X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great looking Sherman SoCalBob.

Finished, we are never really finished , the re-paint of the plastic tracks.
    What color was the question. There are many great pics in this thread to choose from.
    I decided on medium dark grayish over the brown-rust combo I originally tried.
    The german ww2 tanks used a steel & manganese alloy. Manganese is a natural medium-dark gray, it would take a long time for them to "rust", When manganese ages it actually gets darker gray before the usual rust color. Besides, how many really lasted that long on either front to rust ?

If the ground around here was not so hard from the lack of rain, I would pick up the natural dirt color from driving it around.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PantherG-tracks2.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	284966Click image for larger version

Name:	PantherG-tracks1.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	284967

Comment

• Anyone knows how accurate the HL molds are? Dai

Comment

• Originally posted by dai phan View Post
        Anyone knows how accurate the HL molds are? Dai
        They range from poor to fair in most aspects, but this gives them just enough to look decent to 95% of their target market which is not modelers, but younger “RTR” RC users. They are nowhere near Tamiya levels in accuracy, but then even Tamiya is not overly accurate on some of their 1/16 tanks.

Being fair in accuracy makes the HL tanks relatively easy to bring up to “good” levels with the right aftermarket parts, paint and a bit of “hobby’n skill”.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherman Firefly.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	285263

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
            They range from poor to fair in most aspects, but this gives them just enough to look decent to 95% of their target market which is not modelers, but younger “RTR” RC users. They are nowhere near Tamiya levels in accuracy, but then even Tamiya is not overly accurate on some of their 1/16 tanks.

Being fair in accuracy makes the HL tanks relatively easy to bring up to “good” levels with the right aftermarket parts, paint and a bit of “hobby’n skill”.
            Since the outline is questionable ( no amount of PE parts, detailing can correct it) , saying they are good enough for static display is quite a huge fantasy? Dai

Comment

• Originally posted by dai phan View Post

Since the outline is questionable ( no amount of PE parts, detailing can correct it) , saying they are good enough for static display is quite a huge fantasy? Dai
              As just static displays that would be entered into a model show or placed on display in a museum, HL tanks would not be my first choice. They are what the are a TOY base to build off of to ones level of want. MANY folks build them up into quite outstanding looking and running models. It takes a lot of work which I have no interest or time for and my hat goes off to these folks for their dedication to the historical art side of this hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

As just static displays that would be entered into a model show or placed on display in a museum, HL tanks would not be my first choice. They are what the are a TOY base to build off of to ones level of want. MANY folks build them up into quite outstanding looking and running models. It takes a lot of work which I have no interest or time for and my hat goes off to these folks for their dedication to the historical art side of this hobby.
                I look at the real Tiger pictures and compared with the HL one. I must say the HL is a representation of the actual thing. In the radio control A/C world, they are called " fun scale or stand off scale". I have seen some well detailed HL tanks on YT but you are right, not accurate enough for static considerations. I think my 7th tank will be a Tamiya because I want to know how detailed they are compared to the HL ones. Dai

Comment

• Hi gang...

Reworked the Torro Tiger crew by repositioning the right arm, puttied and repainted. The dude is held on by hot glue. Dai
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Tunisia 1942!

I took my completed Panzer III L for an outdoor photo shoot.

Name:	Panzer III 14.JPG
Views:	924
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	290572

Name:	Panzer III 12.JPG
Views:	921
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	290573

Name:	Panzer III 15.JPG
Views:	886
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	290574

Name:	Panzer III 10.JPG
Views:	891
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	290575

Name:	Panzer III 11.JPG
Views:	909
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	290576

Name:	Panzer III 13.JPG
Views:	907
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	290577
                    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

• Very Nice Bob.
                      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Bob, your DAK panzerIII looks great. Good job.

Comment

• My stable so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                            Tunisia 1942!

Looks FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC Bob 😁!!!

Just love the long-barreled Sd.Kfz.141...😎

Comment

• Hello!
                              Here are some pics of my M41A3 Walker Bulldog
                              I repainted the hull and did some weathering

Comment

• My HL Abrams. Dai
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                  Tunisia 1942!

Can it run out of the box without any issues? I have had a BAD strings of luck with my recent HL tanks. So bad that I consider Taigen now only. Dai

Comment

• I have 9 tanks: my KT had problems with the tracks coming off the idler. The adjuster fixed that right away. My Pz IV had a tight track; Rubicon recommended some grease on the axle washer which worked fine. Of course, the smokers are problematical, some are better than others. When I upgraded my Stug III from 5.3 to 6.0S, one motor ran backwards. Swapping leads fixed that immediately. On my Bulldog, a wire to the gun was loose causing intermittent malfunction. Re-soldering the connection fixed that. All really small issues. No complaints. Considering the complexity of the mechanisms and electronics and the price points, I'm happy. I compare HL to the one metal Mato tank I owned, which I felt was overpriced and no better.

The cheapest r/c airplane, which I fly a lot, is at least $200 and more often $300, and they break a lot more than tanks!
                                    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

• Little accessory pieces I’ve added to my Tiger 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonk View Post
                                        Little accessory pieces I’ve added to my Tiger 1.
                                        Hey TK, Great details and quite realistic. Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Glad you're on board, Sir. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                          X