Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davegee About 5 hours. It sounds like a lot but to fly from an actual rc field was well worth it. I think Cody is about the same, but with an airfield in Riverton to get out and stretch the legs along the way.

Yeah, there was a 6s F4 and an 8s F4. They both looked like they perform amazingly well. Though the 8s did have space shuttle launch qualities at times!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
      davegee About 5 hours. It sounds like a lot but to fly from an actual rc field was well worth it. I think Cody is about the same, but with an airfield in Riverton to get out and stretch the legs along the way.

Yeah, there was a 6s F4 and an 8s F4. They both looked like they perform amazingly well. Though the 8s did have space shuttle launch qualities at times!
      I'm awaiting a new nose gear retract unit in the mail today. Last flight, I accidentally landed right on the lip of the approach end of the runway. It immediately broke the left main gear steel connector pin, and broke the nose gear retract unit. I had a spare gear pin, put on a spare nose cone (it sanded down the foam antenna housing on the bottom somewhat) but that is repairable. Other than that, the plane wasn't damaged. Up to that point, it was flying beautifully, silk smooth air around 8 pm.

I have gotten into the habit of starting the takeoff roll with this airplane from the very beginning of the runway, as it takes a lot of runway to lift off. Normally, while it is in the air, I start walking down the side of the runway while flying it, so that my visual point for landing is further down the runway, but at a point where it won't run off the end, especially with the brakes that I have for it. I didn't do that that time, and although it landed about where I was expecting it to, but had the misfortune of just hitting that raised lip of the runway.

Lesson learned, and hopefully this won't happen again. This error was Totally my fault, the plane is really flying wonderfully right now. I might possibly buy another one some day, or the Freewing F-18.

If you're interested in the F-4, I think once you get everything dialed in properly and fly it several times, you'll really like it. For myself, I think the 6S power is sufficient, I probably won't delve into the 8S at this time, anyway. I used to have the SEA camo scheme F-4C that is now retired to the Civil Air Patrol. It was also a good flyer, but developed a whole bunch of electrical issues where I decided it wasn't worth it trying to figure out what was going on with it, It has a nice home in a hangar suspended above their Cessna 182 search and rescue plane. I gave a little talk to the cadets for the installation ceremony about the history of the real airplane and its pilot, Col. (later Brig. General) Robin Olds. It was fun.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

• davegee forgot what EDF you have in it now. I finally put the 12 blade 1835 Kv inrunner in both (actually now in all my 90 mm's) after swapping out the original 9 blade 1750 Kv outrunners it first came with. For me, it now get's off the grass in less than 100 feet, so if yours still has the older stock outrunner, it may be worth upgrading to either inrunner. I will say mine flew completely differently after the upgrade, IMO, just outstanding.

Missing the runway on landing is something we all have done, for me, when I miss it it's always just off the edge instead of the beginning of the runway, catching the high grass always results is something requiring repairs.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• davegee Your Jolly Rogers F4N is superb! Hopefully it didn't suffer too much nose damage!
          I like the SEA camo but I think the navy/marines version is what I want. I pretty much have to get a Freewing F4. At the Jet Jam I was very kindly given a 3D printed gun pod for the F4. Though in searching for a livery, I am having trouble finding any information on whether any Navy or Marines Phantom's used the gun pods or not. It wouldn't be that bad if I had to get the USAF version to fit the gun pod but hopefully I will find an accurate record of them being used on a Navy or Marines F4.

Comment

davegee Your Jolly Rogers F4N is superb! Hopefully it didn't suffer too much nose damage!
            I like the SEA camo but I think the navy/marines version is what I want. I pretty much have to get a Freewing F4. At the Jet Jam I was very kindly given a 3D printed gun pod for the F4. Though in searching for a livery, I am having trouble finding any information on whether any Navy or Marines Phantom's used the gun pods or not. It wouldn't be that bad if I had to get the USAF version to fit the gun pod but hopefully I will find an accurate record of them being used on a Navy or Marines F4.
            Hi SanExup: I have a pretty good book on Navy/Marine versions of the F-4. I'll see if any of them had the gun pod. That was a Huge mistake relying on rockets alone for combat! They later added things like a gunpod to make it a better air to air fighter.

