Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
    Nice maiden Itgordon00!
    Thanks. It did not feel like a maiden. Felt like someone else dialed it in then handed me the sticks.
    the one thing I will do is to get more deflection on the flaps so they act more like air brakes. My Mig 21 is like that and I like the way is slows down quickly once off the throttle.

Comment

• Thanks, Dlxpkg2000! You can count on me being there!

Comment

• Centerline tank in now installed and the cockpit is complete with 3D printed detail and card stock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180423_221419.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	129875

Name:	IMG_20180423_161858.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	129876

Name:	IMG_20180423_161906.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	129877

Name:	IMG_20180423_162000.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	129878

Name:	IMG_20180423_161911.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	129879

Comment

• Looks great!!

Comment

• Doing some more research on F-4Ds and went into some old boxes to pull some more photos. First off - my original photo post was not from 1967, but the photo was taken on August 27, 1970 [13th TFS, 432 TRWg] at Udorn. The real BuNo of the aircraft is AF 68 709. Also, I found more pictures that may help with those interested in historical accuracy.
            1. File name: F-4D Over Viet Nam (August 1970).jpg Clearer picture of 69 709. Shows full load out. Notice no sparrows in front bays. I seem to recall Dad saying they carried only two in aft bays on strike raids. May have been AAM clean due to bomb load. No jamming pod. Also, no formation lights. Camo helmets and no squadron or wing insignia on port/left side of aircraft. Camo pattern on model is a great match. No "Do Not Paint" nomenclature on nose cone.
            2. File name: F-4D Over North Viet Nam.jpg BuNo 68 731 Notice silver around engines and stabilator. That is flat black on inboard section of stabilator. Early jamming pod on port/left inboard station. No Sparrows. Camo or dark painted helmets on crew. Looks like there is some type of repair on port/left intake (white rectangle). Camo pattern still holding true! Also, notice how high the crew members are relative to canopy. I remember Dad talking about they dialed up their seats so they could have the widest view possible. From pictures of the kit - it seems the crews heads are too low.
            3. File name: F4-C Vietnam.jpg USAF 4078 Interesting there is no tail code. I do know this is a 13th TFS aircraft stationed at Udorn between 12/1969 and 2/1971. I know this is not a "D" model, but I thought the photo provided a glimpse of a jet that lived a hard life. Look at all of the non-standard paint over repairs. This looks like a crew chief trying to turn a bird around really quickly and used whatever spray paint he had to hide bare metal. Lots of repair lines. Ordinance is older 500 lbs. bombs (non-streamlined). Still no Sparrows. Does have the "Do Not Paint" nomenclature on nose cone. Looks like either camo or silver paint (reflecting tail shadow) on inboard section of port/left stabilator. Notice white tips on port/left wing tank. Looks like the inside starboard/right wing tank is white from this angle. Pilot helmet could be dark. Wizzo helmet is white... and in the right position - opposite of pilot and checking six.
            4. File Name: 13th TFS F-4D inspecting battle damage of early F-4E.jpg Notice the squadron insignia of the 13th TFS is on the right/starboard splitter ramp. Both crew have dark helmets in the F-4D. The F-4E is an early variant. The cowling over the Vulcan cannon is not the final form. This version allowed gun expenditure gasses to enter the intakes and cause compressor stalls. The later/final variant has a more pronounced/squared off tip with vents along the bottom of the fairing to direct the discharge gasses along the bottom of the aircraft. The F-4E is from the 34th TFS/388th TFW based out of Korat, Thailand.

Comment

• OK...one last picture.

File Name: Poobah.jpg
              Yep. This is my old man in his hay day! I don't post this out of vanity, but to show everyone what the ejector seat and surrounding area looks like. Ejector seat handles are yellow and black. The handle frame is red. Top of ejector seat looks like it is similar to silk parachute material. You can see colors of straps and hoses. Airframe around canopy seat is flat black along with instrument mounting surfaces in the cockpit. Note this is a back seat view. See the vents on the right/starboard intake. Lots of wear on the flat black surfaces. Somebody now has to produce a pilot figure with dual .38 caliber bandoliers! Proud of this guy!

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                Centerline tank in now installed and the cockpit is complete with 3D printed detail and card stock.

Name:	IMG_20180423_221419.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	129875

Name:	IMG_20180423_161858.jpg
Views:	1306
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	129876

Name:	IMG_20180423_161906.jpg
Views:	1205
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	129877

Name:	IMG_20180423_162000.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	129878

Name:	IMG_20180423_161911.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	129879
                WOW! Great looking mods! The burner cans look fantastic. Did you hand-make the AIM-7s? The cockpit looks absolutely spectacular! Job very well done! Please bring this jet to Jet Jam 2018!

