X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are getting better/lighter

A simple home made servo operated (pull string) brake can either use a spring to press a metal leaf on the tire, servo pulls to keep the leaf off the tire, or compress a soft rubber/silicone on the axle to take away the side clearance and act to slow the wheel.

the first will be more effective, the second will not show as much.

Mre complex, bolt a "reverse drum" (essentially a pulley) and wind a light stainless cable around one turn, Pull the cable and it will give you brakes. Much more effective if the direction of rotation pulls the cable tighter vs its hard anchor end, but it can also fail to release when used that way.

There are a LOT of pretty easy ways to make working brakes.

The pull string brakes are usually just put on the nose-wheel if its a trike gear aircraft. Its difficult to get them even and with a brake on each main you can be doing donuts when you don't want to.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• I have fab’bed and installed scrub brakes on a bunch of different planes, from a 60mm Alfa A-4 to a 90mm Exceed F-86. All have worked fine once install details get worked out and brake balance issues get sorted. Each takes a bit of time and effort to get right.

The wide wide stance of the mains on this plane will surely help stabilize the plane on brake application. Using string, or fishing line, and down elevator actuation is certainly do-able but was honestly looking for an easier way out this time. JP brakes look like good stuff but at 7 ounces (!) really are pretty hefty. Of course, maybe it’s like a drop in a bathtub when talking about this plane.....adding 200 grams to a 4240 gram plane doesn’t seem like too much. 5% of a new AUW.

Scrub brakes have usually added only about an ounce. Might just have to stop looking for the easy way out. Was hoping maybe somebody has done the JP’s or HK electrics and could comment on how well they worked. Or not.

Comment

• Could one run a wire down the strut to the tire bend the wire in a way that it doesn't dig into the tire so when one actuates the elevator the wire comes down onto the tire effectively creating a brake effect? If it were me that's how I would do it.

Comment

• Any news on the 3DPUP parts yet? The website still says late April, it's now mid May. :Clock:The batch 2 shipment of Phantoms is expected in two more days. My orders on both included a set of batteries. Just wondering, since we haven't heard anything from Motion. :f4phantom
          Don

Currently flying FW F-4C Phantom II 8s PNP, GP Waco YMF5, GP P-6E Hawk V1, H9 Spitfire MkIX 30cc, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite 1.2M Spitfire MkIX, EFlite 1.2M F4U Corsair, EFlite 1.2M T-28, EFlite 1.2M P-47D Thunderbolt v1.

On repair bench: ASM F7F Tigercat, GP Ryan STA-M, BH P-40C Tigershark

Building HK 60cc T-6 Texan, VQ P-82 Twin Mustang

Comment

• It's my understanding that the 3DPUP parts will be coming in around the same time as the next batch of Phantoms...Possibly as soon as this week.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Bummer about Joe Nall being cancelled
              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Freewing F-4 low altitude sortie.

Turn and burn...

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                  Bummer about Joe Nall being cancelled
                  Sorry to hear that. Sounded like a lot of people were looking forward to that.

Woody

Comment

• :Scared:Joe is cancelled? Why?

Comment

• Joe Nall cancellation

Comment

• Expecting huge storm that will produce wind and rain straight through till next Tuesday . I can understand the concern for safety with such a large crowd to manage. Not much else they could have done. It’s a huge liability looming.

All the preparation , travelers from all over the US and the world, many already there or enroute, all the food prep, the volunteers, the vendors line MRC, all the vacation time, the list goes on and on. A disaster. But, we’ll get over it.
                        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                        Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                        I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                          It's my understanding that the 3DPUP parts will be coming in around the same time as the next batch of Phantoms...Possibly as soon as this week.
                          Thanks for the info, Aros. The website not updated to this info, even though it says it would be updated when info received. I understand some tardiness, with Joe Nall scheduled to start the same day the container is scheduled to arrive.!! (Sorry to hear about the cancellation, totally understandable.)However, at least a note would have been nice.
                          Don

Currently flying FW F-4C Phantom II 8s PNP, GP Waco YMF5, GP P-6E Hawk V1, H9 Spitfire MkIX 30cc, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite 1.2M Spitfire MkIX, EFlite 1.2M F4U Corsair, EFlite 1.2M T-28, EFlite 1.2M P-47D Thunderbolt v1.

On repair bench: ASM F7F Tigercat, GP Ryan STA-M, BH P-40C Tigershark

Building HK 60cc T-6 Texan, VQ P-82 Twin Mustang

Comment

• Time for me to bug the MotionRC guys again. How's it looking for shipping the next group of F-4s out this week? Yeah, I know, I'm a PITA (Pain In The Ass) ;)

I have Callie Graphics sitting on my electric table and paint sitting on my other table. Chomping at the bit. Any good word or even bad word would be appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post
                              Thanks for the info! I had no idea... What a bummer....

Comment

• Any news regarding the 8s PNP version availability?
                                I hope we can have a video of this version as soon as possible.

Comment

• We've had a few more requests for some great schemes! Here are the newest additions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f-4 vf-151.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	132720Click image for larger version

Name:	f-4 phantom vmfa-351.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	132721

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDeath View Post
                                    Time for me to bug the MotionRC guys again. How's it looking for shipping the next group of F-4s out this week? Yeah, I know, I'm a PITA (Pain In The Ass) ;)

I have Callie Graphics sitting on my electric table and paint sitting on my other table. Chomping at the bit. Any good word or even bad word would be appreciated.
                                    Would be nice for some info.
                                    HINT,HINT

Also another clue to what Project Foil may be?

Comment

• The latest word I have is that the next batch could be as soon as this week or next week. We don't have a definitive ETA on the container just yet. We're hoping very, very soon now. Rest assured I am as anxious as others as mine is on that container!!

:Cool:
                                      My YouTube RC videos:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post
                                        WOW what a huge disappointment:Rainning:. But safety is always #1 Yes waiting for my F-4 also :Nerd::f4phantom

Comment

• Thank you Aros.:Smug:

Comment

Working...
                                          X