Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, So the Pilot & RIO are ready......"Where in the blazes, did they park that "Phantom" ? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0076.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	129101

Comment

• This is apmech1's 3D printed centerline tank for the F-4. It weighs less than 9 ozs. and is just about perfectly proportioned. Should look great on the plane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180418_005521.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	129122

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
        Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom
        FMS 90mm EDF unit
        Admiral 6s 5000
        Seaviper: What ESC are you using? What was your battery level on landing?

Comment

• YEP 150

edit: 3.80/cell. 3 minute flight time.

You can run 4+ minutes if you milk it. Typically I fly a mix of throttle and about 3:30 flight times. The Admirals are usually around 3.74-3.78/cell
          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
            This is apmech1's 3D printed centerline tank for the F-4. It weighs less than 9 ozs. and is just about perfectly proportioned. Should look great on the plane.

Looks great!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dlxpkg2000 View Post
              OK, So the Pilot & RIO are ready......"Where in the blazes, did they park that "Phantom" ? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0076.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	129101
              Nice paint!

Comment

This is apmech1's 3D printed centerline tank for the F-4. It weighs less than 9 ozs. and is just about perfectly proportioned. Should look great on the plane.

If you print it with spiral settings it is way lighter and the outer contour is smoother. Spiral printing only prints the outer shell of the part making the wall about 0.4mm thick (depending on your extruder diameter and print settings. This also eliminates all internal structures so it is totally hollow and much lighter. Obviously the trade off is it is not as strong. It will flex a bit before cracking though. It prints so thin that you can see light through it with white PLA. Makes it tougher to join the sections but the weight trade off is huge. Another benefit is print time. Printed the back (p4) section in just over 2 hours, p3 in 5 hours, p2 in 5 hours. I still need to print p1. Once I am finished I will weigh all the parts put together and report back But my guess is less than 2 oz. I printed 2 parts of my SUU23 the same way and the weight difference is worth the headache of assembly. The front of the SUU23 is too detailed to print it on spiral settings.

I am toying with the Idea of putting a servo inside centerline tank to actuate inner gear doors. But I am going to wait until I get the model in hand before I do that.

Comment

• I am aware of the spiral printing. May give it a try. Wasn't sure how strong it would be for such a sizeable tank.

Comment

• How about spiral printing most of it, but making stronger joiner rings to ease assembly and add stiffness?

This idea would probably need you to choose the joiner ring sections as separate pieces. But the payoff may be keeping it light, using less material than the full print and having a better tank than all spiral.
                    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
                      How about spiral printing most of it, but making stronger joiner rings to ease assembly and add stiffness?

This idea would probably need you to choose the joiner ring sections as separate pieces. But the payoff may be keeping it light, using less material than the full print and having a better tank than all spiral.
                      That's a good idea. I will take some measurements tonight and draw up some joiner rings and get them added to thingiverse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post
                        Nice paint!
                        Are those JHH Pilots?

Comment

• Yes....They are the JHH 1/12th scale.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                            Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom
                            FMS 90mm EDF unit
                            YEP 150A esc
                            Admiral 6s 5000

A little windy.

Pilot Seaviper
                            Video by Mike, a jet pilot at our field
                            Very nice flight. Question, I have seen you and others replace the stock fan with the FMS unit, is it better/more efficient?

Comment

• I haven't seen anyone else do it. And I do not have access to the stock power setup to compare the two. All I have to compare are youtube videos.

We do have a club member who will have the stock version in the May shipment. So then we can get some comparison. All I can say is that the FMS unit provides good sound and excellent thrust.
                              The YEP 150 ESC is also great (use the programming card). I am using the built in BEC from the YEP with no problems.
                              Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180418_005521.jpg Views:	3 Size:	179.7 KB ID:	129122
                                This looks big enough to fit another battery inside. :Thinking: Combine it with a connector and latch and it could then actually be used as a drop tank for extend flight times. This way you take off with a full load of juice and once the external battery is used up you fly in low and jettison the tank to drop the dead weight. You would have to come up with the circuitry to switch from the drop tank to the internal battery when the tank is jettisoned.

By chance I found this interesting related mod.

Comment

• You would need a high amp switch, something that can be switched by servo. So you would flip that switch, and on the internal battery release the external batteries. I'm not sure of anything small enough to work in RC though, as far as a dc switch system. And you would need to cushion those batteries really really well as not to cause damage.

Comment

• Anybody see the KingTech 30 that was just announced with pictures on Facebook? Wonder how long it'll be before someone tries to retrofit one of these little guys to the Phantom? It'll be tough with the elevator anhedral and tail hook nearby but I'm sure there's lots of brains stirring the pot right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrnflyr View Post
                                      Anybody see the KingTech 30 that was just announced with pictures on Facebook? Wonder how long it'll be before someone tries to retrofit one of these little guys to the Phantom? It'll be tough with the elevator anhedral and tail hook nearby but I'm sure there's lots of brains stirring the pot right now.
                                      I have already been thinking about getting an Arf+ and looking into adding a turbine. I think it would be easier with the K30 and as far as the anhedral stabs, it would be know different than the current offerings out there. The tail hook could be left off or made out of different material if needed. You would need a bifurcated pipe custom made.

Jeff

Comment

• We've added a handful of new sets!

Name:	f-4 phantom arizona 58th tftw.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	129438Click image for larger version

Name:	f-4 phantom vf-11 red rippers.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	129439Click image for larger version

Name:	f-4 phantom vmfat-201.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	129440Click image for larger version

Name:	f-4 phantom pmtc.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	129441Click image for larger version

Name:	F-4 PHANTOM GUNFIGHTERS.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	129442

Comment

• Callie, those sets look great!

I found this great pic of the Collins Foundation's F4, painted as Col Richie's plane - this is the one that the Freewing's F4 is modeled after. Great picture for reference use on the markings.
                                          . Click image for larger version  Name:	F-4_Phantom_II_Collings_Foundation.jpg Views:	1 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	129453
                                          Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X