Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably not the smartest decision I've made this week, but just maidened my F-18. Got to the field, and the wind was a 90 degree crosswind, gusting about 10-20. It's too hot to work in my shop for any period of time, so I cannot do the weathering job I want to attempt, might as well fly it. Planned on the first flight with no configuration changes, so gear down, flaps down. All went pretty well, trimmed for level flight with only a few clicks, but I think unfamiliarity with the plane and the overshooting crosswind got me. Classic approach turn stall. About 45 degrees off the runway heading, it stalled and rolled inverted. Luckily, I had altitude to recover, neutralized, rolled wings level, added power and slowly increased back stick, and flew out of it. Second approach, kept my speed up a bit more, did fine, but the x-wind had the jet up on two wheels once on the ground. Not pretty, but safe on deck. Second flight, I flew the jet around clean for a few minutes, but was more concerned with the approach, and got to it quickly. This time, the whole approach was better, but the x-wind was still kicking my behind. Nice touch down, but immediately up on two wheels, and I could not recover. Ended up in the weeds on the downwind side of the runway with a broken sidewinder and missile rack. Easy fix. Done for the day.
    I'm using a Futaba radio with the stock setup, all running through the blue box. Haven't had any glitches or nonsense as of yet. No gyro on these two flights, but I will add an A3-L for the next trip. Took this photo AFTER the flights. Hid the broken missile on the other side!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	206177

Comment

• For me there are two ways Ill go about it. Use what has been proven, so there is no second-guessing. I have come to the conclusions the Lemon Diversity receivers are crap (if i had no choice other than to stick with it, a satellite must accompany it), the older lemon rx non-diversity rx are good but should be coupled with a dsmx satellite

However, my preferred choice to setup for any plane including this one are the following two:

1. AR636 6-Channel AS3X Sport Receiver coupled with the satellite. If the programming tool is properly utilized this would be the best solution out there in my humble opinion.

2. Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer with a Lemon RX DSMX Compatible 10-Channel Receiver + Satellite LM0003 or my most trusted DEVO Receiver 2.4Ghz 10-CH Channel, better than the lemon rx setup with stablizer any day

The blue box will be removed from the equation, and all servos will be replaced with FMS metal gear servos if the project was to be approved. A separate secondary 10amp CC BEC supplied by its own 800mah to 2000mah 2s source will be plugged into a spare 10 channel port, as well asl a 3000uF bypass cap in an additional spare port of the RX.

Everything else can be left stock

With this combination, I am more than sure of a zero % failure rate, because now we are left with a reliable stable system with a fan, battery and airframe. Cost is not the issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carlbrainiac View Post
        Is this the rc geeks centre burner?

check out my signature for my design too. No thrust reductions, custom built to order and customer service like no other!
        Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
        I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by gooniac33 View Post
          check out my signature for my design too. No thrust reductions, custom built to order and customer service like no other!
          Yes I had seen yours as well. Had no idea the competition was so stiff. Never liked the old fashioned led light rings. Always thought they look like ****. But then saw the rc geeks centre burner and thought yup I want that. That looks awesome. Now I wish I had done a bit more homework to see other options. While I'm sure I wont be disappointed with the rc geeks one I do really like the twin option rather than seeing just one centre light when you look closer. And the wiring looks easier being that the light burner simply uses the balance lead of the lipo. Although having said that surely that will mean it will draw more power from just a couple of the cells causing the battery to be unbalanced. Appreciate it would be very minimal though.

Could I have more information on your system please and perhaps some pics of the individual components laid out.

Also what is your price and how much is shipping to UK? That's the other issue I have. Wish someone in the UK would develop one because I got hit by customs with my rc geek one so I'm in that for about £100! Now.

Wish my dad was still alive. He had a City & Guilds qualification in electronics and knew the trade inside and out. He probably could have knocked one up for me for about a tenner.

Comment

Shame I didnt see this before I got the rc geek one. Ahh well.
            No issues, its always difficult to undo what you have already setup that is already working. If you need help and technical advice or pricing, for future projects, please visit the lightburners fb page and drop a PM his response time is fast. Getting your fixture working properly and accurately to custom spec in a sustained timely manner is what matters most.

FYI the lightburner specializes in intense illumination and twin setup, at low power consumption which means less heat dissipation.