I'll let you know if I have anything that will help you.

My F-4N is ready for flying again. Could have been worse. I've learned a valuable lesson, although it was almost a freak event that caused it to get damaged like that.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
              davegee forgot what EDF you have in it now. I finally put the 12 blade 1835 Kv inrunner in both (actually now in all my 90 mm's) after swapping out the original 9 blade 1750 Kv outrunners it first came with. For me, it now get's off the grass in less than 100 feet, so if yours still has the older stock outrunner, it may be worth upgrading to either inrunner. I will say mine flew completely differently after the upgrade, IMO, just outstanding.

Missing the runway on landing is something we all have done, for me, when I miss it it's always just off the edge instead of the beginning of the runway, catching the high grass always results is something requiring repairs.
              Thanks, Hugh. I'll certainly consider it for the next F-4 I get. This was a total Pilot Error mishap, I just misjudged its approach angle and touched down on the mains right where that lip of the runway was. Before that occurred, it was one, maybe The best flight I have had on this airplane. The sky was super smooth, just before sunset, and that plane just Ripped through the air in "afterburner." I really like the way it handles even on the 6S outrunner, although I'll concede that it would undoubtedly fly faster and probably better with the rig that you suggest. Take care.

cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Thanks, Hugh. I'll certainly consider it for the next F-4 I get. This was a total Pilot Error mishap, I just misjudged its approach angle and touched down on the mains right where that lip of the runway was. Before that occurred, it was one, maybe The best flight I have had on this airplane. The sky was super smooth, just before sunset, and that plane just Ripped through the air in "afterburner." I really like the way it handles even on the 6S outrunner, although I'll concede that it would undoubtedly fly faster and probably better with the rig that you suggest. Take care.

cheers

davegee
                For me, I'm not really interested in it flying faster than it did with the outrunner. The real benefit is in take-off distance and it's ability to climb and do vertical maneuvers so much easier and smoother. I actually don't fly it cruising any faster, resulting in using a bit less throttle but when I punch it, it's got "giddyup". Before with the outrunner I had to be careful in Split S's, Cuban 8's and loops as sometimes it labored at the top and if I gave it too much elevator, it had a tendency to occasionally stall and get a little wonky as it was inverted at the top of a loop. No longer and these maneuvers can be done at full throttle down to 70% throttle without loosing elevator authority.
                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

For me, I'm not really interested in it flying faster than it did with the outrunner. The real benefit is in take-off distance and it's ability to climb and do vertical maneuvers so much easier and smoother. I actually don't fly it cruising any faster, resulting in using a bit less throttle but when I punch it, it's got "giddyup". Before with the outrunner I had to be careful in Split S's, Cuban 8's and loops as sometimes it labored at the top and if I gave it too much elevator, it had a tendency to occasionally stall and get a little wonky as it was inverted at the top of a loop. No longer and these maneuvers can be done at full throttle down to 70% throttle without loosing elevator authority.
                  A shorter takeoff roll for me would be good, as we have a fairly short and bumpy runway; it's adequate, though, for a jet with 6S Outrunner power. But I will definitely keep an inrunner swapout in mind. Might get an F-18 by Freewing to supplement my jets. I think I could operate it ok out of our field. I'm inspired seeing pics of your beautiful Hornets!

Comment

• Yep, Andy Cooley flies his Tomcat off our runway as well as the HSD T33 and some other turbines.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5178.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	319839Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5183.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	319840Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5188.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	319841Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5195.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	319842
                    Maiden of the T33.

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

• This was yesterday. Still legal for this thread?! It was a beautiful day in Central Ohio.

