Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice job fellas! Keep the info and vids coming!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
      Now this is unusual... I may have a new 3D printer but until I am up to speed on how to design stuff to make on it I still have to do some things the old school way. Here I am making a silicone mold of the tail cone to be able to make fiberglass pieces that will hold my chute. Once cured I will remove the tail cone and split the silicone to allow laying up the fiberglass in each half.
      I hear you! It takes time and practice to model it up in CAD. I'm learning Fusion 360, and was able to model up and print a new tail cone for my Habu 2. Took some time, but it was so satisfying to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Habu 2 parts ring F360.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	125054Click image for larger version

Name:	Habu 2 Parts - S3D.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	125055Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_141814.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	125056Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_141833.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	125057Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_141951.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	125058

Comment

• One last test lol Click image for larger version

Name:	D176165F-0DFA-4BCB-A40A-83240DF8A5F1.jpeg
Views:	663
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	125067

Comment

• Originally posted by Helmsman52 View Post
          One last test lol Click image for larger version

Name:	D176165F-0DFA-4BCB-A40A-83240DF8A5F1.jpeg
Views:	663
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	125067
          That looks totally killer! Did you figure out a release mechanism for the chute already?

Comment

• Just split the silicone mold of the tail section. Next I will lay up some fiberglass.

Name:	IMG_20180325_152643.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	125080

Comment

• Successful maiden and second flight today! Maiden was done with the full load out, and the second was done with just the Sparrows attached. I am extremely pleased with the JF90 and HET 700-68-1680 setup on 8S. I get a solid 3 minutes with lots of full throttle, and 22-25% left in the packs afterwards. Without the ordnance on she's pretty fast with excellent vertical performance.

To finish this model off, I did the panel lines with charcoal pencil and a hard bristle brush to blend them, added some dirty wash underneath, and sealed with Testors Dullcote. I used most of the decals from the kit, but ordered the set of Col. Olds' SCAT XXVII from Callie. Her decals came out perfect!

Didn't get to use flaps today as we had a pretty stiff breeze down the runway. Also no video as I had nobody on hand to run the camera. So you'll just have to settle for still pics on the ground for now.
              Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                Successful maiden and second flight today! Maiden was done with the full load out, and the second was done with just the Sparrows attached. I am extremely pleased with the JF90 and HET 700-68-1680 setup on 8S. I get a solid 3 minutes with lots of full throttle, and 22-25% left in the packs afterwards. Without the ordnance on she's pretty fast with excellent vertical performance
                That's awesome news indeed. Intend to run the exact same setup myself.
                Freewing A-10 turbine conversion: http://fb.me/FreewingA10TurbineConversion

Comment

• Since this thread is dying down and I'm not getting responses here anymore, if you're interested in the sound system install and anything else I come up with on my model, find me on the RCGroups thread starting at this page.

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                    Successful maiden and second flight today! Maiden was done with the full load out, and the second was done with just the Sparrows attached. I am extremely pleased with the JF90 and HET 700-68-1680 setup on 8S. I get a solid 3 minutes with lots of full throttle, and 22-25% left in the packs afterwards. Without the ordnance on she's pretty fast with excellent vertical performance.

To finish this model off, I did the panel lines with charcoal pencil and a hard bristle brush to blend them, added some dirty wash underneath, and sealed with Testors Dullcote. I used most of the decals from the kit, but ordered the set of Col. Olds' SCAT XXVII from Callie. Her decals came out perfect!

Didn't get to use flaps today as we had a pretty stiff breeze down the runway. Also no video as I had nobody on hand to run the camera. So you'll just have to settle for still pics on the ground for now.
                    Nice job Pat, looks fantastic! Interested in your setup as well...I cannot wait to get mine this Summer!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Has anyone else noticed the Phantom uses the same control board as the A-10?
                      I just adopted something from the A-10 build to make wing installation/ removal easier if you plan to remove them for storage/transport.
                      It greatly reduces the chance of pinching a wire between the wing and fuselage as well.
                      My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Yes we are using the A-10 control board for the F-4. It's not uncommon for Freewing/MRC to cross-platform integral parts to keep costs down for our customer family wherever possible.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Now if we could just find some V1 boards the nose gear door could be made to close after the gear is down. Or does the real one stay open?

Edit: I went and checked. Looks like the gear door stays open. I would have thought on a carrier based plane that would have been undesirable with the way the nose gets slammed down by the arresting cables.
                          My YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrz...4Q-xrOOtP2C-8w

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                            Yes we are using the A-10 control board for the F-4. It's not uncommon for Freewing/MRC to cross-platform integral parts to keep costs down for our customer family wherever possible.
                            It appears that the connection cable may be slightly longer on the F-4 than the A-10 based on the product page picture.
                            The board Sku: E11001 is the same for both the F-4 & A-10 but the Connection Cable F-4 Sku: E11004 is different than the A-10 Sku: E11003 thus my guess in cable length differences.
                            What are the lengths for these ??
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• The wing spar in the F-4 is also the same as used on the 1600 FL Spitty.
                              I'm looking for a spar of about this size for a project.
                              Would someone please tell me what the OD and length is in millimeters.
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Fiberglass in the silicone tail cone mold.

Name:	IMG_20180325_213924.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	125152

Comment

• I have mine nearly built up now. Just needs a CG check, throws and decals. A couple of little irritations during the build. When I pulled the canopy off, my speed controller was just sitting up under the canopy, no connections. Kind of a pain to place it but not real bad. Also, missing the male to male connection for the throttle from the junction box to the receiver. I luckily had one laying around from an old retract unit. Very impressed with the plane and looking forward to flying it

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                    Fiberglass in the silicone tail cone mold.

Name:	IMG_20180325_213924.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	125152
                                    Looking good man!

Comment

• And here are the fiberglass parts. Should be plenty of room to play with in the tail cone now.

Name:	IMG_20180326_075136.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	125191 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• I maidened mine this weekend. Flew really well. One thing to note was the elevator neutral position ended up being the same as DCORSAIR at about 12mm. not sure why this should be different. I even moved the CG 5mm. slight change in trim but still handles well. No sign of being nose heavy although i have not flown inverted yet.

Comment

• Super Work, Very Nice !!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X