297645

Name:	67A2D775-9A77-4BF1-A303-C303FC783D16.jpeg
Views:	594
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	297644

Comment

• Just like last week we had some snow here in the Netherlands. Only this time, it was A LOT for what we're used to!
          So ofcourse I've gotta let my tank out and play in the snow! Let me tell you, moments like this really make that tank come alive!
          It seemed to me like the M41 Walker-Bulldog was made for this kind of driving! It didn't sink away or anything. It just crawled or raced along, blazing trails in the winter white.
          The metal drive sprockets I added recently were a great addition and saved me a lot of annoying issues with the track walking off.
          Aside from the odd time that the sprocket was completely filled with snow (Even beyond the teeth of the sprocket itself) I had no problems at all.
          To anyone out there, get your tanks out and drive them in that snow!

All that was missing is someone to drive (and perhaps IR fight) with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210207_114640.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.2 KB ID:	298302

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210207_164842.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.9 KB ID:	298301

Name:	image_67751.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	298299

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210207_164822.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	298300

Comment

• Hey Dutchy93 great snow fun! Where in the Netherlands are you?

Comment

• Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
              Hey Dutchy93 great snow fun! Where in the Netherlands are you?
              Ik kom uit t noorden van Limburg, in de regio van Venlo. En jij?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchy93 View Post

Ik kom uit t noorden van Limburg, in de regio van Venlo. En jij?
                Nice, that's close to the German border. I'm in Veenendaal, between Utrecht and Arnhem. It looks like we're probably the only Dutch tankers on here, I haven't seen anyone else.

(I'm keeping it English as this is an international forum)

Comment

Nice, that's close to the German border. I'm in Veenendaal, between Utrecht and Arnhem. It looks like we're probably the only Dutch tankers on here, I haven't seen anyone else.

(I'm keeping it English as this is an international forum)
                  Yeah I haven't seen any other Dutchies here in the meantime. It's a shame there are so few tankers in my region. I haven't had the chance yet to try out the IR system

Comment

• I haven't either. To be honest, I wonder how many there actually are in our country. Some online shops sell tanks, but it's difficult to further info. Somehow I doubt this is a big thing here.

Comment

I haven't either. To be honest, I wonder how many there actually are in our country. Some online shops sell tanks, but it's difficult to further info. Somehow I doubt this is a big thing here.
                      The tank hobby is not a big thing anywhere. It may seem it is big in other places but by population numbers it’s about the same. Here on the west coast of the U.S. we have a very high population, 35 million just in the state of California and those of us into tanks have to often drive 1-2 hours to tank meets. And then there are maybe 10-15 people. Some people have driven even longer and farther. The longest I have driven is 6.5 hours almost all of that at freeway speeds.

Now all this is not to say the tank hobby isn’t growing it is. We are seeing more and more people coming out to events and giving it a try. The newer HL tanks have begun to make the tank hobby more accessible (cheaper and easier) and that means growth and change. The entry cost for a good running IR battle tank used to be an easy thousand ($ €), and that has kept people out of the hobby. Today the cost is less then a third to half of that and the choices for tanks has tripled.

Comment

• I've been working on my TUSK2 conversion for my HL abrams; unfortunately, I didn't really fully think through things or realize just how bad some of the surface quality was. This kit is produced with FDM parts, so it's got very visible artifacts of this particular 3D printing process. I can smooth it out with time and some sandpaper... but I probably should have done so before mounting it, lol. I'll figure it out. I was in need of some project work amidst all the goings-on that have been plaguing me, and just got a little too excited. I had my senior dog and best friend of 4yrs pass away in the beginning of December, which was sad but okay - he had a long and happy life with me and as sad as I am for his loss I gave an old abused dog a good home! Unfortunately, I adopted another dog in late December... only to discover a few weeks later that he has a congenital birth defect meaning he's already in late-stage (and terminal) kidney failure. Been a bit overwhelmed with all that, so haven't been doing much work! It's left me drained in every way (including financially), so I just haven't been doing much tanking work.

Regardless, seeing this TUSK kit come together is a lot of fun. Once I do a bit of finishing work and get it painted up this will look great and give me a really unique Abrams that you don't see a lot of in this scale. I have plans to take this project really far in weathering - thinking of doing some wild artistic liberty stuff that I'll show off once I get closer. Been doing reading and some practicing of my weathering techniques on my 1/35 models to get ready to really nail this baby. (apologies for the cluttered desk too - I'm simply not blessed with a very large workspace, heh)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210209_100100_752.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.1 KB ID:	298658

edit: here's a question for the crowd: where's a good source for some thicker than usual transparent plastic I could use to make the bulletproof windows for all these cupola attachments? The usual really thin stuff won't look too-scale at all, but I'm not exactly sure where to find something more suitable or even what kind of thickness that would be. And I don't want to order a ton of sheets of it that I may not use, especially given my current financial situation.