Comment

• Amazing Steve, damn wish I was going to Nefi to see her.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dlxpkg2000 View Post
                    Welcome jthenry8.....Not sure on the position lights, but what I do know is...If you want to see at least a handful of these models flying, stop on out at the
                    "2018 Jet Jam". You are right down the road apiece. Look it up on RCG.
                    You may also look it up right here on the Squawk via the EDF Jet Jam 2018, June 14-17 thread.
                    I'm sure Robert Belluomini will appreciate this reference. ;)
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Now that's some serious artifacts gentlemen......God Bless him for his service !

Comment

• RCJD, Are you planning to do the paint-work after maiden and If so, what scheme are you thinkin' about doin' ?

Comment

• No, before. Doing a VF-84 Jolly Roger's F-4J. Something like this

Name:	acy12529_2.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	129908

Comment

• Looks incredible Steve! Museum scale territory!

jthenry8 that is great, those photos of your father. I can only imagine how proud you are. Has he shared many stories? Many of us have fathers we may be proud of for different reasons but I imagine not many of us can start the conversation with "Yeah, so my father flew F4 Phantoms in Vietnam."

:Cool:
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                              Looks incredible Steve! Museum scale territory!

jthenry8 that is great, those photos of your father. I can only imagine how proud you are. Has he shared many stories? Many of us have fathers we may be proud of for different reasons but I imagine not many of us can start the conversation with "Yeah, so my father flew F4 Phantoms in Vietnam."

:Cool:
                              It's funny...he did not when I was younger but started to after he retired. Many stories of really hairy missions in-around the Hanoi/Haiphong area. He said he can still hear and recognize the RHAW gear going off for different types of threats. He says there are some phones, alarm clocks and other electric devices that will hit some of the same notes/tones and will raise the hair on the back of his neck even though it is 50 years later.

I really hope I get to meet a bunch of you at Jet Jam 2018! This seems to be a great crew!

Comment

• Originally posted by jthenry8 View Post

WOW! Great looking mods! The burner cans look fantastic. Did you hand-make the AIM-7s? The cockpit looks absolutely spectacular! Job very well done! Please bring this jet to Jet Jam 2018!
                                Thank you sir. I 3D printed the AIM-7's and burner cans. The cockpit turned out ok. The prints of the detail parts are not up to the quality of what Motion will offer so I intend to do a second tub with their 3D parts for static display. I plan to be at Joe Nall in 17 days and NEFI in June this year so unfortunately I won't be at the Jet Jam.

Comment

Thank you sir. I 3D printed the AIM-7's and burner cans. The cockpit turned out ok. The prints of the detail parts are not up to the quality of what Motion will offer so I intend to do a second tub with their 3D parts for static display. I plan to be at Joe Nall in 17 days and NEFI in June this year so unfortunately I won't be at the Jet Jam.
                                  Hmmm..I will have to check out the other events. Louisville is in range of so many places that it makes it easy to pick up and just go to fun events. I am really interested in learning about 3D printing. I have sailplanes and all of my Dad's hand-carved wooden models that are not of a specific scale that need replacement missiles, mounts, details that a 3D printer could help me solve.

Comment

• That's going to look FANTASTIC Steve. I've done a few of mine, in that scheme. I changed things up with my FlyFly(Sundowners"), FMS(T.Bird's). So I'm inclined to continue that trend with this "Bunny". Since I was just waiting for the plane anyway, I went ahead and ordered the 3DPUP set, to add to the list.....

Comment

• I just got one and am learning as well. So far I have been able to print stuff that others have designed like the centerline tank for example. In time I will learn the 3D modeling software but for now it is enough to learn how to just print stuff. NEFI is up in Muncie at the AMA headquarters. It is the weekend after Jet Jam.

Comment

• JetJam's 1st & 2nd years were located at the AMA Facility in Muncie. I missed the first one, but have made every one since. That's a GREAT place to fly. The weather really didn't cooperate the first year I went. After that, Bob was able to host it where he's at now and with it being later in the season, the weather is usually much better. My Home club has it's "Warbirds & Classics" event, the weekend of NEFI, so can't do that one this year. I'm one of our club's announcers, so I kinda have to be there. Can't wait to see her when she's done, Steve. Rock On Brother,Rock On....!

Comment

I just got one and am learning as well. So far I have been able to print stuff that others have designed like the centerline tank for example. In time I will learn the 3D modeling software but for now it is enough to learn how to just print stuff. NEFI is up in Muncie at the AMA headquarters. It is the weekend after Jet Jam.
                                          Muncie is certainly within range. Again...this seems like a great community...can't wait to meet you!

Comment

Working...
                                          X