• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're gonna love it!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post

Well, here is some follow up to my maiden crash. After buying a new servo tester and letting enough time go by to try to start investigating what happened, last night I pulled it out and started. Did not take but a minute to see something was way off. While going through the "sweep" function, it was obvious the elevators weren't in sync. The first time, I tried it after the blue box, the second time, I did them before the blue box and got the same result. When centering them with the tester, they were also off from one another. I scratched my head staring at it for 10 minutes and then decided to plug in a lipo and see what it did with the tx on. The picture below is what it now looks like with the elevators at neutral on the tx. Let me say, I set this plane up exactly per the manual and we all know how much conversation there was about the elevator neutral point so I spent a bit of time making sure both were right. Before the maiden, myself and another went over it a few more times checking throws and looking everything over. There is exactly a 0.0% chance this plane rolled down the runway away from me with the elevators looking like this. So, whatever caused this is why it rolled right twice shortly after takeoff. My question is what the heck happened. I am truly stumped!! :Thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNgM2vhjg24
      Hey J

Did you ever figure this out?

Had the same thing happened to me on my 6s pnp maiden yesterday. I was gutted to say the least. Had an experienced club member helping with maiden, no wind morning flight. No flaps on take off with a long roll out for more air speed, as soon as it lifted off I was fighting a very hard left roll, kept going inverted, I was only able to keep in the the air for maybe 30 seconds or so. I know the CG was spot on per the manual but it almost acted tail heavy too. I even tried switching on my lemon gyro briefly with no change. The throws were set up per the manual perfectly, I checked and rechecked over several days. All control surfaces were centered fine, even after the crash. The elevators wouldn't center by maybe 1mm on the bench/preflight but they were both not centering together so I figured normal.
      I bypassed the blue box on my F-18c but I had at least 10 flights using it with no problems, I assumed it be ok to use it with the f-22 especially since it showed no bad signs in testing. I don't know that the blue box was the cause and I will be checking into things with a servo tester today hopefully, although everything still functions normal through the tx at the field post crash at least. I almost feel like servo function isn't showing problems until the edf is powered up and maybe with voltage change they act weird? Will try and test this also. BEC?
      I don't know if I should open a ticket or not but it was so strange and out of my control. I've never had anything like this happen, even on a maiden and even though I know it's such a good flying plane I almost want to fix and sell it, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this and at least fly it a day. Damage is a new fuse and canopy.

Comment

• Originally posted by GarrisonR View Post

Hey J

Did you ever figure this out?

Had the same thing happen to me on my 6s pnp maiden yesterday. I was gutted to say the least. Had an experienced club member helping with maiden, no wind morning flight. No flaps on take off with a long roll out for more air speed, as soon as it lifted off I was fighting a very hard left roll, kept going inverted, I was only able to keep in the the air for maybe 30 seconds or so. I know the CG was spot on per the manual but it almost acted tail heavy too. I even tried switching on my lemon gyro briefly with no change. The throws were set up per the manual perfectly, I checked and rechecked over several days. All control surfaces were centered fine, even after the crash. The elevators wouldn't center by maybe 1mm on the bench/preflight but they were both not centering together so I figured normal.
        I bypassed the blue box on my F-18c but I had at least 10 flights using it with no problems, I assumed I would be ok to use it with the f-22 especially since it showed no bad signs in testing. I don't know that the blue box was the cause and I will be checking into things with a servo tester today hopefully, although everything still functions normal through the tx at the field post crash at least. I almost feel like servo function isn't showing problems until the elf is powered up and maybe with voltage change they act weird? Will try and test this also. BEC?
        I don't know if I should open a ticket or not but it was so strange and out of my control. I've never had anything like this happen, even on a maiden and even though I know it's such a good flying plane I almost want to fix and sell it, but I am determined to get to the bottom of this and at least fly it a day. Damage is a new fuse and canopy.
        Sorry to hear. Definitely open a ticket and check everything you can. The more info. you can provide the easier it is for Motion to be able to determine what to do. They took care of JamesonC. A bad servo can influence others to act crazy.

