Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys really make it hard for me to work when I'm watching your videos in the middle of the day.

Nice job!

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
      There are two key factors that I've found with the RoaringTops over many other major brands:

1. They weigh less than most other brands of the same capacity. For example, my Admiral 6S 5000 50C (old version) weighs 26 ounces. My RT 6S 5000 35C is 23.7 oz, 5800 35C is 27.6 oz, and the 6250 35C is 28.3 oz.

2. They have better IR readings. I test all of my packs on a Wayne Giles IR meter to tell me what their true C rating is. The Admiral tests out at 17C true. So this means the pack can safely put out a constant 85 amps without harm. But a lot of my jets were pushing the ragged edge of this packs capabilities, and they would get hot and puffy. The RT 5800 tests out at 22C true. This means the pack is capable of putting out a constant 128 amps without harm to the battery.

So between the Admiral 5000 and the RT 5800, with the RT I get 800mAh more capacity and 43 amps more power all for only 1.6 oz more in weight. And the RTs are slimmer than the Admiral and typically fit better in my applications. My flight times are pretty much the same as other packs, but the key is I'm not harming my batteries at all, and they come down barely warm. I currently own 26 packs of RTs of various sizes, and I use them every weekend. In the 2 years I've been buying them I've not had a single one go bad or puff.
      I've seen more than one person talk about the RT batteries at 35C. I was always told that for EDF's more C is better, you'll get more power from the EDF unit. Lots of posts here and other places to say that just isn't quite right.

I have noticed my Admiral 5000's get really warm on my A-10. I'm tempted to pick up a RT battery to see how they work, I'd like more capacity than 5000.

What are you (or anyone else for that matter) using to charge 6000+ mAh batteries? I don't want to spend two hours charging larger capacity batteries.

Comment

• Originally posted by MotionJB View Post
        Hey guys, wIndiana was finally kind enough for Pilot Ryan and Captain Mike.
        Nice video guys. Glad the weather finally cut you a break so you could get this done. :Cool:

Comment

• Thanks guys! There should be more to come. We filmed off grass, and more. The video you are seeing is the first two flights. This is one of my favorite all time edfs. The list just keeps getting longer, thanks to Alpha and Freewing! Stay tuned!

Comment

• I’m gonna need a bigger hanger soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
              Thanks guys! There should be more to come. We filmed off grass, and more. The video you are seeing is the first two flights. This is one of my favorite all time edfs. The list just keeps getting longer, thanks to Alpha and Freewing! Stay tuned!
              Like this one Ryan?

Comment

• OK............Now that vid impressed me as a turf capability testimony. ;)
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                  OK............Now that vid impressed me as a turf capability testimony. ;)
                  Thanks Charlie! Doing it for my peeps!

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

I've seen more than one person talk about the RT batteries at 35C. I was always told that for EDF's more C is better, you'll get more power from the EDF unit. Lots of posts here and other places to say that just isn't quite right.

I have noticed my Admiral 5000's get really warm on my A-10. I'm tempted to pick up a RT battery to see how they work, I'd like more capacity than 5000.

What are you (or anyone else for that matter) using to charge 6000+ mAh batteries? I don't want to spend two hours charging larger capacity batteries.
                    I use a PowerLab 8 to charge. On the High Power setting I can charge 4 6S 5800 35C packs in about an hour using a parallel board.

I use 5800s in my A-10. My packs were getting warm too, but I think it has more to do with lack of cooling air than pushing the packs. I'm noticing this with my F-4 as well and need to investigate adding some cooling vents.
                    Pat

Comment

• Great vid as usual fellas. Nice!!!

Comment

• Great video Mike and Ryan, I was getting impatient for the boys from Windy-ana to get their impressions out there in the air!

Looks great guys and what an amazing looking bird she is...

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Completed release mechanism with magnets and servo installed. And a test video.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180402_190330.jpg Views:	1 Size:	239.4 KB ID:	126637

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180402_201752.jpg Views:	1 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	126638

Comment

• That's awesome!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	126666

Comment

• [QUOTE=RCjetdude;n126636]Completed release mechanism with magnets and servo installed. And a test video.

Steve, This brings a big ol' smile to my face. Again, very clever. Best, Elbee

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I must give credit where credit is due. Helmsman52 (Paul) has been hugely instrumental in helping to come up with what you see. I may have brought the parts together to make it work but Paul is the one who had the idea to use the existing CF tube in the tail section to make the spring loaded release mechanism. He is a very clever individual. ;)I just ran with his idea and I like how his chute turned out so I will be making one like his.

Comment

• Superb!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:
                                    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• I like how easy it is to reset for the next flight. Now what would happen if it accidentally deployed in flight?

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                        Completed release mechanism with magnets and servo installed. And a test video.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180402_190330.jpg Views:	1 Size:	239.4 KB ID:	126637

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180402_201752.jpg Views:	1 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	126638

This will be awesome indeed!

What plans have you made this far for releasing the line? Needed in terms of safety as well I'd imagine...
                                        Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• I would expect the elastic shock cord to snap but let's hope I never have to find that out. LOL I could also try building in a weak link where the shock cord attaches to the eye screw on the plunger assembly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X