Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got around to repairing my Rotorscale 450 AS-350. Here is a shot from this evening in my backyard...

Backyard action with Rotorscale AS-350 - Jan 20, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
      Finally got around to repairing my Rotorscale 450 AS-350. Here is a shot from this evening in my backyard...

Backyard action with Rotorscale AS-350 - Jan 20, 2021
      Nice! Glad you got it back in the air!

Comment

• Got in 16 flights today on my F-16 Wild Weasel, the SU-30, the Spitfire, Stinger 90 and my 60" Extreme Flight Edge Demonstrator. Gorgeous day with lite winds and 72 degrees. We had a dozen pilots out most of the day, with the majority (over 10) of the aircraft being large turbines . Only a couple of us had "little" electrics, but we all managed to fly each time alone, with only a few times with 2 aircraft in the air. Very courteous pilots.

Part of the reason we had so many in the middle of the week was of course the weather but some pilots (also members at our field) came down to our field from another field further north that was closed, Markham Park, their usual field (and I'm also a member there but won't fly there anymore). Markham is a great field in a county park with an asphalt runway however it is used by 2 different clubs plus open to anyone. The brain dead county officials had some of the most ridiculous rules in place last year, making flying almost impossible, but they just came up with NEW rules! The airfield is now closed 5 days a week and only open on Sunday and Monday. Gee, I didn't know the virus only works 5 days a week and takes Sunday and Monday off. All this did was make those 2 days a zoo, way too many pilots (and most of them real yahoos) crammed into close quarters with 5-6 aircraft in the air at once. Check out RC Chaser's video called Sunday Mayhem at Markham. Horrible landing after Horrible landing and 2 mid-air crashes. These county officials have their heads up their, well, you know where. So they now have super spreader events twice a week. I've always called the park Markham Mayhem Park but now it's insane. Most of our members at AMPS used to fly there but moved down to our club years ago. What a shame, the field is one of the best in Florida but it's fly at your own risk and get ready for some repairs.

Anyway, finally got 4 consecutive flights on the F-16 with a Hobbystar 8000 after flying mostly an HRB 6000. I always liked the F-16, but now I'm in love with it. About 5 minutes of aggressive flying and honestly could not tell the difference in the heavier 8000 except for an additional 1 1/2+ minutes of air time. Took off the grass in the same distance and had great vertical performance. I am using the 12 Blade inrunner, a slightly larger nose wheel and flaperons so grass ops Ain't No Big Thing". Can't beat over 5 minutes in a 90mm EDF F-16. Also finally got my SU-30 to fly well, only because I tried a lighter 5000 battery from the RT 5500 or HRB 6000 I usually use. The SU-30 won't fly at all (no vertical) with the 8000 and was just kind of a heavy pig with the 5500 and 6000. But the 5000 GreyPower (don't ask me where I got them, they're new test batteries from some great hobby store but aren't available to the public yet) really livened this pig up. It now flies great and I got the same airtime as with the heavier 6000. After about tedious 50 flights since I got it, it's now earned a spot on the "first string".

Of course the Extreme Flight Edge, MRC Spitfire and Stinger 90 flew outstanding as usual. RudyD54 also brought out his Spitfire and we got a couple RAF formation flights in, a real blast (especially since we managed not to have a mid-air meeting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210121_122533.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	295587Click image for larger version

Name:	20210121_122508.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	295588Click image for larger version

Name:	20210121_160805.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	295589 Only one of these looks scale, and you probably don't have to guess who's is who's!!!
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I was out in the Cold flying these two. Can you guess which one is faster LOL!!!!. The V-1200 is hard to see at times on a blue Sky or partly cloudy day. So when I got home earlier I started adding some contrasting Color to it. Then ran out of the Red paint I use, so I will have to finish what I have planned for the top side tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	x1200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	295596Click image for larger version  Name:	TV1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	295597

Comment

• Hugh is Markham Park the one with the freeway in the background ? If it is how do they get away with flying so close?.. the freeway maybe further than it looks!! Would love to have a go at a runway like that

