X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post

I understand. Many years ago, after seeing Southern Pacific's transfer caboose, SP-1, on a siding, I commented to a hobby shop employee about kit-bashing a regular HO scale bay window caboose into a model of it. He almost sneered when he said it couldn't be done.

I made a darned nice model of it, though I don't recall ever taking it back to that hobby shop to see if I could make him eat his words. Received numerous compliments on it at other hobby shops, though.
    Absolutely, ive been studying these 3d printed designs, and coming up with ideas for this and the N9m project. Gonna be learning fusion 360 from my son soon, then its game on. Lots of ideas in the future!:Cool:

Comment

• I was floored when I saw it and had to really work to suppress my laughter. I told the guy I just had to have a picture. I'm surprised he let me. I soldered it correctly with a new deans for him. Everyday I'm amazed by what I see what's worse is a majority of these people can't understand why it won't work................................I had a I.T. guy in yesterday the couldn't understand the binding process on a BNF as I was showing him he actually recorded the process on his phone. I could go on and on................................................ ..........

Mike
      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Zip Tie For The Win! MikeT, thanks for hanging in there, I know it's not always smooth landings in a job like that, but I believe you're on the front line of this hobby and that counts for a lot. Respect.

Riflman, you'll enjoy Fusion 360. I use it, and encouraged RCJetDude to learn it and by the looks of things he's off to the races. You'll be there soon! It opens up a world of possibilities, and for individual hobbyists like you two, Fusion 360 is completely free.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
          Zip Tie For The Win! MikeT, thanks for hanging in there, I know it's not always smooth landings in a job like that, but I believe you're on the front line of this hobby and that counts for a lot. Respect.

Riflman, you'll enjoy Fusion 360. I use it, and encouraged RCJetDude to learn it and by the looks of things he's off to the races. You'll be there soon! It opens up a world of possibilities, and for individual hobbyists like you two, Fusion 360 is completely free.
          Agreed. I retired and the LHS needed a air guy ( my rocketry experience comes in handy also) and I figured what the heck. I'm down to 3 days a week. I get to help the local clubs and the new guys looking to get into the hobby so in the end it's a win. The crazy stuff sure breaks up the normal day to day.

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
            I was floored when I saw it and had to really work to suppress my laughter. I told the guy I just had to have a picture. I'm surprised he let me. I soldered it correctly with a new deans for him. Everyday I'm amazed by what I see what's worse is a majority of these people can't understand why it won't work................................I had a I.T. guy in yesterday the couldn't understand the binding process on a BNF as I was showing him he actually recorded the process on his phone. I could go on and on................................................ ..........

Mike
            We have a saying in the IT field "USER is a four-letter word". And in my case, LHS don't help because I'm a pilot in a train engineer area, and the closest with aircraft parts is over an hour away, is pretty much a Horizon dealer, and seldom has what I went there for, even if it's a simple E-flite product, like a battery.

Comment

But you'll miss em when they are gone. Trust me I've heard it all while standing behind the counter. While maybe you could do the mod to that caboose but trust me 99% of the people that walk through the door that think they could do it but will bring it in and expect me to do it for them and of course fro free. Here's a example of one of our customers handy work and this guy was a engineering professor at the university here.

Mike
              And that is bad why???? :Silly::Drooling:LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Damn...…..

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                LOLwow, love that zip tie mod lol!
                Awesome Bro!!! But don't you insulate all your positive wiring like that!!! I do!!!!!!!!! :Scared::Confused::Thinking:;)

Comment

But you'll miss em when they are gone. Trust me I've heard it all while standing behind the counter. While maybe you could do the mod to that caboose but trust me 99% of the people that walk through the door that think they could do it but will bring it in and expect me to do it for them and of course fro free. Here's a example of one of our customers handy work and this guy was a engineering professor at the university here.

Mike
                  It wasn't so much his doubt or questioning whether it could be done. It was his attitude. I don't mind if a shop owner or employee advises me against something. I don't mind if they think some project or idea will be too difficult to accomplish. What I do mind is store owners or employees projecting an attitude of derision. I'm in there to spend money, which, while my purchases alone aren't going to keep the store in business, does contribute to their continued success. If, however, a store treats me poorly - if by their actions or attitudes they convey the message to me that my business doesn't matter to them - then I'll take my business somewhere that does want it. I don't expect store owners or employees to kiss my ass (though I know there are ample customers who do expect that), but at the same time, I won't tolerate being expected to kiss theirs, either.