Comment

• Originally posted by tengarang View Post

No issues, its always difficult to undo what you have already setup that is already working. If you need help and technical advice or pricing, for future projects, please visit the lightburners fb page and drop a PM his response time is fast. Getting your fixture working properly and accurately in a sustained timely manner is what matters most.
              I haven't installed it yet as I still dont have the plane yet. Been waiting since 14th May and apparently now due 1st or 2nd week of August. So if I was to find a burner that is considerably better then I may consider it and either sell my rc geeks one of keep it for a future project. Maybe see if I could somehow budge it into my 80mm avantis fan lol

Comment

I haven't installed it yet as I still dont have the plane yet. Been waiting since 14th May and apparently now due 1st or 2nd week of August. So if I was to find a burner that is considerably better then I may consider it and either sell my rc geeks one of keep it for a future project. Maybe see if I could somehow budge it into my 80mm avantis fan lol
                in that case i would highly suggest you take a look at the Lightburner for your F-18 and save the RC Geeks module for another project as that route to me seems more appropriate.

The Dual LED afterburner specifically designed for all dual tailpipe 80-90mm EDF models (F-15, F-18, F-22, F-4, F-5, etc.) providing scale looks and excellent luminosity No gluing, cutting or soldering needed! NEW - HV controller for 8S to 12S setups (add $5) Highest quality component, silicon wires all around; do not fall into cheap and unsafe solutions that can potentially risk your model. The LEDs are super bright but safe to touch and will not run hot

Comment

Yes I had seen yours as well. Had no idea the competition was so stiff. Never liked the old fashioned led light rings. Always thought they look like ****. But then saw the rc geeks centre burner and thought yup I want that. That looks awesome. Now I wish I had done a bit more homework to see other options. While I'm sure I wont be disappointed with the rc geeks one I do really like the twin option rather than seeing just one centre light when you look closer. And the wiring looks easier being that the light burner simply uses the balance lead of the lipo. Although having said that surely that will mean it will draw more power from just a couple of the cells causing the battery to be unbalanced. Appreciate it would be very minimal though.

Could I have more information on your system please and perhaps some pics of the individual components laid out.

Also what is your price and how much is shipping to UK? That's the other issue I have. Wish someone in the UK would develop one because I got hit by customs with my rc geek one so I'm in that for about £100! Now.

Wish my dad was still alive. He had a City & Guilds qualification in electronics and knew the trade inside and out. He probably could have knocked one up for me for about a tenner.
                  Thanks for getting in contact! Keep it Lit!!
                  Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                  I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                    OK Woody, I will step off into this fray with you!!! The blue box in discussion is this one: https://www.motionrc.com/products/freewing-multi-function-control-box-e-mcb-e. Not good reports from the Hornets that have flown, but... Unless Freewing has changed something in the mfg. processes, this is the same box used before... I verified this before typing this post. I have the L-39, the F-22, the Flightline F4-U Birdcage Corsair, and the F-18C BA. All use the same blue distribution box. The one thing I have changed on all of these is the BEC and the power distribution used. Using a CC 20 amp Pro, https://www.motionrc.com/collections/battery-eliminator-circuits/products/castle-creations-20a-bec-pro This has two power output leads. One plugs into the receiver, (I use all Spektrum) and one plugs into the blue box in an auxiliary port. That way, the power is distributed to both the blue box and the receiver... Also, cycling the gear after power up seems to be key to steering function. Make sure if you transport the bird with gear up, that the gear switch is in the up position before powering up the plane. Transmitter ALWAYS on first. Low throttle, and set the gear switch to match the planes gear position, up or down. This keeps the box from becoming "confused"... Hope this helps some folks out there, but the servo issue is another can of worms... Same servos in the other birds, but this does seem unusual with all the bad servo reports.... Good luck all!!
                    Great information and I also have these same planes in my hanger. I have had some bad servos showing up when I use the servo tester. Just had the left elevator servo go bad on my L39 but fortunately I check all the controls before taking off (so lucky). I switched the servos on the blue box and the problem followed the same servo... not the BB. The only other issue that I can relate to is the brown out condition if you are throwing everything out at one time. So I agree with you, the UBEC and servos are the weak links and based on these price points MRC really can't be blamed. These are awesome planes!!