Comment

• Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
              Hugh is Markham Park the one with the freeway in the background ? If it is how do they get away with flying so close?.. the freeway maybe further than it looks!! Would love to have a go at a runway like that
              Yes, the elevated expressway is just beyond the field to the right (East-our prevailing wind direction) in the background as the aircraft take off, but is actually a little farther away than it looks. It's a terrific field, open area in 3 directions (West/North/East) with a nice asphalt runway, but unfortunately every kamikaze pilot south of the Artic Circle flies there. And with the new "rules" handed down by the brilliant county officials, it's a total disaster. I started my RC flying career there some 8 years ago and really loved the field and it's facilities, but finally left it (although still a member there and go maybe once or twice a year) because it was tough to deal with the insane pilots that go there (got rear ended several times by idiots not giving a damn or knowing any better). I now fly at AMPS field, that has a E-W and N-S grass runway and we're out near the Everglades well away from any nasty virus's (only closed down for a month back in March, so to hell with the virus shutdowns, we're all maintaining safe procedures and can take care of ourselves). All we have to deal with are the occasional alligators, a few pythons and herds of dear grazing on the runway early in the morning or at dusk. But if you hit one, it's venison steak for dinner!!!! A lot of our members at AMPS are former Markham Park members who, like me, got fed up with the "crowd" of morons. A typical day at Markham can be seen in RC Chaser's video entitled "Sunday Mayhem at Markham Park". The sad part is that the video actually shows a normal day, and not something unusual. It's almost comical.
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Thank u so much hu have seen that field so many times in video u tube now I no were it is

Comment

• Was lucky to get out again today with absolutely great weather, 75 degrees and light winds, definitely not our usual winter weather (generally high winds). Got 5 flights in on each of the A-10, F-16, SU-30 and my 60" Extreme Flight Extra V2. I've now got 12 flights in on the 90 mm F-16 using the Hobbystar 8000 mah brick, and I'm definitely going to keep that battery as the permanent power source. 5 minutes of aggressive flying while still coming in with 25%-30% battery, enough for 2 or 3 go arounds if need be. The 12 blade 4068-1835 KV inrunner has loads of power to take the extra weight and get off of grass with no problem, along with plenty of vertical. Virtually no difference in flight characteristics than using a 6000 mah, but OH the extra time is sweet.

Also finally settled on a 5000 mah in the SU-30, flies sooo much better with a lighter battery and still get over 3 minutes, the same as I used to get on a RT 5500 or the HRB 6000, so that's it's permanent battery. 5 minutes of flight time on the A-10 with two RT 6250's and 8 minutes of flight time on the Extra with a 4000 mah 6S. Who needs gas or turbine power!

Name:	20210124_114453.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	296110Click image for larger version

Name:	20210124_114435.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	296111
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• I took out a couple planes I still had on one of my old JR-10X transmitters. I have retired both of them, and put the planes left on them in my new IX-20. I really like to relax while I am flying at times. In this photo I was flying my Pilot 50cc Yak doing a little 3D LOL!!!

Name:	JM2.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	296452

Comment

• Need 3 hands one 4 a beer as well

Comment

• Finally! We are getting a little Snow. This is the Plane I am going to take out tomorrow and do some Snow OPS. ,before it disappears in the next couple days. We have had a cold snap, but by Friday we will be back in the 50's Love flying the 21.m Cessna 150 off snow as well as the lakes. just finished adding a little more color. The 150 is ready for the snow. I have been flying this one for two years now. I do not know How many flight, but the transmitter shows I have 80hrs 23 minutes on it

Name:	wow1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	296511Click image for larger version

Name:	wow2.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	296512Click image for larger version

Name:	wow3.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	296513

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                          I took out a couple planes I still had on one of my old JR-10X transmitters. I have retired both of them, and put the planes left on them in my new IX-20. I really like to relax while I am flying at times. In this photo I was flying my Pilot 50cc Yak doing a little 3D LOL!!!