Name:	B80B432B-DB04-4DB8-89D6-B026BEF77EC2.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	319849

Comment

• Nice planes! 👆

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowing's Girl View Post
                          Maidened my 1/4 scale Tiger Moth today. Five beautiful flights then home to the hanger.. safe and sound!
                          Well my friends girl ,about time you joined.
                          How did I miss this post earlier
                          It's a beauty and wish I was there to see it's maiden, but I'm sure I'll get to see it at the Festival of Giants
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Off to the field with four planes that I actually managed to fit in!
                            I sold the Apprentice to a buddy of mine to fund the Bearcat and he wanted to see how it flew today. Set up his radio and flew it for the first time in about three years, she flew great. My friend started out with an Apprentice and was working into Pandoras when he switched to drones. He has drones down pat now but wanted to get back into planes. I buddy boxed with him a couple of times on P-2 and it's coming back to him. I walked him through the landing with the Apprentice and explained how to keep the nose level and use the throttle to descend. Actually, the Apprentice will descend nicely without throttle, so its more of a 'make sure you are going to reach the end of the runway' kind of a thing, but if you think of it as controlling decent with throttle now, you will think the same when flying something hotter.
                            I had everything from Pandora 2 to the RV-8 up today and everything flew fine. Big Beautiful Doll flies awesome every time, especially with the 650kv in her, but nothing is more awesome than the Bearcat with a 650kv and the 1400mm Corsair prop. She's undoubtedly the second fastest airplane in the fleet when I let her rip, second only to the Avanti. Great day but the wind and smoke started in again so called it a day, Everyone came home with no damage. Even though that's getting to be the usual thing, it still makes for a great day!
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	20210801_111415.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	320586Click image for larger version  Name:	20210801_111437.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.7 KB ID:	320587Click image for larger version  Name:	20210801_111610.jpg Views:	0 Size:	307.4 KB ID:	320588

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• My son brought his A-10 with the mig-29 fans in it. he flew for 5 minutes this time out and used just over half of the batteries. will do 6 next time out, the problem is getting the same throttle position each time using 1950ma in one flight and 2400 ma in the second. he also brought his fl spit and wanted to do formation and txted me but i did not look til at the field. i brought the e-flite fw190 way slower than the spit and large envelope deltas is a good way to get in trouble so no formation. only his second flight on it but he's really enjoying it.

Joe
                              Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Back out today and got a couple of flights in before the smoke started moving back in. Looked like a storm front was moving in as well, so called it a day. I wish we would get a good rain again and clear some of the crap that all the other states donate to us every year. No, I don't mean the tourists

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                  Back out today and got a couple of flights in before the smoke started moving back in. Looked like a storm front was moving in as well, so called it a day. I wish we would get a good rain again and clear some of the crap that all the other states donate to us every year. No, I don't mean the tourists

Grossman56
                                  It's been raining here, I flew anyway. I kept having to slide the planes under my truck and and hideout until the cells would pass. By the way, the rain clears out the smoke for about a day or two and then it comes back, just like the tourists. 😁

Comment

• here in the peoples republic of new york we had 8.5 inches of rain in July, new record by 2.25 inches. some of my club members joined me flying in the rain. yes, our electric planes will fly in the rain.

Joe
                                    Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

It's been raining here, I flew anyway. I kept having to slide the planes under my truck and and hideout until the cells would pass. By the way, the rain clears out the smoke for about a day or two and then it comes back, just like the tourists. 😁
                                      That's what we're getting as well. Right now at 8:30 am its cloudy and threatening rain, 66 degrees. Have batteries charged and ready but I'm waiting to see what happens, explains why I'm here!

Grosssman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Flew some oldies this morning. Always gives me a boosted appreciation for ESCs, Li/Po batteries, and electric motors.😂

Name:	091FDF5A-D118-4457-974F-474B05FD03A0.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	320752

Comment

• Got out today with the Grumman twins! Haven't been able to fly anything light colored because of the smoke, but the last couple of days have been great!

Name:	20210811_095554.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	321634Click image for larger version

Name:	20210811_095539.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	321635 Going back out tomorrow at 8:30 am, Dave if you can make it that would be great!

Grossman56
                                          Attached Files
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X