Rich

Comment

Thanks for ordering Carl! will ship it out today.

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                        Probably not the smartest decision I've made this week, but just maidened my F-18. Got to the field, and the wind was a 90 degree crosswind, gusting about 10-20. It's too hot to work in my shop for any period of time, so I cannot do the weathering job I want to attempt, might as well fly it. Planned on the first flight with no configuration changes, so gear down, flaps down. All went pretty well, trimmed for level flight with only a few clicks, but I think unfamiliarity with the plane and the overshooting crosswind got me. Classic approach turn stall. About 45 degrees off the runway heading, it stalled and rolled inverted. Luckily, I had altitude to recover, neutralized, rolled wings level, added power and slowly increased back stick, and flew out of it. Second approach, kept my speed up a bit more, did fine, but the x-wind had the jet up on two wheels once on the ground. Not pretty, but safe on deck. Second flight, I flew the jet around clean for a few minutes, but was more concerned with the approach, and got to it quickly. This time, the whole approach was better, but the x-wind was still kicking my behind. Nice touch down, but immediately up on two wheels, and I could not recover. Ended up in the weeds on the downwind side of the runway with a broken sidewinder and missile rack. Easy fix. Done for the day.
                        I'm using a Futaba radio with the stock setup, all running through the blue box. Haven't had any glitches or nonsense as of yet. No gyro on these two flights, but I will add an A3-L for the next trip. Took this photo AFTER the flights. Hid the broken missile on the other side!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	206177
                        Nice Job Marine ... brass balls to maiden with a 20 knot 90 degree cross wind... “NO FEAR”
                        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by RanGee View Post

Thanks for ordering Carl! will ship it out today.
                          Wow! Ran, Response time to ship is unmatched. Carlbrainiac, I cant wait to see your videos after you get it hooked up, its going to be amazing.

Comment

Wow! Ran, Response time to ship is unmatched. Carlbrainiac, I cant wait to see your videos after you get it hooked up, its going to be amazing.
                            Thank you my friend! I always ship the same day

Comment

• Originally posted by RanGee View Post

Thank you my friend! I always ship the same day
                              understand ran i actually knew you would respond right away, im sure our friend from the UK across the pond will be one happy camper.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

Great information and I also have these same planes in my hanger. I have had some bad servos showing up when I use the servo tester. Just had the left elevator servo go bad on my L39 but fortunately I check all the controls before taking off (so lucky). I switched the servos on the blue box and the problem followed the same servo... not the BB. The only other issue that I can relate to is the brown out condition if you are throwing everything out at one time. So I agree with you, the UBEC and servos are the weak links and based on these price points MRC really can't be blamed. These are awesome planes!!

Rich
                                So, what you are basically saying is that the BB isn't the problem but servos (if a bad one is in the model) and the BEC? Please correct me if I did not understand that correctly.

To be honest, after I had a look on the wing connector I really do like the connection. Bypassing the BB would mean to cut out the connector and put in some new wires as at least for me it would be hard to figure out, which wire of the wing connector goes to which servo. Any tips on that?

Keeping the BB also means less mixing possibilities (like inward rudders).

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post

Nice Job Marine ... brass balls to maiden with a 20 knot 90 degree cross wind... “NO FEAR”
                                  Thanks Jay, but more like "NO BRAIN".

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

That's an opinion. I've heard people who were satisfied with the book CG. And some who prefer nose heavy.

So there won't really be a "consensus", unless you are asking a particular circle of users.
                                    Book CG is pretty nose heavy..lol
                                    Planes
                                    -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                    -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• I maidened with the manual recommended CG and I definitely thought it felt nose heavy. I am looking forward to scootin' the battery back a bit for the next flight.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

No issues, its always difficult to undo what you have already setup that is already working. If you need help and technical advice or pricing, for future projects, please visit the lightburners fb page and drop a PM his response time is fast. Getting your fixture working properly and accurately to custom spec in a sustained timely manner is what matters most.

FYI the lightburner specializes in intense illumination and twin setup, at low power consumption which means less heat dissipation.
                                        How low is low?
                                        Planes
                                        -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                        -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Originally posted by thisguy65 View Post

How low is low?
                                          Power consumption is about 0.5A

Comment

Working...
                                          X