Name:	JM2.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	296452
                          Now that's my kinda flyin', all you need is a foot rest and a Hooter's girl holding your stogie, a brewski and some kielbasa and then I'm with you! You don't need 3 hands as f4u ausie suggested, just put it in a hover while your chugging the beer and munching on kielbasa then go back to flyin'
                          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

• Snow flying opportunity today in Ohio. Got in a quick flight. Ancient SIG 1/4 scale Cub. Click image for larger version

Name:	E0A9595D-350A-4F82-904F-682BDAD6FD88.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	296774

Comment

• I took this one out for the Test flight today. E-flite P-39 Airacobra winds were about 10 at take off then went up during flight to 15 gust to 21 not the best conditions for a first flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0mLM86cXSU

Comment

• [QUOTE=EA-6B Geek;n296773]Snow flying opportunity today in Ohio. Got in a quick flight. Ancient SIG 1/4 scale Cub.

Nice Old Sig 1/4 scale Cub Sir. Here is a photo of mine I built in 1990, and still flying it today Finished with Sig Cover All and dope the covering is just as tight as the day I finished it. My Sig 1/4 scale has an OS 160 Gemini Twin 4 stroke with and on board starter and glow. Have a lot fun shutting, the engine off, and restarting in the air. Took it to many fly ins back in the day it was a show stopper for sure. People were in awe when I went to the end of a runway shut it off then had the announcer tell the crowed that's OK the Pilot in the plane will restart the engine. You can see the one way clutch in the photo

Click image for larger version  Name:	Zcub.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.3 KB ID:	296862

Comment

• [QUOTE=Wild Man;n296861]
                                  Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                  Snow flying opportunity today in Ohio. Got in a quick flight. Ancient SIG 1/4 scale Cub.

Nice Old Sig 1/4 scale Cub Sir. Here is a photo of mine I built in 1990, and still flying it today Finished with Sig Cover All and dope the covering is just as tight as the day I finished it. My Sig 1/4 scale has an OS 160 Gemini Twin 4 stroke with and on board starter and glow. Have a lot fun shutting, the engine off, and restarting in the air. Took it to many fly ins back in the day it was a show stopper for sure. People were in awe when I went to the end of a runway shut it off then had the announcer tell the crowed that's OK the Pilot in the plane will restart the engine. You can see the one way clutch in the photo

Click image for larger version Name:	Zcub.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.3 KB ID:	296862
                                  It’s great flying these old planes. This one was built like yours around 1990, by my father. I replaced its original, and very worn out, Saito 120 with a 6S electric setup last year. Starts easier in cold weather!

Comment

• Had time to add a tail wheel on the rudder of one of my E-flite Carbon Z Cessna's and a GO-PRO camera mount on the bottom of the Fuselage to get a few Video's Doing Soft wheel takes offs and Main gear touch and go's ( Wheelie, Landings ) running down the runway for a couple hundred Feet with out touching the nose wheel LOL!!!! great landing practice. I have a blast doing it. Weather in the 40's tomorrow, light and variable winds, hopefully get a few good video's. Like they say if you didn't get it on camera it didn't happen, and seeing is believing.

Name:	Ztail.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	297356Click image for larger version

Name:	Z camera.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	297357

Comment

• We were out flying most of the day, from 8:30 am to about 3:30 this afternoon. I was out practicing the main wheel landings trying not to let the nose wheel touch. The Video I did with the GO-Pro mounted under the Fuselage came out fairly good and it shows a few touch and goes with the nose wheel not touching the runway came. and doing figure's Down on the Deck was a blast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b06ULjUvnKM

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                                        We were out flying most of the day, from 8:30 am to about 3:30 this afternoon. I was out practicing the main wheel landings trying not to let the nose wheel touch. The Video I did with the GO-Pro mounted under the Fuselage came out fairly good and it shows a few touch and goes with the nose wheel not touching the runway came. and doing figure's Down on the Deck was a blast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b06ULjUvnKM
                                        That video is a cool angle. I'm gonna have to try that with my 150

Comment

• Finally got to the field today! Only took 8 helicopters and 2 airplanes. The mechanics of the 450 are for the RotorScale Huey. Having an issue with the spektrum satellite and microbeast not holding a bind. So still working thru that, but otherwise was a fun day

Comment

Working...
                                          X