As far as the soldering job, it's clear that was an engineer that never, EVER, worked as a technician. Sadly, too many people go straight from High School to college/university for an engineering degree, and skip working in the field they want to specialize in, thereby losing the benefit of practical experience.

Comment

• I just dropped in to say every time I go to any Hobby Squawk thread, I see that B-24 add up there. It always reminds me how much I'd love to see a B-17 of the same 2 meter size. I don't think anyone else is doing one that size and I'm guessing the motors and other parts from the B-24 could be used on the B-17 which would save some production costs.:Cool:I'm not going to claim, as some have, that it would outsell everything else and you would be a" bonehead" not to produce it but it is an iconic example of what this country's industrial might can produce. I love this plane and would love to see it,and buy it, in a decent scale..

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                      I just dropped in to say every time I go to any Hobby Squawk thread, I see that B-24 add up there. It always reminds me how much I'd love to see a B-17 of the same 2 meter size. I don't think anyone else is doing one that size and I'm guessing the motors and other parts from the B-24 could be used on the B-17 which would save some production costs.:Cool:I'm not going to claim, as some have, that it would outsell everything else and you would be a" bonehead" not to produce it but it is an iconic example of what this country's industrial might can produce. I love this plane and would love to see it,and buy it, in a decent scale..
                      Put me down for 2000mm or even larger B-17 also, I'm with you downwindleg. I also think a lot of the B-24 equipment could be incorporated in a B-17. Me want one!:Cool:
                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Put me down for 2000mm or even larger B-17 also, I'm with you downwindleg. I also think a lot of the B-24 equipment could be incorporated in a B-17. Me want one!:Cool:
                        Did you ever see the original 12 o'clock High?
                        :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

• I am all for a 2000mm plus (heavy on the plus) B-17. I like my Hobby King 1875mm V2 B-17 as it looks so sweet in the skies but the quality is nowhere near FlightLine quality. I would be thrilled with a FlightLine 2000mm+ B-17!
                          My YouTube RC videos:
                          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Could also up the wadger a bit and add a 2200mm B29 with 6s power:Silly::)

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                              I just dropped in to say every time I go to any Hobby Squawk thread, I see that B-24 add up there. It always reminds me how much I'd love to see a B-17 of the same 2 meter size. I don't think anyone else is doing one that size and I'm guessing the motors and other parts from the B-24 could be used on the B-17 which would save some production costs.:Cool:I'm not going to claim, as some have, that it would outsell everything else and you would be a" bonehead" not to produce it but it is an iconic example of what this country's industrial might can produce. I love this plane and would love to see it,and buy it, in a decent scale..
                              Recently I modified a new HK 1875mm B-17 with the Flightline B-24 power set-up. We maidened it last week and it flew very well. There were only two flights that day but more test flights are on the schedule. For me, I would love for FL to come out with a nice large B-17! If it had the quality of the Flightline offerings of late, I would be tempted to replace my considerable B-17 fleet!!

Bob

Comment

• +1 on b29, I only have room for 1 bomber, the 29 just so sweet (b24 power system likely also applies here) (ok maybe 2, B1B !! :o)
                                rc flyin addict

Comment

• I picked up the WOW Planes B-29 kit years ago. Just because I figured it was my only shot at building a 29. It's still sitting in the box along with a number of other things waiting to get built. I'm afraid I'm running out of time to finish all these bucket list projects.

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                                    +1 on b29, I only have room for 1 bomber, the 29 just so sweet (b24 power system likely also applies here) (ok maybe 2, B1B !! :o)
                                    +2! I don’t have much room left in the hangar, but I would ABSOLUTELY make space available for a B-29, or a B-1B!

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.frankenjet View Post
                                      +1 on b29, I only have room for 1 bomber, the 29 just so sweet (b24 power system likely also applies here) (ok maybe 2, B1B !! :o)
                                      As all ways I WANT SILVERPLATE. But give the teeming masses their OV-10s first, for many have been patient and supportive and should have their reward.

Comment

I picked up the WOW Planes B-29 kit years ago. Just because I figured it was my only shot at building a 29. It's still sitting in the box along with a number of other things waiting to get built. I'm afraid I'm running out of time to finish all these bucket list projects.

Mike
                                        Well CHOP CHOP my friend! No better time than the present! :Cool:
                                        My YouTube RC videos:
                                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post

Well CHOP CHOP my friend! No better time than the present! :Cool:
                                          LOL no time CD'ing A IMAC Contest this weekend here it will take me weeks to recover.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                          X