Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also followed Doc's advice and used Varathane on my new Pandora. Much better product,looks great and UV protection, can't be beat!

Comment

On the EDF's if you do all of the air intake and exhaust areas with z-poxy or minwax, after a light sanding. You will gain a definite increase in performance....I will be coating my new birds with the Varathane... DJ
      FMS: PT-17, Waco, B-25, P-40, P-47, J-3
      DF: P-51D, Spitfire, geebee, Skyraider
      Dynam: Grand Cruiser, A-10
      J-pwr P-38, FZ Beaver + too many more

Comment

That's what I did with my F-16. Sanded off all the "flowers", filled cracks with watered down spackle, sanded smooth, then several coats of polycrylic.
        Pat

Comment

When a clear canopy gets scratched up, a coat of Varathane will make it look almost like new. Only the larger scratches will still show a little. Wipe it down with alcohol first. Doc

Comment

I've also heard using a floor wax, like Future, will really clean up a canopy and make it shine.
            Pat

Comment

Yep..I use Future on my plastic model aircraft canopies; fills fine scratches and leaves a high gloss shine. Dip them in a container of Future, place on a paper towel to absorb excess, let them dry overnight. Bam!

Comment

Look what Home Depot is carrying on the shelves now. I'll be trying this out on some scrap parts, but I don't expect any issues. So glad they are doing matte now.
                Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                  Look what Home Depot is carrying on the shelves now. I'll be trying this out on some scrap parts, but I don't expect any issues. So glad they are doing matte now.
                  Are you sure that's water based? It doesn't look like their water based spar varnish.
                  Roy B.

Comment

Hey Pat, I see on the can that it says "indoor" the Spar Varathane is outdoor, water based and has a UV protectant as well.
                    Here's a picture of it, I've also seen it on Amazon.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

Yes, it is the indoor version, and yes it is water based. Didn't even think to see if they had the Spar outdoor version. I will be going back to take a look. They just changed their entire display, and Minwax and Varathane both have much more variety. They said Minwax is doing a matte version too.
                      Pat

Comment

Yes, they do, I have that on the P51B, here's a before and after shot

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

As I have stated, I threw my Minwax clear coat away when I discovered Varathane. The quality of Varathane is SO much greater than Minwax. Of all the things I don't like about Minwax, the fact that it is crunchy is no. one. Varathane remains flexible. Varathane has exterior. They have flat, matte, simi gloss and gloss. I am SO sorry I ever mentioned Minwax! Doc

Comment

I hear you Doc. Did the P-51B before I knew about Varathane, now I use it exclusively as well.

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Same here Doc! I use only Varathane now.

Comment

Gman... I use your technique of rubbing it on the plane to remove the mold release resistance. Works great! I now apply it, at least the first coat, with a folded up paper towel instead of a brush or foam brush. Doc

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post

Pat, how did this one work out for you? I'm curious because that's what my Home Depot has as well and I'm looking for a good MATTE sealer for blending in the glossiness of some of Callie's adhesive decals with the rest of the airplane.

Have any of you ever tried airbrushing your various Varathanes?
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Two words Alpha, "well ventilated" it atomizes like there's no tomorrow. That's why I went back to brushes, got more in the air than on the plane.

The product that Pat is showing is indoor paint, you want the Spar Varathane with the UV protectant in it. Especially if its a plane with a dark color such as the Bearcat

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
                                      Gman... I use your technique of rubbing it on the plane to remove the mold release resistance. Works great! I now apply it, at least the first coat, with a folded up paper towel instead of a brush or foam brush. Doc
                                      Works like a hot damn doesn't it Doc?

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

Sure does. Varathane not only looks great, but also secures your decals, pinstriping and paint. Doc

Comment

• So I went back to Home Depot yesterday, and they do not (yet I hope) carry the Spar outdoor version. :(

Since I really need something matte, I went ahead and got a pint of the new Minwax matte polycrylic.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X