Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloft Hobbies offers top quality RC aircraft and radio gear with very reasonable pricing, fast shipping, and full service to backup our products. We are very loyal to our customers!

Coconut

I order all my CF from Aloft Hobbies. They specialize in RC Sailplanes and have other offerings.

I like the idea of supporting small-biz when possible, but like the rest of the purchasing public, I like amazonian's convenience.

​​​​​​​Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

• The build of two RF-4E Recce Phantoms

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211128_114502.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	338066Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_093325.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	338067Click image for larger version

Name:	20211231_085458.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	338068Click image for larger version

Name:	20211231_085532.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	338069Click image for larger version

Name:	20211231_085643.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	338070Click image for larger version

Name:	20220212_163505.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	338071Click image for larger version

Name:	20220212_163857.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	338072

Comment

• Originally posted by Jets and Wings View Post
          The build of two RF-4E Recce Phantoms.
          JW, One word..."Outstanding." Best, LB
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• G'day gents, does anyone know a direct match for stock ghost grey livery from Tamiya or Vallejo or even Model master range?

Comment

• another question.. i am thinking of converting mine into sundowner livery using the stock decals that came with the plane...can someone tell me whether i need paint the tail white or red for tail art to show correct? It's confusing as some part of the tail decals are white and some in red. Can you help please...

Comment

• Originally posted by subhan.nasir View Post
                another question.. i am thinking of converting mine into sundowner livery using the stock decals that came with the plane...can someone tell me whether i need paint the tail white or red for tail art to show correct? It's confusing as some part of the tail decals are white and some in red. Can you help please...
                SN, I am not familiar with the 'stock' stickers that represent the "Sundowners", but I used Callie graphics "Sundowner" markings and cut away the White portion, painted the vertical in white paint and put down the red portion from her graphics. It was much easier in the long run than trying to put down a very large sticker. Hope this helps. Best, LB

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0180.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	341488
                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

SN, I am not familiar with the 'stock' stickers that represent the "Sundowners", but I used Callie graphics "Sundowner" markings and cut away the White portion, painted the vertical in white paint and put down the red portion from her graphics. It was much easier in the long run than trying to put down a very large sticker. Hope this helps. Best, LB

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0180.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	341488
                  love the quote and caption below the pic. my first flight literally a year ago came about from 'just going to taxi around the field' and the next thing i know she was airborne... 30 planes later, i still suck and shake like a leaf.

Comment

• Originally posted by jasmith41 View Post
                    love the quote and caption below the pic. my first flight literally a year ago came about from 'just going to taxi around the field' and the next thing i know she was airborne... 30 planes later, i still suck and shake like a leaf.
                    JS, Hah, thanks. Presume it is "dialog-correct", The quote is from the movie not Sully's transcript. BTW, I, too, remember taxi-ing my first trainer, a Top-Flite, Headmaster Sport .40 out at the flying field one fine October day and thinking, Oh, I'll just taxi test and shazam she's in the air and then not in the air. Hard lesson learned but that incident took the shine off of her and never looked back. A hobby for the decades. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• I got lucky maybe starting so late in life and tech - i started with the eflite carbon cub rft and spent the $44 for the ALS thingy to mount in the belly for landing. that day gave me a woody for this hobby that still hasn't gone down...

Comment

• " I, too, remember taxi-ing my first trainer,"

Carl Goldberg Cessna 72...bought and built before I ever saw an r/c model fly. Purchased Sanwa 4 channel radio ....fitted that . Throttle reversed as down for me was accelerator like in my car (at that time E-Type Jag) ... elevator was push up for up and down for down....my logic ....... Took it to local cricket pitch and got it to lift off, fly 20 yards and set down ...thrilled to bits ... Took it to model club where "expert" corrected functions...took off and crashed it " I repaired it and flew it for ages after that before graduating to Mike Reeves 63" Spitfire.... 1968...... still keen...2022 .

Comment

• Elbee
                          Elbee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Love your 'first' story. I, too, owned an E-Type, a '72 Series 3 coupe. Most Jag aficionados never considered that model a 'true' e-type, but she was quick and sounded superb. Nothing like a burbling v-12 at the stop light to get a nod or a smile from the guy next to you. As close to flying a Spittie as I will ever be. LOL Best, LB

• Bought/built another S1 E convertible in /99 ran it through my business 160,000 miles .. roof down where poss. sometimes even with snow whipping over the bonnet ....flying jacket et all.... .... NOTHING like it.. sold on /08. Running a Merc cabriolet nowadays.... good ...but still miss the E ....

