Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you fly today?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had the eflite A-10 for a little while but preferred the way the FMS conducts its business, and the broader selection of batteries I have for it.

If/when one of my other substaintial models meets its maker there's a good chance it will be replaced with a Freewing A-10.

Comment

• I'll have another A-10 of bigger scale in the future for sure! Just not sure if it will be a composite or another foamie. I've had my eye on that roban composite a-10 twin 120mm for a bit, but I'm still holding out.

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
        I'll have another A-10 of bigger scale in the future for sure! Just not sure if it will be a composite or another foamie. I've had my eye on that roban composite a-10 twin 120mm for a bit, but I'm still holding out.
        Check the thread on that Roban A-10 first before you buy. For some unknown reason, they did not put a carbon fiber wing tube in it, or any other meaningful wing support and the few that have them had the wings buckle on first flight just flying level. The video of it looks like it was shot out of the sky by a 50 cal machine gun with wing pieces flying everywhere. Apparently it was designed by a 3rd year law student who thought he could save a few bucks and no one from the manufacturer ever bothered to test fly one before selling them.
        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Check the thread on that Roban A-10 first before you buy. For some unknown reason, they did not put a carbon fiber wing tube in it, or any other meaningful wing support and the few that have them had the wings buckle on first flight just flying level. The video of it looks like it was shot out of the sky by a 50 cal machine gun with wing pieces flying everywhere. Apparently it was designed by a 3rd year law student who thought he could save a few bucks and no one from the manufacturer ever bothered to test fly one before selling them.
          Ohhhhhhh man! Thanks for the intel! I'll be sure to do some homework before I dive into an A-10 again. I just know I want a bigger one at some point in time.

Comment

• Had a blast flying 3 ship warbird formation with a quad in tow to film the action Click image for larger version

Name:	B25E5384-6B8A-449D-A305-AEC8843DA7E0.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	287575
            YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/motionsic
            Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FPVAirCombat
            Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fpvaircombat/channel/

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbinefancy View Post
              Had a blast flying 3 ship warbird formation...
              TF, Great Photograph. Bravo Zulu. Best, LB
              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbinefancy View Post
                Had a blast flying 3 ship warbird formation with a quad in tow to film the action Click image for larger version

Name:	B25E5384-6B8A-449D-A305-AEC8843DA7E0.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	287575
                That's an awesome picture. Would love to see the video of that flight!

Comment

• Most of the time lately, I stop and think. What should I fly today War Birds, Jets, Twins, Bi Planes. etc. LOL!!!! Hear are the ones I took out today temp early this morning in the 30's winds 5 to 10 fairly nice but COLD. I put a couple flights on each one. and helped my older brother with his planes too. Might take a few Bi-Planes out tomorrow and the B-24 Liberator

Click image for larger version  Name:	jetd1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.5 KB ID:	287762

Comment

• This morning I took out my E-Flite P-51 1.5m to give it a test flight. Last night I clipped the wings 4&1/8th" on each side. It's total wing span is now 1295mm/51inches. It was windy but the new clipped wing flew great! I was surprised how much the handling didn't change by clipping the wings. Now i'm just waiting for a nicer day to really put it through it's paces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201125_093938101.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	287770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201125_093949781.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	287771

Comment

• Nine times out of ten, when you clip any wing span on a plane, it will increase the roll rate, speed, and make it more maneuverable, but most of the time you loose a little stability. These are a few tings a learned from my Uncle, who is an Aeronautical Engineer. I think the Mustang looks better with the wings clipped. I test flew one for a friend of mine, who actually is not ready for this style War bird. I flew it twice to trim it out, he has since decided to park it until he gets more experience flying. I see you went to a two bladed prop on yours, looks more like a Reno Racer. I have a Dago Red and a Strega Q 40 I seldom fly any more. both with Nelson 40's

Name:	tp51.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	287781

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                        Nine times out of ten, when you clip any wing span on a plane, it will increase the roll rate, speed, and make it more maneuverable, but most of the time you loose a little stability. These are a few tings a learned from my Uncle, who is an Aeronautical Engineer. I think the Mustang looks better with the wings clipped. I test flew one for a friend of mine, who actually is not ready for this style War bird. I flew it twice to trim it out, he has since decided to park it until he gets more experience flying. I see you went to a two bladed prop on yours, looks more like a Reno Racer. I have a Dago Red and a Strega Q 40 I seldom fly any more. both with Nelson 40's
                        It was amazing that the stability stayed about the same. It was pretty windy when i flew this morning so it was hard to get an honest judge of the speed changes. I am working on converting it to a reno racer!!! I wanted to get the 2 blade prop tested along with the clipped wings before i started re-finishing & painting it. I'll work on filling all the panel lines etc this winter and then i'll be painting it up as the Precious Metal P-51 Chrome & Yellow scheme.

Comment

• Had the Mig 29 out yesterday to play around with an airspeed sensor I installed in the nose. All went well. I usually fly it clean but went up for a few with the full rack of 3D printed ordnance - looks pretty intimidating!

Name:	20201125_165528.MP4_snapshot_02.44_[2020.11.25_20.34.54].jpg
Views:	302
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	287786
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by mshagg View Post
                            Had the Mig 29...All went well...went up for a few with the full rack of 3D printed ordnance - looks pretty intimidating!
                            MS, Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                            I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                            ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                            ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Had the Mig 29 out yesterday to play around with an airspeed sensor I installed in the nose. All went well. I usually fly it clean but went up for a few with the full rack of 3D printed ordnance - looks pretty intimidating!
                              Did you get any measurements?

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                Did you get any measurements?
                                Yes mate, just having a play around with the data to see if it can be presented in a useful manner in conjunction with some video footage. I'll share anything I come up with in the main thread (an example attached which shows air speed vs flap position).

Headline speeds around 160km/hr on an honest straight and level pass are probably already reasonably well understood by experienced modellers watching it in action. What's more interesting, to me anyway, is seeing what airspeeds are in play when flex becomes evident in the stab, what a sensible top speed might be for flaps etc.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Yes mate, just having a play around with the data to see if it can be presented in a useful manner in conjunction with some video footage. I'll share anything I come up with in the main thread (an example attached which shows air speed vs flap position).

Headline speeds around 160km/hr on an honest straight and level pass are probably already reasonably well understood by experienced modellers watching it in action. What's more interesting, to me anyway, is seeing what airspeeds are in play when flex becomes evident in the stab, what a sensible top speed might be for flaps etc.
                                  Interesting. Probably best discussed in the MiG thread. Sorry for the diversion.

Comment

• Two flights each today on the Tiny Trainer (1 FPV, 1 LOS), the Simple Scout, and the Stinger. 1 flight each on the Storch, Bushwacker, and Versawing. The Rebel didn't make it into the air, due to an issue noticed during preflight (the two sides of the elevator were not deflecting the same amount).

First flight on the Tiny Trainer was FPV start to finish, lasting about five minutes. The video is edited down to just under 3 minutes. It's definitely a fun variation in flying.

Comment

• Flew a couple packs through my Blade 150S in the backyard last evening. Here's a screenshot from the hatcam vid (Mobius Mini 2 keycam)...

Backyard heli action 2020-11-28

Comment

• Put a few more flights on the Roban 800 Bell 222 on Friday

Comment

• Maiden flight today on this GWS Skyhawk. Thanks to Callie, for the great Bahamas Defense Force graphics.Click image for larger version

Name:	E9225CC3-DB84-4D5E-A85A-3F77177D0F88.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	288426

Comment

Working...
                                          X