Comment

• I ordered a single sheet of thick Lexan polycarbonate off amazon a couple years ago, dont know how thick off the top of my head but I think its .070 neighborhood. polycarb isnt really necessary for stuff like this and be alot cheaper just to get some acrylic.

Comment

• fuchstraumer

Lexan polycarbonate in .020 or .030 thickness would probably do the trick. You can order 12" square sheets off of Amazon for a decent price. I sheet would be all you need for those windows...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

The tank hobby is not a big thing anywhere. It may seem it is big in other places but by population numbers it’s about the same. Here on the west coast of the U.S. we have a very high population, 35 million just in the state of California and those of us into tanks have to often drive 1-2 hours to tank meets. And then there are maybe 10-15 people. Some people have driven even longer and farther. The longest I have driven is 6.5 hours almost all of that at freeway speeds.

Now all this is not to say the tank hobby isn’t growing it is. We are seeing more and more people coming out to events and giving it a try. The newer HL tanks have begun to make the tank hobby more accessible (cheaper and easier) and that means growth and change. The entry cost for a good running IR battle tank used to be an easy thousand ($ €), and that has kept people out of the hobby. Today the cost is less then a third to half of that and the choices for tanks has tripled.
                              Whelp in any case I'm looking forward to seeing the hobby grow. Honestly, if that was the 'decent' entry price I wouldn't have stepped picked one up in the first place.
                              That price is way too steep for anyone just looking to get started in the hobby. The Heng Long prices are more than reasonable for what you're getting.
                              Especially if you just want to have a fun garden runner to keep yourself busy in these times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaseline View Post
                                I ordered a single sheet of thick Lexan polycarbonate off amazon a couple years ago, dont know how thick off the top of my head but I think its .070 neighborhood. polycarb isnt really necessary for stuff like this and be alot cheaper just to get some acrylic.
                                Originally posted by hilldebrandt View Post
                                fuchstraumer

Lexan polycarbonate in .020 or .030 thickness would probably do the trick. You can order 12" square sheets off of Amazon for a decent price. I sheet would be all you need for those windows...
                                Cheers to you both, I'll give these a look!

Originally posted by Dutchy93 View Post

Whelp in any case I'm looking forward to seeing the hobby grow. Honestly, if that was the 'decent' entry price I wouldn't have stepped picked one up in the first place.
                                That price is way too steep for anyone just looking to get started in the hobby. The Heng Long prices are more than reasonable for what you're getting.
                                Especially if you just want to have a fun garden runner to keep yourself busy in these times.
                                what Heng Long has done for opening up the market is great, and honestly compared to where their quality was at ten years ago we are nearly entering a "golden age" of affordable RC tanks. the quality of electronics and running gear you can get even in their most baseline tanks is absolutely phenomenal - proportional smooth control, higher quality sound sets, barrel recoil, IR compatability, idler adjustments, metal suspension arms, etc. it really sets newcomers up with a solid base to work with, something they can use and enjoy and then upgrade or enhance as they see fit (if they even do, it's less and less necessary as time goes on). working on my M41 hull from 2009 was a huge lesson in just how far they've come, it's kinda wild!

i'm hoping we see new hulls soon but it does really seem like HL has just been buckling down and going for improving the quality of their existing vehicles, putting out new upgrade kits, and improving electronics and controls. it's good stuff (now please just give us a Merkava... and Leclerc... and AMX-30... and M60... and so on lol....)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67890.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	298780 Work continues apace

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaseline View Post

Name:	image_67890.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	298780 Work continues apace
                                    Nice work. I'm debating whether or not to add Schurzen to my Panzer III. I saw some kits for this on German RC shops, not sure about the quality. But I love the look it gives. Just wonder about the practicality on an RC vehicle.

Comment

• I made this out of brass channel stock and sheet, if you can get your hands on some good 3-view drawings its not super difficult. I thought about getting a kit as well but decided they were all too expensive for what they are, and I also was iffy on how durable they were going to be.

Comment

• That's a good idea. As I have to order everything online: What size of stock and thickness of sheet did you use?

Comment

• I used .015 x4" x10" sheet, Id go with something thinner, this was a bit of a pain to bend into shape. The brackets I made from 3.18mmx 1.5875mm C-Channel. the brackets are attached at the top of the turret with micro screws, they arnt scale but they will hold well which was my primary concern, the bottom of the brackets I drilled holes through the side of the turret and had a bit of bracket stick through and used epoxy with flox to glue them in place.

Comment

Working...
                                          X