Comment

• My aim is to fly a F4 Phantom.. Work on them when I was in the RAF. Was not sure I was up to flying a F4 Phantom, so I brought a F 86 Sabre then progress onto the T33. Then brought the 90mm F22 and I am flying them all fine. I have told the F4 Phantom is a lot harder to fly then the EDF I have (( by some one who has never flown the Freewing F4 Phantom). So if I can fly the F86, the T33 and the 90mm F22. Would I be OK to progress to the F4 Phantom, or should I still get more practise on EDF.
                          The next question is 6s or 8s. Would prefer the 8s

​​
                          ​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

I played around adding a little scale detail onto my Freewing F-4N yesterday and today. There were two long skinny tubes that were mounted to the top of the two jet intakes that were antennas used during the Vietnam War. They were called RHAW antennas, and basically gave the pilots a quick notice if they had been hit by a radar beam and a possible missile coming their way shortly. I thought they looked interesting and worked my brain and hands to fabricate a couple of them, without the use of a 3D printer, which I still don't have.

Basically, I took a 5/16" diameter hardwood dowel, cut them to length, and put some curve into them so they would fit onto the air intakes by soaking them in water, and then putting a weight on the center of them until they dried in the new shape. Then, I added a bulbous front end by shaping some putty and then sanding and coating it with epoxy glue. More sanding, priming, and painting, and then installed them this morning.

I took some pics of the results, plus a photo from the book of a real F-4 with the antennas installed.

Probably a detail that most wouldn't bother with, but I enjoyed doing a little scratchbuilding to add some detail onto this model, plus I learned what those wormlike devices on the air intakes were for!

Happy flying!

davegee

I right there with you bro on the details :)

Name:	20211024_112538.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	342854

Name:	20211024_114313.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	342853
                            BVM Bandit, EFlite Carbon Z T-28, EFlite Carbon Z Cub, EFlite Promethus, FW Avanti S, FW A-10 ThunderBolt, FW P-51 Mustang, EFlite Convergance, EFlite Carbon Z Cessna 150, EFlite Habu, EFlite Styker Q-F27, HSD Navy Super Viper

Comment

• Originally posted by t33jetman View Post

I right there with you bro on the details :)

Name:	20211024_112538.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	342854

Name:	20211024_114313.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	342853
                              We're on the same wavelength regarding F-4 Phantom II details. BTW, nice looking F-4 there!

davegee

Comment

• "Would I be OK to progress to the F4 Phantom, or should I still get more practise on EDF."

Looks like you would be fine.. 90mm FMS and a 1835 Freewing are in my two and work fine off grass.. My short advice, (and you will get long advice) ... set it up mild initially, don't haul it off, keep the energy mid range to acclimate and don't come in too flat or too slow on finals........ DONT get so engrossed admiring it when it's flying that you forget your in control ! ! Good luck!

Comment

• Thanks Locharros Time I order the F4 then. Do I go 6s or 8s. Mmmmm 6s I think

Comment

• Originally posted by Tigerman View Post
                                    Thanks Locharros Time I order the F4 then. Do I go 6s or 8s. Mmmmm 6s I think
                                    That might be more a function of the stock of batteries you have. I've got 2 F-4's and installed the 6S 12 blade inrunner in both. The batteries I use in all my EDF's and prop planes are the 6S SMC 4500 (Extreme Flight 3D Planes), and the SMC 5300/6200/8100 6S in everything else. The only 4S packs I have are 4000's for the B24's, so I did not have any suitable 4S 6000 or > for an 8S F4. If you do, then I would get the 8S, but frankly with the 6S F-4 and the 12 blade inrunner (best for flying off grass instead of the stock 9 blade), it's "almost as fast" as a friends 8S (but then I don't fly full throttle a lot anyway) and we both get 4 minutes of flight time (more if you fly it scale-an expert pilot flew mine for 6 minutes on the 6200's at an event).

As far as being "ready" for the F-4, IMO it is one of the easier EDF's to fly. You just need to keep enough speed up to avoid a wing stall (especially when turning) and make sure on landing you get it in a proper sink rate with the nose up a bit so as not to land nose wheel first (which will break the nose wheel pin). I'll usually fly my Avanti or Stinger 90 1st in the day to settle in, then next flight is the F-4 (or sometimes even first if I don't bring the other ones) before moving on to the F-16's/SU-30/Mig 29 and last the F-18 (certainly one of the trickier EDF's to handle). So don't let it psyche you out. It's really a sweet heart once you get to know her. And if you have a mishap, welcome to everyone else's world, that's what spare parts are for!

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• My F-4 Blue Angel with the 6S 12 blade inrunner on a grass runway:

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• And it's "Brother From Another Mother" also with the 6S 12 Blade (Yes, I'm just a pathetic publicity hound looking for more views):

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

Working...
                                        X