Comment

• Thanks RCJD will probably open the ticket

Comment

• Well, i purchased one of those Assan steering gyros, and installed it. Read on one of the forums about guys having mislabeled connectors from the factory. I just followed the instructions, so will soon know if it will work or not as soon as I get a chance to test it. Anyone else try one of these ?
            Attached Files

Comment

• I have them in my F-22 and A-4. Love them.

Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
              Well, i purchased one of those Assan steering gyros, and installed it. Read on one of the forums about guys having mislabeled connectors from the factory. I just followed the instructions, so will soon know if it will work or not as soon as I get a chance to test it. Anyone else try one of these ?

Comment

• Since I've omitted the bb, and replaced it with the gear sequencer, I ran the sequencer to the receiver, and plugged the Assan to the sequencer.

Comment

• Doesn't matter if you use the MCBe or the sequencer. The gyro goes between the nose retract and the triple Y (however that turns out). You don't want it between the receiver, MCBe or sequencer if you are using a triple Y. If you don't use a triple Y and have individual outputs of each retract it goes only between the box and retract. Same with the rudder input. Only between the Y and nose steering servo if you are using a Y.

Originally posted by scootergenie View Post
                  Since I've omitted the bb, and replaced it with the gear sequencer, I ran the sequencer to the receiver, and plugged the Assan to the sequencer.

Comment

• Thanks Evan, I'll know today if I did it right.

Comment

• Worked great...except when I moved the elevator, the steering moves. Somehow I managed to plug the elevator into the rudder port. Must have been tired last night.....or, it was a senior moment.

Comment

• Beer

Comment

• Dang beer!

Comment

• Got mine done!! Used an older set up from my 90mm F-15 that worked really well in it. Should make this slippery airframe ballistic!! Specs are in the description... what do you think??

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                            I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by Flightsss View Post
                              Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with a very flimsey nose-wheel like iam. This nose wheel is designed very poorly. They mount the steering servo in a piece of wood, you would think they mount the wheel shaft base assembly on wood also. Its just glued into weak foam? Really? I have about 10 flights on my jet and the nose wheel is now soo wobbly and weak i couldn't even take off earlier today. Really screwed up my wing tips after the nose wheel flexed one way really far and tipped the whole plane on take off. Again- this is under minimal, normal usage. Has anyone beefed theirs up a certain way? Great jet, but motion really missed the mark on the strength of the nose-wheel assembly.

I haven't had any issues, but I suspect that is more down to flying off a very forgiving surface as well as having very consistent landings that are easy on the model. If I was flying off a rough grass field, I would be very surprised if the nose gear hadn't given me problems as well.
                              Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• I fly from a somewhat uneven grass runway. I haven't noticed any excessive slop in the nose gear yet. Like janmb, I try to set her down gently. It is also my routine practice to put the nose gear steering on it's own channel and mix it at a lower percentage to the rudder. Really helps reduce over steering and lessens stresses applied to the nose gear mounts.

Comment

• Anyone ever measured the thrust on the 90mm FMS 12 blade motor fan unit? if so please share.

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
                                    Got mine done!! Used an older set up from my 90mm F-15 that worked really well in it. Should make this slippery airframe ballistic!! Specs are in the description... what do you think??

You’re going to love this plane. It’s good at everything... I have the mods for gear doors, slime lights wingtip, and anti-collision lights left to install. You’re using the fan from the 1680 right? That should be pretty fun to watch. I’m about to install a mild 8s JetFan setup in mine. It will be great on flight time, but maybe I’m still curious about the speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by C17loadmaster View Post

You’re going to love this plane. It’s good at everything... I have the mods for gear doors, slime lights wingtip, and anti-collision lights left to install. You’re using the fan from the 1680 right? That should be pretty fun to watch. I’m about to install a mild 8s JetFan setup in mine. It will be great on flight time, but maybe I’m still curious about the speed.
                                      It is loved for sure!! Got 3 awesome flights yesterday with the last flight being my fave! I am using the inrunner housing with freewing rotor and leopard 4092 1730kv inrunner... OMG.... it is such an amazing plane!
                                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Haha I bet. Glad you got one. I’ll be watching for the videos

Comment

• I have more to post... but here is the most fun one after getting used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X