X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by James View Post

No, the base gray is not painted over the blue. The base gray is painted on white foam like the blue angels. The plastic bits that one doesn't see after the model is assembled are molded in blue (wing connectors etc). But both versions have 1 layer of paint on white foam either blue or gray.
    OK - thought the first batches were oversprays because where the paint chipped on mine exposed blue, but those must have been the plastic bits (nose, gear doors, tailhook).

But with the BA you still don't have to wait for decals to arrive separately (extra $$$, plus worry if they were sized correctly).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post
      Affirmative, .Awesome stuff, sands and takes paint very well. Home Depot// Possibly,... I get it from the Sherman Williams paint store here in town !! GL
      For Pete's Sake I have a Sherman Williams 1 mile from my house versus Home Depot which is 5 miles away. Geez Todd! (face palm)
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
        Glad you guys aren't being OCD about Hornets, and with that here's my first attempt at weathering a foam jet. Tried to keep it subtle. I need to get some better sidewinders, stole these from the F-4. Gotta get out and fly it again soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1570
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	206637Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1554
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	206636
        This is EXCELLENT WORK! so subtle. Way to go Marine!
        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by e4dragongunner View Post

This is EXCELLENT WORK! so subtle. Way to go Marine!
          The A10 sidewinders work great, almost perfect scale fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
            I dinged my F/A-18C Hornet yesterday when I was trying to unplug my battery...The connectors were super tight and when they finally pulled apart it tore into the edge of the fuse leaving a nice little pea-sized chunk out of it.

Grrrrrrr....

So I am in the hunt for a really good spackle or something similar I can go grab at the hardware store. I have used spackle in the past but the consistency isn't a great match, especially when painting over it. Any suggestions? Help is greatly appreciated!
            Arose,
            even the best foam putties out there, are no match for a hole that big. I’ve found, your better off cutting out a 1” square and filling it in with a slightly larger piece of scrap foam. Then you putty the edges, sand and repaint. I’d use foam from the weapons or tanks or better yet, a piece from a crashed bird. I’ve had large dents in the leading edges and this works great.

Comment

For Pete's Sake I have a Sherman Williams 1 mile from my house versus Home Depot which is 5 miles away. Geez Todd! (face palm)
              I have to laugh at “ Sherman” Williams. Bobaroo called it that and it stuck!! It is Sherwin Williams. Great paint! https://www.sherwin-williams.com/ Click image for larger version  Name:	SWP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	206887

Comment

• https://www.amazon.com/Hobbico-1000W.../dp/B0015GZAUS This works pretty nicely too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post

Indeed !!! Though there is a lot of shrinkage with it, and when this stuff is Painted on, there tends to be a lot of absorption leaving a porous and sunken finish !! When I do use the HobbyKite , I will apply Thin CA over it before painting and that really locks it in nicely. The 'Sherman' is a better filler on EPOJets for most applications !!! Hahahaha

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20171217_082716.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	206890

Comment

• The LEFlaps and Gear Doors are going to really set this one apart from my other projects.

​​​​​​When watching the FSA perform the LowSpeed Maneuvers during displays, pay particular attention to the use of TEFlaps and LEFlaps. Sometimes even in Afterburner, these Flaps are being deployed. There is something to be said for the Aerodynamic advantage they provide in these realms. Why wouldn't you take advantage of these features on your Foamie F/A-18C ?? 'I'mJustSayin'

Name:	blueangels_2_of_3-scaled1000.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	206892

Comment

• So, with the big Tech Warning I am a little paranoid about running with the stock elevator servos. Some guys are using the Hitec 5085 but they are discontinued. Anyone try the Promodeler DS 100? I almost ordered a pair until I hit the order button until they showed a $12.95 delivery charge for 2 micro servos! The cheap old man in me made me rethink the order. Nothin worse than spending close to $500 on a ship then have to replace critical servos for piece of mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
                        So, with the big Tech Warning I am a little paranoid about running with the stock elevator servos. Some guys are using the Hitec 5085 but they are discontinued. Anyone try the Promodeler DS 100? I almost ordered a pair until I hit the order button until they showed a $12.95 delivery charge for 2 micro servos! The cheap old man in me made me rethink the order. Nothin worse than spending close to $500 on a ship then have to replace critical servos for piece of mind.
                        An ageless conundrum to some, a NoBrainer to others !!

Comment

So, with the big Tech Warning I am a little paranoid about running with the stock elevator servos. Some guys are using the Hitec 5085 but they are discontinued. Anyone try the Promodeler DS 100? I almost ordered a pair until I hit the order button until they showed a $12.95 delivery charge for 2 micro servos! The cheap old man in me made me rethink the order. Nothin worse than spending close to $500 on a ship then have to replace critical servos for piece of mind.
                          D85MG there replacement
                          Planes
                          -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                          -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

• Interesting Stuff here !! Cheers

https://youtu.be/LZzmfoS3TH4 ​​​​​​

Comment

Having read the tech notice (despite not having an FA-18), the issue wasn't the quality of the servos, but the process of installing them causing cuts in the wiring. If I read it correctly, so long as your wire insulation is intact and the mounting plate properly attached, the servos should be fine.

Of course, it's not unreasonable at all to consider a relatively cheap servo upgrade worthwhile to make sure a $500 bird remains a bird instead of a $500 pile of scrap foam.

Comment

I have to laugh at “ Sherman” Williams. Bobaroo called it that and it stuck!! It is Sherwin Williams. Great paint! https://www.sherwin-williams.com/ Click image for larger version Name:	SWP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	206887
                                Man I am one giant face palm lately! LOL!!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetman64 View Post
                                  ...even the best foam putties out there, are no match for a hole that big. I’ve found, your better off cutting out a 1” square and filling it in with a slightly larger piece of scrap foam. Then you putty the edges, sand and repaint. I’d use foam from the weapons or tanks or better yet, a piece from a crashed bird. I’ve had large dents in the leading edges and this works great.
                                  Yeah with the bigger boo boo's I definitely use scrap foam to fill, then putty/sand....However, I think this particular damage can be rectified with just spackle, sanding and paint. It's not that large of an area, just enough to piss me off.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Man I am one giant face palm lately! LOL!!
                                    I was not going to comment on this subject at all, but then last night I kept having dreams about it... Totally stupid stuff, but, I had to do it!!! LOL Then I started second guessing myself... I was like "IS IT REALLY SHERMAN???" dang....

Comment

I was not going to comment on this subject at all, but then last night I kept having dreams about it... Totally stupid stuff, but, I had to do it!!! LOL Then I started second guessing myself... I was like "IS IT REALLY SHERMAN???" dang....

Name:	IMG_20190720_130437.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	206908

Comment

• I just did it again! I told my wife "I need to run to Sherman Williams..." She gave me "the look" and said "it's SHERWIN..."

Well maybe they SHOULD CHANGE IT TO SHERMAN!!!
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobaroo View Post

Addressing 'Geometric Perfection'.

​​​​​​ I have similar wants, and correct my Jets to achieve this wherever possible.

I have not seen Symmetry of Design in the FW Jets that I have purchased since maybe the MiG-21 and F-15C. F-4/A-4/F-22 and again here on the F/A-18C,... All of these Jets have Asymmetry in the Flap Arrangement/Layout on these models. Replacement Servos corrects this for me. I can achieve Symmetry (Geometrically Perfect) under there by simply repositioning a Flap Servo. I am not sure why this is not done for us since the BB or a Reversed Servo installation from the factory can correct this. The Geometrically Imperfect Flap Arrangement can be seen very clearly below. 'I'mJustSayin'

As far as surface Deflection is concerned, I'm afraid that is far more difficult due to Twisting and Shifting of these EPO Foam control surfaces from Exposure to the Sun. Most flights require trim adjustments anyway because I fly with multiple/various Ordnance packages and these too create their own specific trimming requirements on any given flight.

Name:	044 Eating grass.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	206833
                                          understand

but uggh this is why i dont like belly landing it messes up the airplane underside way too much

Comment

Working...
                                          X